Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Humor and Jokes » Can you tell if your nuts are rancid? I usually go by the smell.

Can you tell if your nuts are rancid? I usually go by the smell.

The best way to describe the odor is that spoiled nuts smell like paint.
It's a distinct and unpleasant odor. Animals who enjoy these tasty treats also utilize their olfactory senses to distinguish whether their nuts have gone bad.
Remember to practice food safety and enjoy your nuts before their shelf life has expired

Posted - February 19, 2020

Responses

I really had no intent with this becoming a post resembling any form of intellectual relevance, but damn you, Don, you had me pondering which would actually come first; the itch or the stank. It seems reasonable that the irritation would be the precursor. 
      February 19, 2020 9:48 PM MST

Smell first.  Of course.  It does not take but a few hours over the limit of shower time before the body starts to ripen and sweat and oils start to give off stronger and stronger fragrances.

See?  You don't have to say STANK.   You can be a rabid gay intellectual.  
      February 19, 2020 10:55 PM MST

That’s why I come here, Jon.
    To turn over every stone...
      February 20, 2020 6:15 AM MST

The funniest thing about this post is the word behind him.  I wonder if he saw that before choosing that seat.
      February 20, 2020 10:27 AM MST

Oh dear, am going to have to go the tame and literal route as usual.

Yep, to my nose, the smell of old nuts is as clear as milk gone sour.
    Stale Brazil nuts are the worst - which is no reflection on anything else from Brazil.

Back in inner-city days I never knew how poor my sense of smell was. It wasn't until I began taking long sojourns in the country (to find ethically produced wood for my sculptures) that I began to notice a sudden richness of scents around me.

It might have something to do with smog. My studio was in a former wool warehouse and sandwiched between the two busiest roads in Sydney, six lanes each way, 24-hour non-stop heavy traffic. Aach! The fumes!
    Something inside me shut down unconsciously, shut out all but the perceptions necessary for survival.

Up here, fresh air and nature call to my senses, draw them out, fill me up.

But another factor has been my recent adoption of Moseley's 5-2 diet, semi-fasting 2 days a week.
    I find hunger has made my sense of smell far more acute.
    Yesterday when hubby returned home, I could smell patchouli as soon as he rolled open the door. An old friend had kissed him in town and left her perfume on him.

Our nuts never get a chance to go rancid. This post was edited by inky at February 21, 2020 11:01 AM MST
      February 19, 2020 6:09 PM MST

• LOL!  My dear, bookworm, not only are you of a higher intellect than some of us at times but you obviously exude far more class than we do as well.
      February 19, 2020 6:17 PM MST

At times... even the brightest need to let the little grey cells out to play a little.
    Some need it more than others.
    But how perfect it is to have this playroom. :)
      February 19, 2020 6:42 PM MST

Hah! I've never had the opportunity to catch a whiff of putrid Brazil nuts.
    I suppose city-dwelling can have a negative impact on nuts. All the sights, the sounds, the scents, all can be overpowering and yet, over time become commonplace.

I know nothing about the Moseley diet, but I will give that a peek. I can see where hunger can accentuate the senses, especially smell. It seems reasonable because when you reach the starvation level, your body's biological mechanisms become more acute to assist with finding sustenance. 

The ones that stand out for me are Pistachios. I suppose a past incident involving 1/2 a 5th of Absinthe and an 8oz bag of pistachios had some influence on that. I'll spare you the gory details, but it does involve the passage of said pistachios and the contents of my stomach through my nasal passages. 

I concur with my dear Twinkle, you exude class and much appreciate your thoughts on rancid nuts. 
      February 19, 2020 8:57 PM MST

I love you and everything you write is like a page from a well-written book from a famous author.

You rock.  
      February 19, 2020 10:59 PM MST

For health reasons, I've given up nuts...
      February 19, 2020 8:14 PM MST

Diverticulitis?
      February 19, 2020 8:57 PM MST

I prefer to let my previous statement be ambiguous as to whether it was dietary, sexual, or socio-political in nature...
      February 19, 2020 9:03 PM MST

Hah!

You are indeed an enigma, SaltyPebble.You're such a hooligan. I once had a sexually repressed Cockatoo which plucked itself. Let that sink in. lol

February 19, 2020 9:56 PM MST

Yes, birds can get quite "hormonal" at times....
      February 19, 2020 10:34 PM MST

I don't know anything about your nuts, and I can't bend enough to smell my own.
      February 20, 2020 10:34 AM MST

Have you asked anyone else?  
      February 20, 2020 1:04 PM MST

My wife sometimes tells me that I should take a shower.
      February 20, 2020 1:34 PM MST

Can you put here on here for me for a minute? 
      February 20, 2020 1:39 PM MST

• It irks me that I'm not that flexible.  Hell, I'd never leave the house. :P
      February 20, 2020 1:08 PM MST

• One time I had a bunch of pistachios in a bag and my friend tried to grab it from me and I was like "hey, stop handling my nutsack!"

February 20, 2020 11:02 AM MST

My nuts are not so far from my nose and also as yet not meant for eating by our adult pop ulation :( 
      February 20, 2020 3:27 PM MST