Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Are your neighbors doing anything special to stay connected or help others?

Are your neighbors doing anything special to stay connected or help others?

My neighborhood instituted a 5pm driveway happy hour where everyone is supposed to bring wine and chat from their own driveways. I didn't join because my two closest neighbors wouldn't participate and nobody else is in earshot, but I thought it was a cool idea. 

Posted - March 21, 2020

Responses

No...it appears that everyone is huddled away at home. It's still cold here, so many of us hibernate anyway. Snow today.
      March 21, 2020 11:30 AM MDT

No.  Most people in this neighborhood have retreated into their houses like turtles into their shells.  Although my weirdo next door neighbors still come out to smoke their bongs and play with their cats.  
      March 21, 2020 12:37 PM MDT

Not that I know of.  I live in an apartment building.  People don't socialize much with one another in the best of times.  When I move here 40+ years ago, lots of neighbors came outside in the ice weather, sat on the benches in front of the building and socialized.  Over the years, most of those folks have either died or moved and the people moving in now are not interested in sitting out.  I hardly know anyone in my building and only two neighbors on my floor.  I do chat with a few others when we happen to meet on the street, but not for any length of time.  Frankly, I'm not terribly unhappy about that.  
      March 21, 2020 12:38 PM MDT

“I didn't join because my two closest neighbors wouldn't participate and nobody else is in earshot

Hmmm. Sounds suspicious to me. You’re either part of the problem or you’re part of the cure.

I’ll tell you what: just to be on the safe side, I’m reporting you immediately to the Health Dept, the County Supervisor’s Office, the Neighborhood Watch, the homeowners’ association, animal control, the Polish Consulate, PTSA, Masters and Johnson, the local chapters of PETA and SPCA, the LPGA, the NSA, the CIA, the IRS, the FBI, the FCC, the FAA, InterPol, FEMA, NAACP, the NEA, ATF, the EPA, the ERA, the DEA, ICE, MADD, AA, NA, the KKK, the mattress-tag police, the police department‘s cold case unit, the vice squad, the Motion Picture Museum, and CNN. 

I’ve already opened an investigative case on you with the Grammar Police. Results are pending. 

Signed,
    Concerned Citizen
    ~
      March 21, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

Anybody but the mattress tag police. Please! I'm innocent. The tag came off lawfully and after consulting with my attorney. Plus, it was already partially damaged upon arrival. Mostly off all on its own, I swear. I hardly touched it. In fact. I didn't. I don't know what you're talking about. It's still firmly attached.

Psst... anybody know where I can get a legit-looking mattress tag on short notice? 
      March 21, 2020 5:56 PM MDT

(((Okay, but it’ll cost you plenty.)))

~
      March 24, 2020 10:05 PM MDT

You forgot the library cop.

March 24, 2020 9:49 AM MDT

Someone in my street started a support group on WhatsApp and publicised it by putting flyers through everyone's door. The main idea was to find out if there was anyone in the street who wanted someone to shop or pick up prescriptions for them owing to self-isolation or because they felt unsafe going out. So far, we've had a lot of interest from potential volunteers but not much from people in need of our services. Although some people have used the group as a way of keeping in touch with each other and offering mutual support on a one-to-one basis for people they already know.
      March 24, 2020 7:18 AM MDT

Did you sanitize the flyer before you picked it up?
      March 24, 2020 9:50 AM MDT

No - just doused it in kerosene and blow-torched it. 
      March 24, 2020 12:23 PM MDT