Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Politics » If you believe that people are free to choose for whom they will vote, why and how can you then turn around and disparage those who vote

If you believe that people are free to choose for whom they will vote, why and how can you then turn around and disparage those who vote

differently than you do?  Not everyone thinks alike, nor should everyone have to think alike. 

Posted - March 11, 2020

Responses

I believe everyone has the right to vote for whomever they choose... just so long as it's not for anyone I disapprove of.
      March 11, 2020 9:21 AM MDT

• True, not everyone votes the same, but also true, some people should exhibit some sign of sanity.  They're stealing my thunder. :P
      March 11, 2020 11:21 AM MDT

Lol
      March 11, 2020 11:29 AM MDT

I am not one who says "I do not care who you vote for just go and vote"

I tell people they should only vote for a candidate whose policies you know and agree with the most of the other candidates. 

I tell people to use https://www.isidewith.com for the best information on this. You answer questions about your positions on issues and then tells you how each candidate matches up with your positions.
      March 11, 2020 11:36 AM MDT

• My test foretells I will vote for Trump one percentage point over Tulsi Gabbard. :P
      March 11, 2020 12:53 PM MDT

Well Tulsi will not be on the ballot in Nov so I will take it. 
      March 16, 2020 9:44 AM MDT

So you advocate people decide whom to vote for---and then to vote that way---by using a website---Sheesh---and yes that is what you are effectively doing..

Out of curiosity, I used either that or a similar site in the last presidential election.

A third party candidate turned out to be a slightly better match than either the Democratic or Republican nominee---But voting for a candidate who has similar but realistically unattainable goals is not a responsible vote.

Positions on issues are so much less important than the candidate's personal philosophies, morality, and ethics---essential to knowing how he might act when his position on those issues is unattainable or when an unprecedented issue arises and necessitates the president "fly by the seat of his pants." 

Please, please, please---take a civics course. 

March 16, 2020 10:20 AM MDT

I am advocating that people educate themselves on a candidates positions before voting. The website I give does a very effective job of doing that by matching the position on different issues of the user with the positions of the candidates. 

They of course can use take that information however they like or not.  They point don't just vote....know why you are voting for someone.

It is the laws that will be passed or not passed that will shape the way this country will function in the future. This post was edited by my2cents at March 16, 2020 11:54 AM MDT
      March 16, 2020 11:51 AM MDT

I don't.  I had never heard it done prior to Hillary's comment in 2016.  Ever since it's be happening.  It's an unAmerican thing.  People are free to vote as they wish.  This time around I'm seeing the DNC blatantly taking the election out of voters' hands.....now they are discussing ending the primaries and not have another debate.  I think that is infuriating.  They are now, out loud and definitively refusing to let Sanders be their democrat nominee.  The last two candidates should carry on with the primaries unless one of them decides to quit.  It doesn't matter to me if it is mathematically impossible for one of them to win.  The party should not end the election.  They refuse to even acknowledge that Gabbard is still in the race.  If something happened to one of the two frontrunners, the whole thing could change.  The party only wants Biden and they are trying to sew it up.  I will not say what I think of the party on this site.
      March 11, 2020 1:01 PM MDT

Well, let me give you a real case that outlines a vote that I would argue qualifies to be disparaged---

Almost 50 years ago I knew a person who was heartily in favor of the "issue" involved with a particular proposition on the ballot---so she told everyone that she absolutely had voted "yes" on that proposition.

For those of us who generally think it's a good idea to know what we are doing when we vote---which you can't get from a website---we knew from our research that if you desired what the proposition actually would do, you quickly realized that if you wanted the "thing" you were voting on to go forward then you would have to vote against the proposition.

Thus the possible danger of having stupid people vote---like thee Trump supporter who voted for Trump because he knew Trump had declared a bankruptcy more than once and therefore Trump "must know a lot about business."
      March 16, 2020 10:33 AM MDT