Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » How are the wild animals responding to COVID-19? Have you noticed any change in their behavior since we aren't out as much?

How are the wild animals responding to COVID-19? Have you noticed any change in their behavior since we aren't out as much?

Posted - March 26, 2020

Responses

Our vet said animals are immune. Our cat appears to be more demanding than usual with Pat home.
      March 26, 2020 5:03 PM MDT

• I think I'm screwed!  My dogs got in a fight a little while ago and I was bit 3 times. :P

*true story
      March 26, 2020 7:47 PM MDT

Hi Wakko~  More to the point, are you okay?  I mean obviously you are by means of working your brain in the "Awesome Wakko Way," but were you bleeding?  
    Have you updated your tetnus shot?
    I'm sorry your dog was in a bad mood.  I certainly hope the dogs figured out their differences and there is peace back at your home.
    Take Care of yourself.
    I would be seriously bummed if you were deformed in any way.

March 30, 2020 9:40 AM MDT

• I'd be a little bummed, too. :P
      March 30, 2020 9:50 AM MDT

Big Winks and Smiles!!

March 30, 2020 10:03 AM MDT

There's a chance that not all animals are immune.
    Experts believe COVID-19 first arose through human contact with animals at a live animal market in Wuhan.
    These markets tend to have many and exotic animals.

However, I think wild animals are highly unlikely to come in contact with humans carrying the virus.
    In my rural area, I've seen no change in the behaviours of birds and marsupials, nor livestock.

Pets will be delighted to have their humans at home full time. :)

People tell me the streets are eerily empty in town.
    I'm going shopping soon, so I'll get to see it.

I imagine the ibises and seagulls are hungry because there's no one throwing tidbits; they'll return to their wilder food sources.
      March 26, 2020 8:18 PM MDT

Hi bookworm~
    It's always a pleasure to see you around.  This is the first time I've had a moment to come back and repond to all the nice people who answered my questions.
    We've been really busy over at the Merlin household.  Even though we are all trying to do our part in staying indoors, it drives me crazy and both our jobs require us to be outside and have been pardoned by The President.  Contrustion work is a given "need."  Don is allowed to work as am I.
    I'm not sure if that is a curse or a blessing.  I can tell you driving to work is a Truly Blissful Experience.  
    Since there are very few people on the roads, Don has been able to cut his commute time by AN HOUR.  I can get to the beach, going the speed limit, in 27 minutes. 
    It is amazing how beautiful the drive is and how relaxing it can be.

I went on there a bit about just how this virus has changed many daily tasks.  Even though it didn't directly relate to my question, it did (if you stretch your mind. ;))
    There are certainly less wild animal fatalities on the side of the road.  This is a good thing.
    :) :)
    Also, my question wasn't worded very well.  The thoughts and answers I was trying to engage were about the aboundancy or sparsness of the wild/domesticated animals.
    I am aware it doesn't have quite the effect on them as it does on us. 
    Thank goodness for that.  
    Thank you for your thoughts and happy shopping. :) :)  The shops that are open are going to be a breeze to shop through.  I have enjoyed to emptiness because of the ease of getting there.  The variety is certainly lacking but the open lines are a relief.
    Happy and Healthy thoughts and vibes to you bookworm.
    See you soon on another, I hope!

March 30, 2020 9:50 AM MDT

I don't know if it has anything to do with it but we seen a herd of deer in the neighbor's yard. We normally see 2-4 at a time but this was at least 10 all together. 
      March 27, 2020 7:40 PM MDT

That is exactly what I was referring to my2cents!
    I was wondering is they were feeling brave and coming out to explore areas they usually don't.
    Perfect!
    Thanks my2cents!
    See you soon!
      March 30, 2020 9:52 AM MDT

Coyotes are being seen on the empty San Francisco Streets

https://www.sfgate.com/living-in-sf/article/Coyotes-are-being-seen-on-the-empty-streets-15159105.php

Coyotes in South San Francisco and Beyond – What to do ... This post was edited by Archerchef at March 30, 2020 9:52 AM MDT
      March 28, 2020 8:07 AM MDT

That you Archerchef.  This was exactly what I was wondering about.
    I am aware most animals are immune to COVID-19.  I was really interested in the behaviorial changes, if any, people had seen or heard about.
    There was an article that some monkeys are starving and dying in Tiawan because tourism is down.
    I was shocked.  I didn't realize they relied on humans so much they had become slightly domesticated and learned to rely on our food.  
    The interaction of us and them has a funny way of interweaving.
    Great Example and post.
    Thanks again, Archerchef!
      March 30, 2020 10:00 AM MDT

Merlin in a lot of the Asian Tourist areas Monkeys are the pigeons so to speak.  That is they depend on tourist handouts and garbage. 

On behavior there is a village in Wales which is being invaded by Rams and their Harems.  Since everyone is inside they are wandering the village.  Here some walking trails are dangerous because of Boar encroachment
      April 1, 2020 1:15 PM MDT