Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Arts » Do you have a favourite work of art? If so, what is it? And what makes it your favourite?

Do you have a favourite work of art? If so, what is it? And what makes it your favourite?

Posted - February 18, 2020

Responses

• I shall never know of nor see any art closer to perfect, more blindingly resplendent, awe inspiring and breath taking, no work of beauty greater in all the world, than that of a boy.  The pinnacle of God's handiwork. 

And this the youthful face of he who loves me.  A man with my reflection in his eyes, who with smiling mischief keeps hidden, deep within the labyrinth of his complexities, the pure and simple heart of a child beating like a drum setting the rhythm and keeping the time that I dance to. 

High art indeed.  He is this and more.  My Jon.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 16, 2020 10:29 PM MDT
      February 18, 2020 9:13 PM MST

This would make you a true artisan versed expertly in the craft of art restoration.
    For so long,
    I have been weathered by the tumultuous winds of emotion and life's constant barbs.
    I believed my colors and definition had faded beyond recognition, even to myself. 
    I am who I am today because of you.
    There will always be, forever...only be you.
    Gee whiz...I was wondering what kept you so diligent, lurking secretively, plotting behind the screen of your laptop. lol

February 18, 2020 9:50 PM MST

My father was a housepainter. He and his brothers kept a Presidential Manor touched up. (I even had the opportunity to paint the iron fence around the dead President's grave.)  Anyway, he gave my uncle a painting of a violin he had painted. I am thinking about trying to get it from my uncles' estate. 
      February 19, 2020 8:58 AM MST

Hello book:

The statue on the mall in D.C, of the soldiers raising the flag on Iwo Jima.

excon
      February 19, 2020 9:17 AM MST

• A very impressive one!!
      February 19, 2020 9:21 AM MST

They’re not soldiers, they are five US Marines and one US Navy Sailor. The monument is called the Marine Corps Memorial, and it was modeled after the famous photo of the flag raising taken by photographer Joe Rosenthal on the island of Iwo Jima (Japanese for Sulphur Island), the 58-day battle for which started on 19Feb1945. It was the largest amphibious landing the Marines have ever done, comprised of combat units under the umbrella of the 5th Amphibious Corps.  

~

May 16, 2020 10:38 PM MDT

Unfortunately, I have neither learned anything about fine art nor have I ever developed an eye for it. I know absolutely no difference between moaning and Monet.
      Funny story; when I got married, I had been in the Marine Corps for four years already, so being single, I had lived on base in the barracks or aboard ship or when my unit was in the field, I lived in tent cities. About a month before the wedding, in preparation for married life, I moved out of the barracks and got myself an apartment in town. I took my bride to my place for the first time, and the very first thing she noticed about it was that my walls were completely bare.  I didn’t have even one picture or any other type of art in the entire apartment, and what’s even worse is that when she mentioned it to me, when she asked me about it, it still didn’t occur to me that anything was wrong. She offered to find some art to liven the place up, and I merely shrugged and said, “Okay.”  It didn't matter to me one way or the other. When she moved in with me, she immediately began decorating, and for the first time, it looked like a home.  To this day I have no inkling of art appreciation. 
      You’ve heard of people being tone-deaf, well I am art-blind.

~

May 16, 2020 10:59 PM MDT