Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » I've missed you guys but in my absence this question came to mind: Free will vs Fate? How is your future planned?

I've missed you guys but in my absence this question came to mind: Free will vs Fate? How is your future planned?

Posted - February 18, 2020

Responses

Fate, I just hope my future brings new experiences: happy times.
      February 18, 2020 12:01 PM MST

I can say, with all the Merlin inside you, it will as you see it to be.  I hope for amazing experiences in your future that will yield happy times. 

Thanks, Morning Person.
    :) :) 
      February 18, 2020 12:16 PM MST

• predestination

February 18, 2020 12:06 PM MST

Hi Wakko~ So did your own soul formally decide  your own predestination?  Or was/is there a higher power deciding for your soul on Earth?
    Thanks for answering Wakko!

February 18, 2020 12:21 PM MST

• “For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.” 

February 18, 2020 12:33 PM MST

What does that mean?
      February 18, 2020 3:19 PM MST

• It means pre-planned with a final destination.  Nothing happens by accident.
      February 18, 2020 3:27 PM MST

I'm pretty sure all of my brothers and sisters weren't planed....more so in my case I think..:( 
      February 18, 2020 6:44 PM MST

Free will from both your parents may have given fate a hand in having your siblings.  It is always a toss up on which came first.  For whatever the reason, I am almost positive they found that euphoric feeling when they consummated you because you are wonderful.  Their free will and fate created a great asset to the world. :) :)

Thank you Nice Jugs.  I appreciate your input.

February 19, 2020 12:06 AM MST

Not so much fate,just more the fact that my dad couldn't keep his hands and other bits and peices to   himself thankfully Merlin....:)D 
      February 19, 2020 5:12 AM MST

My future is the result of choices made - either by me or by someone else.   
      February 18, 2020 12:07 PM MST

Hi funny Shuhak who speaks within the safety of well-placed words.
    I agree.  But, (there is always a but with me:)....
    In those choices is your destiny already chosen?  It doesn't matter how you get there.  Those choices are up to you. 
    Is that correct? 
    Thank you my smart and funny friend.  You answered with my same question... you were just a little more clever than I. 
    Big winks and smiles!!
      February 18, 2020 12:24 PM MST

Caught me, did you   ;)

Ok...I'll try to be serious. (ahem)   

If you want to be really technical, everyone is fated to die.  But my immediate "future" hinges on the choices (free will) I make today.  For example, I'm choosing (free will) to answer this question instead of letting the dog out (he's doing the pee-pee dance).  Due to that choice (free will), my living room carpet will need cleaning.  My carpet wasn't fated to be soiled, rather it was my choice that led me down that path.  (Path 1- Let the dog out and simply vacuum the rug next month.  Path 2 - Don't let the dog out and listen to the cats complain that I give the dog preferential treatment (how come they can't do that).

A man born without arms isn't "fated" to become a world-famous pickpocket, but he can still choose his future.
      February 18, 2020 1:31 PM MST

Any post that I would grade at 98 or above (with 100 as the maximum grade) I hate to modify, but you are so close to 100% I would add a clarification and still grade you A+

Listen, I will tell you a mystery! We will not all die, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable body must put on imperishability, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When this perishable body puts on imperishability, and this mortal body puts on immortality, then the saying that is written will be fulfilled: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved, be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the work of the Lord, because you know that in the Lord your labor is not in vain (1 Corinthians 15:51-58).

February 18, 2020 2:38 PM MST

I appreciate the compliment. 
      February 18, 2020 6:14 PM MST

I see your point and agree.
    Thank you Tom for sharing and stopping by to offer this view.
    I appreciate it.
      February 19, 2020 12:22 AM MST

But can the man born without arms answer this question so beautifully all the while, picking your wallet up off the table where you left it, letting your dog out, and quieting your cat from thinking out loud?
    Did you see him walking out your back door with your dog and not letting the cat out? 
    Absolutely a fantastic answer to a question that has always baffled me.
    Using examples, as you did, is like reading a book with pictures.  It makes it a lot easier to understand what you are saying.
    Thank you Shuhak.
      February 19, 2020 12:18 AM MST

You gotta be kidding me.  

That is an answer that takes volumes of time and reams of paper.  No thanks.  
      February 18, 2020 12:36 PM MST

Hey! Hey! Hey!
    Coming from an entity that has chosen not to chose on anything other than strong, political issues, your no thanks is not allowed.

You must come forth in one paragraph.  I know you can muster a summary of volumes of words and thoughts entering your head.
    Your knowledge is WAYYY too Important for you to keep captive in your own mind.
    I know you are NOT selfish and Will share if poked.
    I am asking.  You can do it.  Is it your will and choice or is it predestined.
    Please don't go under the political bs.  Please just enter one sentence and of choice and I will be happy! happy! and leave you alone on this matter.
    Love, Merlin...
    P.S.  Don't deny your Merlin to come forth.... They don't like to be put on the back shelf.  You know this..... This post was edited by Merlin at February 18, 2020 3:19 PM MST
      February 18, 2020 1:14 PM MST

This  is YOUR Merlin poking you...
    Not mine.
    ;) :)
      February 18, 2020 1:16 PM MST

Ok.  I'm serious.  I want to please you.  I have no NO NO NO idea how to answer this.  It is beyond broad and I don't really think it makes a lot of sense.  SO?

Can you answer it for me?

I am not being rude.  I am asking if you will give me a sample of what you are looking for.  I can then answer, because I will be commenting on what you said and therefore, I can glean what you mean.  

You cannot seriously mean what I think you mean.  You are asking me to write a TOME.

I cannot tell you why I know there is NO FREE WILL. That will take us to next March at least.  March 2022.

I can tell you there is NO FREE WILL.  Okay?  None.  It is a delusion.  Since there is no time (beyond this dimension) everything already happened, is happening at once and did not happen at all.

Do you want me to explain?  

See what I mean?   

I follow the teachings of Satya Sai Baba.  He has stated there is no free will.  He says we need to act as if there is, since we do not know the outcome and our intent makes us co-creators in the outcome.  But the outcome has already happened.  So, in effect we are re-inacting a movie we already starred in.  And get this....it doesn't matter. This is not the REAL.  The leaving of the body is the real.  This is a dream.   A dream we have lived over and over and over again in different guises and different forms.

I am you and you are me and you  are we and we are all together.

The Beatles.

I'm trying to give you my logic without explaining a thing so you know why I was not being stubborn.  I cannot possibly explain this to you.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 19, 2020 1:58 AM MST
      February 19, 2020 1:51 AM MST

• Free will.  I'm trying to convince myself that my having a say in the matter isn't just an illusion. 
      February 18, 2020 1:00 PM MST

• Yeah, I kicked against the goads a long time, too.
      February 18, 2020 1:14 PM MST

So true.  In a way, I did too.  That is when they didn't hold up the expectations I placed on them and didn't answer my questions immediately.
    Then, I began to realize, maybe I was in control of my own feelings and decisions are based on feelings in some form or another.
    Then, I began to feel maybe I was stronger than I gave myself credit and could change the outcome of where I were to end up.  Then, I began to realize, maybe... just maybe there was some magic in all the decisions I made, good or bad and that is was why I was where I was at at that moment.
    Then, I thought about God and the ultimate destinations.  And the "then" turned into "than" and the "the" turned into action and the Gods were happy! happy!
    Either that or I readjusted how I looked at all the elements in the formula and perceived how they interacted a bit differently than the going rate.

My conclusion is a little numbing but always open to perceiving and accepting a different twist on the issue.

Thanks Wakko. You gave me a moment to open yet another idea to the whole mess of confusion with this topic.

Who knows.  Maybe we are all Gods within ourselves working with the other Gods who know time differently than we understand on Earth.

I don't have the accurate answer to anybody other than myself.  It is very intriguing and interesting to learn how others come to their own conclusions.

As you know, there is no right or wrong answer.

You are the only person who can come to your own answer.  That IS the correct answer for you. And that is what makes sense.

I was curious and appreciate all your answers.

:) :) This post was edited by Merlin at February 18, 2020 4:04 PM MST
      February 18, 2020 1:32 PM MST