Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Randy D
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What's in a name? A lot. I understand the need for anonymity among some. But why use one with a negative vibe? What's the purpose of that?

What's in a name? A lot. I understand the need for anonymity among some. But why use one with a negative vibe? What's the purpose of that?

I like My Two Cents. Makes a lot of sense. I like Spunky. She is. I use my real name and I like that others use their real names too. But I don't understand why anyone would burden himself or herself with a weird negative name like CRACKPOT WACKADOODLE. Now I have not run across that YET but there are some who label themselves as anything but positive and other than attracting attention what's the intention? I mean who wants to engage in a conversation with VIPER MAGGOT? That I haven't seen yet either. It's strange how we see ourselves and label ourselves. I'm always wondering WHY?

Posted - February 20, 2020

Responses

A name represents the person behind it.  When one hears a name, their mind quickly associates it with an image of what that person means to them (occupation, notoriety, etc.).  For example, the name ‘Henry Ford’ might elicit an image of a man who made cars, while the name ‘Brad Pitt’ might elicit the image of a movie star.  A name can also make a statement. 

Let’s say there’s a guy named Bob.  Now Bob is passionate about motorcycles.  Not only can he tell you the name of every motorcycle ever built, but also where it was manufactured and what year it was manufactured.  Bob owns 6 classic motorcycles; each still as pristine as the day it was manufactured.  Not only that, but he’s building his own motorcycle from the ground up.  Bob belongs to several motorcycle clubs and even has a tattoo of a motorcycle on each of his arms.  One might say Bob lives and breathes motorcycles.  Like most people, Bob loves talking about his favorite pastime.

One day Bob joined AnswerMug.  His avatar was, of course, a motorcycle.  While people in his neighborhood could see (and hear) his passion for motorcycles, that wasn’t the case online.  Therefore, instead of using his real name, Bob (which has nothing to do with a motorcycle), he used the name “Motorcycle Maniac”.    Now people from all over the world could know that he loves motorcycles.  What’s more, it would make it easier for other motorcycle enthusiasts to find him so they could talk.  Then whenever they hear the name ‘Motorcycle Maniac, their minds will quickly think an image (real or not) of Bob …or at least a motorcycle. 

Lucy also joined AnswerMug.  Now Lucy hated rats.  I mean she loathed them to the nth degree.  So she used the name “Bloody Rat Slayer”.  Although her name probably won’t gain her a lot of friends online, it will express her utter hatred of rats.  It also means when they hear (or see) the “Bloody Rat Slayer”, they know to avoid that person… unless they want to hear someone rant about hating rats.

February 20, 2020 1:21 PM MST

Hi Shuhak. Thank you for your fine and thoughtful reply. But why "MANIAC"?. That has a rather unswell connotation.  Why not MAVEN or MAN or MAESTRO? As for Lucy why focus on WHAT YOU HATE AND LOATHE? Maybe Lucy LOVES licorice or lavender or lingerie...wait. That lingerie could be construed as a bit flirtatious. For Bob the motorcycle lover he is focusing on something that brings joy to him. Why on earth would Lucy want to choose a moniker that mentions what she LOATHES DESPISES? See my problem?. Truth in advertising probably is rare and so kudos to Lucy for that. But I see Lucy and I think of rats! Not so enticing. Did I beat that dead horse enough? :)i
      February 20, 2020 4:18 PM MST

(Di-did  I see the horse's tail flick? ...)

I was being hyperbolic.  Even so, you may have notices some on this site who closely fit my exaggerated molds.  

Lucy could have chose that name either to arouse hatred of rats in others, or just to be offensive.  Some people are simply wacko.
      February 20, 2020 5:45 PM MST

• I do it to rent space in your head.  Mission accomplished!  It makes me feel good at this very moment knowing I am the most important person in your life.  So important that you had to ask a question about me.  Now, get your nose back in your corner, didn't anyone tell you to come out. :P This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 20, 2020 1:32 PM MST
      February 20, 2020 1:31 PM MST

Many people - most of them younger than us - feel they are being cool and realistic and I guess "real" or world-weary by presenting a negative vibe. And are hoping to cultivate just those others who respond to such a negative vibe. 

I have previously reminded you of this but once long ago you took me to task on a previous site for being "Anonymous".  When really I just could not come up with anything more creative and, besides, on that now long=ago site they stated in their regulations that if we could not come up with a name we could use"Anonymous".  On here I am "officegirl" because I work in an office.  So you see I have even learned a few things in the last eleven years. 
      February 20, 2020 2:36 PM MST

• Perhaps it matches the current state of their mind. Some people just aren't very positive and enjoy wearing it like a medal. 
      February 20, 2020 2:40 PM MST

I expect what you say is true BH. I just don't get it. Why envelope oneself in something to bring you down if you are down already? It seems counterproductive. We present ourselves to strangers as a label. Over time we chat and begin to learn things about one another. I'm not drawn to the negative cruel dark in people. I avoid them. Although some people are drawn to that and perhaps those are the people they want to engage with. SIGH. As a good friend of mine always says..."It's complicated". Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to you! :)
      February 20, 2020 4:21 PM MST