Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Language » I need a linguist, please. Why are the Polish donuts, paczki, pronounced 'pownch-key' or 'poonch-key'?

I need a linguist, please. Why are the Polish donuts, paczki, pronounced 'pownch-key' or 'poonch-key'?

Posted - February 23, 2020

Responses

Try e-mailing 'Stanley's Market.' (deep in the heart of Polish Village, Toledo, Ohio)
      February 23, 2020 12:34 PM MST

It's a 15 minute drive.
      February 23, 2020 12:35 PM MST

My husband, who grew up speaking Polish at home, says it's pronounced niether pownchki nor poonchkey, but ponshky.
    I think these variations might reflect regional accents.
    As to how the spelling guides the pronunciation, Ari says he doesn't know.

But my mother's first husband was a linguist (and sinologist) at Magdaleine College, Oxford.
    He said that every language that uses the European or Cyrillic alphabet uses it in a different way.
    For instance, in Italian, vermicelli is pronounced vermichelli while zucchini is pronounced zukini.
    The way each letter (or combination of letters) designates a specific sound is purely arbitrary.
    Different languages use different vowels and consonants. So rather than inventing different symbols for each sound the tendency is that each language develops its own conventions for how to assign a sound to each of the pre-existing letters of the chosen alphabet.

English is the least predictable, the least phonetic in its spellings. 
    Consider the sound "oo": tooth, book, coordination - oo pronounced 3 different ways.
    Consider the spellings: there, their, share, bear, air - five spellings for the same vowel sound.
    Only two examples here, but irregularities dog every correct sentence.
    We learn it by rote as small children and come to take it for granted; pity the poor foreigner who has to learn it as an adult.

The only consistent rendering of sounds is via the international phonetic alphabet.
    To give an example, the various spellings for the "air" sound are all rendered as /ɛr/. This sound is named or referred to as a "schwa".
    The schwa sound is a combination of an indefinite vowel halfway between a short "a" and a short "e".
    The "air" sound is made with the addition of a slight r sound at the end.

One can see how complex human vocalisations are by looking at the IPA sound chart.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Extended_IPA_chart_2005.png

Even here, linguists will discuss with precise jargon exactly how various accents shift the basic sounds. 

However you pronounce paczki, I hope you enjoy the flavour just as well. ;)

This post was edited by inky at February 23, 2020 1:35 PM MST
      February 23, 2020 1:05 PM MST

Here it is 'poonch' I never could figure out where the 'n' sound comes from. My mother used to say "Don't pactzki around" She pronounced it without the 'n' sound. A Yiddish variation? (She was Jewish.) It meant 'quit messing or fooling around.'
      February 23, 2020 1:33 PM MST

February 23, 2020 1:45 PM MST

That's how mom said it...potchki. Thanks.
      February 23, 2020 2:35 PM MST

My mom, too. :)
      February 23, 2020 10:36 PM MST

• Because the letter is ą with a cedilla beneath it. pączki. In Polish, "ą" represents a nasal vowel and before some sounds simply a vowel followed by a nasal. So pronounce the word as if it were spelled "panczki" .
      February 23, 2020 1:34 PM MST

I'm still trying to find out how to pronounce potrzebie. According to the Urban Dictionary,  there are five commonly accepted pronunciations, all of which are wrong.
      February 24, 2020 1:09 AM MST

I haven't heard that word in a long time. It would make a good password.
      February 27, 2020 1:31 PM MST

I second what Bookworm and Nevan said, but my busha taught me to call them poonshkas. So, everyone else is wrong. 
      February 27, 2020 12:59 PM MST

February 27, 2020 1:30 PM MST