Active Now

Danilo_G
Zack
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Retirees already have Medicare so Bernie's plan is strictly for working people. Correct? Retirees have no dog in that fight. RIGHT?

Retirees already have Medicare so Bernie's plan is strictly for working people. Correct? Retirees have no dog in that fight. RIGHT?

Posted - February 25, 2020

Responses

I guess that depends on whether or not you believe adding more people will increase the cost - which will cause the government to be forced to consider raising taxes, or cutting benefits.  Or both.

Consider that both Obama and Trump have proposed changing Medicare "out of pocket" rules ... making it less expensive to some, but more expensive to others.
      February 25, 2020 8:16 AM MST

What do YOU think about it Walt? Does it make sense to YOU what Bernie wants to do? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      February 25, 2020 8:17 AM MST

I don't have an opinion on it, as I haven't read any details.

In theory, I would favor cutting the military budget to pay for national health care.
    Though I would do it by cutting federal taxes, and leaving the money with individuals - and leave it up to states to provide (or not) health care, as there is nothing in the Constitution allowing the federal government that authority.

Then we would be free to experiment with multiple systems, and find out which worked best.
      February 25, 2020 9:34 AM MST

Why can't we copycat one of the systems already in existence in other countries? Thank you for your reply Walt! :) I shall ask.
      February 26, 2020 3:43 AM MST

LOL ... I ask the same thing about our education system.

I can't remember which country it is, but they get to vote on how their tax dollars are spent when they file their taxes.
    So if you want better healthcare, you vote that way.  If you want more military, you vote to spend on that.
    Sounds like a good system, to me.
      February 26, 2020 7:19 AM MST

No. Actually what Bernie is proposing effects everybody. Because he is getting rid of Medicare and Medicaid and creating Univeral Care for everyone.   No private insurance allowed.  Any doctor or hospital that accepts Bernies plan will have to agree not to accept any private insurance.

It will effect those already on Medicare. 

February 25, 2020 8:29 AM MST

Hello again, my:

Here's more from MY plan..  It doesn't get rid of private insurance..  It just offers a better plan..  Clearly, if Medicare for all will treat EVERYBODY for EVERYTHING, private insurance will simply drop by the wayside..

I call my plan, "getting rid of the back of the book"..  The book I'm referring to is the one your health insurance company sends you, and that includes Medicare..  The first few pages tell you what the plan will cover.  The LAST 500 pages tells you what it WON'T cover..  I promise you, if you have a back of the book disease, you won't love your insurance company any more..  People who LOVE their insurance love it because they have a front of the book disease.. 

My plan, and Bernie's too, gets RID of the back of the book..  Hence, the ONLY thing left for Medicare to do, is write a check.

excon This post was edited by excon at February 25, 2020 8:59 AM MST
      February 25, 2020 8:47 AM MST

Your plan is not being championed by any candidate.  

Bernie eliminates private insurance and Medicaid and Medicare. 
      February 25, 2020 8:50 AM MST

Hello again, my:

Sadly, it's true..  As I said, both his and my plan would, in the natural course of events, end private insurance..  But, SAYING so is not a real smart thing to do..

excon
    This post was edited by excon at February 25, 2020 10:42 AM MST
      February 25, 2020 8:57 AM MST

((hugs)) Thanks m2c. I appreciate the link. My heart just sunk like a stone. Oh gosh. I'll click on it when we get back. Off to the market and errands. See ya later gator. I do really appreciate this even though I think it's gonna scare me or get me angry. Sheesh! :(
      February 25, 2020 9:03 AM MST

Stop listening to right-wing misinformation and propaganda
      February 25, 2020 9:09 AM MST

Have good time at the store. 

I have also posted some other links as well.  
      February 25, 2020 11:10 AM MST

Incorrect. I have proven you wrong before. For example, when you proclaimed that Bernie's healthcare plan failed in Vermont when in fact...It was never funded or implemented. The Republicrat governor nixed it because in HIS opinion, it was not feasible despite data saying that it was.
    Bernies national healthcare is also called "Medicare for all". It is an expansion of Medicare to cover all US citizens and it starts by lowering the age of eligibility.  There is also a tactic used by many to announce the cost of this plan in a 3 to 10-year cost. Not annual. If you were to add up Trump's rediculous costs for his wall or military spending in those terms, the American people would flip
    Of course, you would post an article from Forbes. They are in the pocket of Pharma, the insurance companies, and the bankers.  Private, supplemental insurance would certainly be welcome as it is right now for people receiving medicare.  

As for hospitals and Doctors, I utilize Dartmouth-Hitchcock (which is a highly respected, ivy league college and Medical facility).  A majority of doctors and healthcare professionals are pro National healthcare. At this moment, I am living down south with Twinkle and I have the pleasure of accompanying him to his Dr's office. The Dr is a respected professional and during the discussion, he stated his opinions on accountants, insurance companies, and Pharma gouging consumers. His opinion was that the only way to correct the run-away costs and to tame these predators is a national healthcare system. 

There is quite a lot of misinformation and scare tactics being passed along. We all kno0w who is fueling those.
      February 25, 2020 9:08 AM MST

So other than the name....what did I say that was incorrect? 

Is it paying 80% like Medicare? Is it still charging a premium to the Seniors? 

It raises taxes on a family of 4 making $29,000. Those people are not the rich. 

You do not like Forbes how about this one? 

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/04/the-facts-on-medicare-for-all/ 
      February 25, 2020 9:45 AM MST

It actually lowers the amount of insurance for families. You (through your own admission) don't have medical insurance which, imho, is irresponsible on your behalf....not just to you and your family, but to the rest of us.

Right now, the average cost for families needing private healthcare insurance is approximately $28,166 and that normally does not include co-pays. Many, like you, are shockingly uninsured or under insured.

Once again, in your earlier commentary, you got it wrong regarding PRIVATE insurance. Private insurance CAN be acquired with the following stipulation:

"it would be “unlawful” for “a private health insurer to sell health insurance coverage that duplicates the benefits” provided under Medicare for All"

I'm not seeing a problem here...There are details to be worked out such as how it will be exactly paid for but Sanders laid that out. I'm willing to bet you did not read the hyperlink pointing to that.
    https://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/options-to-finance-medicare-for-all?inline=file

I'm all for this and hope he become president. I'm sorry that the Republicrats will lose money for their corporate sponsors, but c'est la vie

February 25, 2020 10:27 AM MST

I said I am uninsured personally.  People in my household are insured.  My household pays normally $400 an month on healthcare. Sometimes more depending on what is treatments are needed in a particular month.   

There’s also the potential for direct-pay private contracts. One provision in the legislation allows for private contracts between health care providers and individuals for services for which the provider will not seek reimbursement from the government. The provider, however, must file an affidavit with the HHS secretary saying he or she won’t seek payment from the government for any service to anyone for one year. So, doctors would have to operate outside the universal Medicare system, with patients who could afford to pay out of pocket.

This effectively will eliminate any private pay or private insurance. 

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/04/the-facts-on-medicare-for-all/

No the average family of 4 does not spend @$28,166/year.  That is just not true.

https://www.factcheck.org/2019/10/sanders-misleads-on-family-health-care-costs/

In 2018, the MMI report said, “of the $28,166 total cost for a typical family of four, the employer pays about $15,788 while the employee pays the remaining $12,378, which is a combination of $7,674 in employee payroll deductions and $4,704 in out-of-pocket costs paid when using healthcare services.”

Are you telling me that the family of 4 making $29,000 who Bernie is going to tax is spending $28,166 on their healthcare????? This post was edited by my2cents at February 25, 2020 11:07 AM MST
      February 25, 2020 11:00 AM MST

They won't have to pay anything. LOL

I can not wait for President Bernie Sanders.

Keep pumping your fake news. No one really buys it except for people who have bought into it.
      February 25, 2020 12:38 PM MST

They will pay the income tax Bernie is going to pass.  And the payroll tax Bernie will pass. 

February 25, 2020 3:10 PM MST

February 25, 2020 11:05 AM MST

Whatever you say. LOL
    I support policies and honesty This post was edited by Jon at February 25, 2020 2:31 PM MST
      February 25, 2020 2:30 PM MST

I did not say anything in the post you replied to. I posted a chart from the current Bernie plan and a link to the site. (Same site that you old chart came from that you posted above) 
      February 25, 2020 3:12 PM MST

It all sounds good to me. Bernie's plan will work. 
    Medicare for all, National Healthcare. 
    Our nation's healthcare is more important than our military needs
      February 25, 2020 3:44 PM MST

Military???? Deflection.....
      February 25, 2020 5:00 PM MST

Facts...

You need to also answer the question I asked in another post. Where is Trump's Healthcare plan? The one he said he would replace Obamacare with?

With the coronavirus poised to become a major pandemic, it will be critical for Americans to have Healthcare.  What is Trump doing besides holding rallies and playing golf?

Where is Trump's Healthcare plan that he promised???

February 25, 2020 5:10 PM MST