Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what follows Gen Z? Those in the 18 y/o range are considered Gen Z. What comes after that?

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to what follows Gen Z? Those in the 18 y/o range are considered Gen Z. What comes after that?

Posted - February 19, 2020

Responses

I'm confused that "millennials" were born 1981-1996.
    That's not even the start of the millennium.

Anyway ... the decision has already been made.
    In 2005, social researcher Mark McCrindle identified the group born after "Generation Z" as "Generation Alpha".

“The emerging generations these days sound a bit like alphabet soup,” McCrindle told HuffPost over email. “Just over a decade ago, when I was researching my first book ‘The ABC of XYZ: Understanding the Global Generations,’ it became apparent that a new generation was about to commence and there was no name for them. So I conducted a survey to find out what people think the generation after Z should be called.”

While the survey produced many names, Generation A was the most commonly mentioned, but that term didn’t sit well with McCrindle. “[It] didn’t make sense that this new generation, the first to be fully born in the 21st Century, and which will see many of them live into the 22nd Century, to be labelled by going back to the beginning,” he wrote.

Instead, he looked to the model of hurricane names. There were so many storms during the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season that the names ran through the usual Roman or Latin alphabet and had to use the Greek alphabet.

“In keeping with this scientific nomenclature of using the Greek alphabet in lieu of the Latin, having got to Generation Z, I settled on the next cohort being Generation Alpha ― not a return to the old, but the start of something new,” said McCrindle.
      February 19, 2020 11:29 AM MST

Then what happens after ZED?  I think that is the Greek Z.  Then what?  Are we going to try the Chinese alphabet?  It won't matter that is so long from now, I'll be dead.  That is several decades at least.  The whole alphabet.  In Greek.  
      February 20, 2020 12:21 AM MST

Omega is the last letter of the Greek alphabet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet

Maybe we use Roman numbers: I, II, III, etc.
      February 20, 2020 7:04 AM MST

• Evidently it's Gen FREE and their vision for America is being a third world country.
      February 19, 2020 12:11 PM MST

In the minds of people who come up with generation labels, a good generation label is a label that will sound completely stupid to the people in that generation.  My husband is in the so-called Generation X and he thought the Generation X was the dumbest label ever and he didn't relate at all the stereotypes from whoever makes up that stuff.  I feel the same way about millennials.  I think it's the dumbest label ever and I don't relate at all to the stereotypes from whoever makes up that stuff.

Anyway, generation labels are pretty useless but a couple of professions do seem to need them like news reporters and people in marketing so if we're going to have them we might as well come up with a somewhat logical system for assigning them.  I vote for calling people born from 2020 to 2039 Generation 601.  People born from 2040 to 2059 would be Generation 602, etc.  It's as good as any system and it saves the people who come up with that stuff from the extra work of having to make up new labels so we all know what's going to come next.

This post was edited by Livvie at February 20, 2020 12:22 AM MST
      February 19, 2020 12:50 PM MST

I like what you said about Millenials.  But. ... I was on the inside of my house for almost a decade.  I mean I was lost in my home taking care of my mom and did little else.  Then I got out after she passed away, and went back to school and dwelt among the milennials.  I'm sorry.  I thought I could relate to everyone ever.   That is my thing. I can make people feel comfortable.  Not these zombies.  They had ZERO personalities.  They looked right through you.  They hung around in cliques and shared social information and texts.  That is all they did.  They were boring, rude and just not people I ever wanted to stay in contact with.  Bummer.

But you don't seem remotely like that.  NO.  So, I believe you.  But that label fits a lot of 20 year olds.  They are a brand of brain deads.  Millenials has now morphed into such meaningless drivel, that anyone young and lazy is called that now.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 24, 2020 7:23 AM MST
      February 20, 2020 12:25 AM MST

Generation L. The way things are going globally, they are likely to be the Last Generation. This post was edited by Element 99 at February 24, 2020 7:23 AM MST
      February 19, 2020 5:32 PM MST

It's better than TRUMP and his ideology of generation S.  S is for slaves.  
      February 20, 2020 12:26 AM MST

iGen or cyberkids. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at February 20, 2020 5:42 AM MST
      February 20, 2020 12:48 AM MST

February 20, 2020 12:59 AM MST

• ZZ, then ZZZ, then ZZZZ, etc. Humans are very unimaginative and work themselves into holes like this. Just think of modern, post-modern, and now post-post-modern. Can't wait for post-post-post-modern and so on and so forth. 
      February 20, 2020 1:05 AM MST