Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Have you ever worked for someone with a genuine mental health issue like bipolar disorder or BPD? How'd you survive it?

Have you ever worked for someone with a genuine mental health issue like bipolar disorder or BPD? How'd you survive it?

Posted - March 21, 2020

Responses

• Everywhere I've worked there was someone with the company who has BPD. :P
      March 21, 2020 11:40 AM MDT

For someone, no.  With someone, yes.  
      March 21, 2020 12:24 PM MDT

It would be easier to ask me if I have never worked for such people.

~
      March 21, 2020 1:00 PM MDT

Randy D are you having a stressful day?  po baby, hugs))))))))
      March 21, 2020 1:41 PM MDT

On the contrary, I’m very relaxed today. Things are going great.  You?

:)
      March 21, 2020 1:57 PM MDT

LMAO
      March 21, 2020 5:35 PM MDT

•   March 21, 2020 5:41 PM MDT

I suspect so, but not confirmed. 
      March 21, 2020 1:55 PM MDT

as someone with BPD, im curious about the inspiration of this question
      March 21, 2020 3:22 PM MDT

I think someone I work for has untreated and unmanaged bipolar disorder and perhaps something else. Her moods are all over the place and it's very hard to predict what she'll say or do at any given moment. Even her approach and expectations shift drastically. You can shift your approach to appease her and the next day she'll want something entirely different and claim she never wanted what she asked for in the first place. I initially thought it was just because she was doing too much and overwhelmed- that she never gave anything her full attention and perhaps sometimes just went along with things because she wasn't focused. But, the day before yesterday I put together a project and she specifically told me I'd done something wrong and undid it herself. I have a recording because she taped the meeting. Then yesterday, she wrote me a letter asking why I didn't do it and I had to explain that I did, but that she undid it... which was weird. She ignored me and explained how to do it... which I didn't need because I'd done it the first time... So... I don't know. Whatever she's got going on, it feels very similar to bipolar disorder because she's got the manic depressive states, but I feel like there's something else... BPD doesn't cause people to "forget" what they told someone the day before. Others have accused her of gaslighting because of this, but I think she genuinely believes the things she says. 

I spoke with previous employees and the whole team has walked out a couple times all at once because of this behavior. I was warned it would happen but I didn't personally experience for the first nine months I worked with her. The previous employees told me to quit. I don't feel quite ready for that at the moment. I have some faith I can manage this if I help funnel her energy into something productive and keep her stress levels low. Ergo, I was hoping others had experienced this and had ways to cope. If this was a relationship, her stuff would be on the curb. lol But I may be able to work with her if I can figure out the right formula. 
      March 21, 2020 5:49 PM MDT

No you won't.  If she has untreated BPD there is no formula. Formulas come and go by the hour.  I wish I knew nothing about this, but I do.
      March 22, 2020 6:52 PM MDT

No. But I did grow up with people with the condition.

In my experience as long as the person remained on their treatment schedule they were fine. 

March 21, 2020 4:16 PM MDT

It isn't a condition.  It's one of the worst psychiatric diagnoses out there.  
      March 22, 2020 7:18 PM MDT

I know exactly what it is. And just how devastating it is for the person and the loved ones of the person. Especially if the treatment is not followed. 
      March 22, 2020 7:38 PM MDT

Yes...I've worked for myself before. I'm still here.
      March 21, 2020 4:56 PM MDT

I have she was a cousin to the Queen of England and she was way crazy but because she had lots of money I pretended she was just eccentric. She used to fire people for the craziest of reasons but her and I got along royally because she figured I was the kind of man that knew the difference between Pixies and fairies - once she had me build a  trap so that I could catch the Pixies in the rose garden and move them to another section of her property. Because I did such a good job at catching the Pixies  she gave me a wool hat that she said once belonged to Prince Philip. Cheers and happy weekend! 
      March 21, 2020 6:18 PM MDT

LMAO That is awesome. Just roll with the crazy. Excellent. 
      March 21, 2020 6:45 PM MDT