Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Report from the frontlines. Walmart in Hemet, California at 6am, when it opened. Is your area about the same?

Report from the frontlines. Walmart in Hemet, California at 6am, when it opened. Is your area about the same?

Many shelves were BARE. Paper goods especially. Bread especially too. Up and down the aisles I went and bought about half of what was on my list. That wasn't what really bothered me. There were a zilllion people there shopping early too. That wasn't what bothered me. What bothered me is I didn't see any employees in the aisles restocking the shelves. A little bit of that was going on ONLY in the Produce Department but otherwise? NADA. If the supply chain is unbroken why didn't I see employees restocking shelves? Anyone?

Posted - March 17, 2020

Responses

All non-perishable loads are stocked at night.  Produce gets stocked throughout the day as much of it must be kept in refrigeration in back. 

Stores probably are limited to what they can order, thus they cannot "fill" their backrooms.  Thus what night crew puts out must last the entire day.  They;re probably concentrating their labor at the checkouts to keep customers flowing.

The supply chains aren't broken, but they aren't nearly as strong as they normally would be.   The more strain placed on the chain (hoarding), the quicker the links will break.
      March 17, 2020 11:11 AM MDT

I USED TO SEE employees filling shelves whatever time of day I shopped which is usually around 7am.  Aisle after aisle I had to maneuver my cart around the boxes in my way. Now there is NOTHING GOING ON vis a vis stocking a shelf Shuhak. Many many many non-perishables were unboxed during the day in the olden days of a couple of weeks ago. So I'm a bit confused by your telling me "all non-perishable loads are stocked at night". Standardly or just for the duration? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday. So you are not being too much inconvenienced because your regular day-to-day life includes "sheltering at home". Me too. Jim doesn't do he usualy meandering though. STAY SAFE. :)
      March 18, 2020 5:04 AM MDT

Most stores stock at night so as not to bother customers. You probably used to see the tail end of their night crew.   In the small store where I used to work, we'd bring in at least 24 boards (pallets) of non-perishable stock every other night (grocery, GM, liquor).  That's a full semi trailer.  Customers would have a hard time trying to shop with that much freight on the floor.  Perhaps your Walmart sells so much product they have to stock shelves 24/7.  Our local Safeway does that.
      March 18, 2020 10:19 AM MDT

That's probably it Shuhak. Mostly we go very early. It depends though on if we have errands to do going places that don't open till 9am. If so then we go to Walmart at 7am not 6am. It probably is the tail end of the nigh crew. Sure pays to have friends in high places who are KNOWLEDGEABLE about process and routine. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 18, 2020 11:23 AM MDT

Our is stocked pretty good. Not like normal but things were there.  I went over the weekend. Got Everything except toilet paper.  Interesting though our little Walmart was better stocked than our SuperWalmart.

Had to go back this morning to return some meat that was bad. 
    They were very busy restocking. This post was edited by my2cents at March 18, 2020 5:04 AM MDT
      March 17, 2020 3:39 PM MDT

Yup. The stores around my area are doing pretty good as well. The panic buying seems to have eased off a bit. :)
      March 18, 2020 12:06 AM MDT

Glad to hear that m2c. It was a SUPERWALMART we sent to yesterday but we do have a much smaller one even closer to us so thanks for the info. I didn't even think of checking it out. I guess I just figger the larger the store the more they will have available. But it ain't necessarily so. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesdsay to thee! Howya doin' other m'dear? :) ((hugs))
      March 18, 2020 5:06 AM MDT

Hanging in. I am still seeing customers daily so that is good. No one sick in the house :). You stay healthy. 
      March 18, 2020 5:09 AM MDT

That is very good to know. Hope it stays that way for thee m2c. Jim and I are doing our very best to shelter in place. We like each other which is fortunate or we might kill each other! Take care. STAY SAFE! :)
      March 18, 2020 11:26 AM MDT

Lol.  It could be bad for a couple about to divorce to have to shelter in place together.
      March 18, 2020 2:45 PM MDT

Hahahahahaha! Thank the good Lord we aren't them! Oh I borrowed your moniker. On another thread I invaded a conversation I wasn't part of and I said "that's my 2 cents worth." But I also said I didn't think you'd mind if I borrowed it. Full disclosure. My confession! :)
      March 18, 2020 2:55 PM MDT

:)
      March 18, 2020 3:02 PM MDT

Thanks! :)
      March 18, 2020 3:10 PM MDT

they are stocking at night so they can disinfect the shelves as well
      March 17, 2020 6:26 PM MDT

I did not realize that. Thank you for your helpful and informative reply. I appreciate it. Happy Wednesday to thee hmc and STAY SAFE! :)
      March 18, 2020 5:07 AM MDT