Discussion » Questions » Politics » Should the Presidential Medal of Freedom have been given to a homophobe?

Should the Presidential Medal of Freedom have been given to a homophobe?

Hello:

I think not:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/16/pete-buttigieg-rush-limbaugh-attacks-115560

excon

Posted - February 17, 2020

Responses

Is it just a coincidence or might it be possible that a tag-team may have been formed?
      February 18, 2020 2:56 PM MST

Hitler had dogs that were treated well---unfortunately the Jews did not receive similar treatment---but I guess one could summarize by saying Hitler treated some living beings well and others with not so well and then judge his total morals to be at least similar to the average human.

Of course no one who sees the whole picture is likely to agree with that one person's judgment.
      February 18, 2020 3:04 PM MST

Trump cannot even think of a dog as a living creature.  

Has no use for any pets.  He has to walk and feed them.  Picture it.
      February 18, 2020 3:10 PM MST

Again, Rush/Trump/random conservative is not comparable tp Hitler. When any of those try ti eliminate a race of humans then we can make that comparison. Until then it is a form of Holocaust denial. 
      February 18, 2020 3:12 PM MST

It's the thought process that you use to determine what is comparable to Hitler that is the problem---and I think everybody who reads your answers is fully aware of your thought process in these areas.

So when you were in school, if a teacher told you to "compare and contrast," would you skip the comparison part of the assignment because you were convinced that a comparison was not justified?

This is real life---and no one person gets to decide what can be compared to what.

February 18, 2020 3:28 PM MST

Compare what you want but it ia still "apples and oranges"
      February 18, 2020 3:39 PM MST

Apples and oranges are both fruits---so by definition they can be compared.

I'm constantly amazed at how your responses to my comments frequently prove my points.

February 18, 2020 3:54 PM MST

Still not what you were trying to imply by picking Hitler to make your comparison....
      February 18, 2020 6:18 PM MST

Analytic geometry to a dolphin, Tom. 
      February 18, 2020 3:51 PM MST

Circles, parabolas, ellipses, and that annoying case of two straight lines in the general equation of the second degree when you were hoping to be able to plot a really cool curved conic.

But I consider dolphins to be cute and playful at least. This post was edited by tom jackson at February 18, 2020 4:19 PM MST
      February 18, 2020 3:58 PM MST

Precisely. 
      February 18, 2020 4:26 PM MST

Actually, medical research of any sort is the one type of "charity" I would never support.
    The pharmaceutical industries are among the wealthiest cooperations on the planet.
    They can easily fund their own research.
    I find it bizarre that people donate millions to cancer research
    but patients still have to mortgage their homes to pay for the treatments
    and it's the pharmaceutical companies who reap the greatest benefits.
    Why should they receive one cent of charity?
    If it's charity let the treatments be free to the patients.
    If not, let Bayer, Dow-Corning and the others pay for their own research and development.
      February 18, 2020 4:28 PM MST

I know for a fact that these charities directly help people. I recieved a free mammogram from one of these charities and they also cover the follow up when they saw something on the image. A 2nd mammogram followed by a ultrasound.   (I am fine) Why would you assume the only thing these charities do is give money to pharmacies? The Cancer Societies are NOT big pharma. 
      February 18, 2020 6:15 PM MST

It's big pharma that buys the results of the research and makes all the profits.
    The scientists get their basic wages, which are lower than a tradesman's, and lose the copyright on their inventions.
      February 18, 2020 6:20 PM MST

I do not know what tradesmen make in AU but trust me the scientists are making more than that in the US.

As I said I know for a fact The Cancer Society directly help people with cancer. 
    If you would not give to them...don't. But that does not diminish another person's giving to something they believe in. 
      February 18, 2020 6:43 PM MST

• No way .. but while Donald Trump is President, we keep seeing him honoring, encouraging and rewarding bad behavior of all types.
      February 18, 2020 9:33 AM MST

I wonder if he'll suggest Putin and "Rocket Man" for an honorary Presidential Medal of Freedom?

February 18, 2020 4:01 PM MST

• Probably on his list for sure!  (He just commuted the sentence of the former Governor of IL .. maybe he'll give him a cabinet position!)
      February 19, 2020 9:20 AM MST

Like ethics adviser, probably..
      February 21, 2020 4:18 PM MST

• Sure why not?  If Bill Cosby can have one why can't a homophobe?
      February 18, 2020 1:29 PM MST

Cosby's issues were not known; Limbaugh's were and are hard to miss.
      February 18, 2020 3:21 PM MST

• Many people along with Cosby's victims suggested that Obama strip him of the award once his "issues" came to light. Obama said he couldn't do it because there was "no precedence". Personally I don't think that many people would have argued with him if he had created the precedence himself. 
      February 18, 2020 3:26 PM MST

Good point.

I saw him in person at the Music Hall sometime around 1970---great show.

We only saw the good he did and the award was based on that.

With Limbaugh, his dark side has been, was, and is on display for all to see.

The decision to award the Presidential Medal of Freedom is made by the current president---Obama was a constitutional scholar; Trump is a thug who has not grounding in what represents the appropriate person who is worthy to receive that medal.

I think the award for Cosby was appropriate at the time.  If one receives the medal of honor for a wartime action and it turns out later that he was a serial killer before and after saving the lives of the men entrusted to his care, is it appropriate to strip him of that medal?

So, put an asterisk by Cosby's name explaining that we later discovered he had a dark side of which we were unaware at the time.

And then put an asterisk by Limbaugh and explain why he should never have been awarded it.

And finally, elect a better president---one with principles.
      February 18, 2020 3:48 PM MST

Oh.  Obama should have created it.  

That black slug just did not do enough to please you.  RIGHT?   What ELSE should Obama have done?  Been born in America?  Like Trump the truth-teller says he was not?  

Now you have RUSH getting awarded an honor he never deserved, and all you can say is that Obama should have taken Cosby's from him?  

Obama didn't give it to him.  

Trump is the maniac that is awarding morons AWARDS, not Obama.

No, Obama didn’t give the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Cosby, Weiner and Weinstein

When news broke that financier Jeffrey Epstein had been arrested on sex trafficking charges, political rumors immediately started circulating on online.

Federal prosecutors allege that Epstein coordinated a sex trafficking scheme by paying teenage girls to engage in sex acts. News outlets and social media users were quick to point out his affiliation with the Democratic Party and his connections to politicians, including President Donald Trump and former President Bill Clinton.

While there is little evidence to suggest that such figures knew about Epstein’s alleged crimes, Facebook users and pages are capitalizing on the link between Epstein and Democrats to post inflammatory claims that link the party to sexual misconduct.

One such post includes a meme with photos that claim to show former President Barack Obama awarding the Presidential Medal of Freedom to four men: Clinton, actor Bill Cosby, former congressman Anthony Weiner and former film producer Harvey Weinstein. All four have been either accused of or charged with sexual assault or misconduct in the past.

"I didn’t know there was a sexual predator award… thanks Democrats," the post reads.

The post was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed. (Read more about our partnership with Facebook.) Several comments suggested people thought the page was real, and the meme has racked up thousands of likes, shares and comments. So we wanted to see if the photo was authentic.

Turns out, all but one of the images included in the meme are bogus.

A reverse image search for the entire meme brought us to a Snopes fact check from October 2017. Fact-checker Dan Evon reported that the photo of Obama awarding the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Clinton is authentic — Clinton was awarded the honor in November 2013.

But the photos of him purportedly giving the prize to the other three men are fake. For starters, only Cosby is included on the Senate’s official list of people who have won the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

FEATURED FACT-CHECK

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 18, 2020 4:46 PM MST
      February 18, 2020 4:44 PM MST

• I'm well aware that it was Bush that awarded Cosby his medal (amid allegations of sexual assault that dated back as early as 1965). I was simply responding to Tom that there was public outcry for his medal to be stripped during Obama's term and that Obama likely could have done just that with very little blow back. Lol, had nothing to do with Obama needing to please me...it would have been more of a gesture for Cosby's victims as well as others that have been victims of sexual assault. 
      February 20, 2020 6:09 AM MST