Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » About time? President Trump has invoked the Defense Production Act to require GM to prioritize ventilator production.

About time? President Trump has invoked the Defense Production Act to require GM to prioritize ventilator production.

Earlier today, GM announced a partnership to accelerate ventilator production.  Trump also signed the $2 trillion bill.  

Posted - March 27, 2020

Responses

Because they were showed to have lied. 
    First GM said they would produce 40,000 ventilators then changed it to 6,000.  And sounds like they changed the pricing as well. 
      March 27, 2020 3:16 PM MDT

All of this should have happened 
    long before now and we
    could have been in front of it all, but you know who
    "Asleep at the wheel" said he knew better than
    anyone, fake news from press Blame it
    on the Dems he said, and
    don't worry it'll just disappear. 
    and wouldn't acknowledge the Virus
    but more concerned about himself.
         About GM...All projects while in thought
    before production, do not see some things
    until production begins and then things change
    because of seeing things that were not seen
    before production. 
         Being a General Contractor 
    too many times i have lost my rear end
    because of not prior seeing every single little detail
    of the job....So could empathize with that of GM.
    However all too true of what you say my2.

This post was edited by Baba at March 28, 2020 5:56 AM MDT
      March 27, 2020 3:44 PM MDT

Bet the Trump team has not thought  far enough ahead  to make sure that that GM has enough parts to make the respirators - like plastic tubing and stuff like that. Cheers!
      March 27, 2020 4:00 PM MDT

That would suggest that there are times when Trump actually thinks beyond the moment he's in.
      March 27, 2020 11:07 PM MDT

Now if we can force Boeing to start making toilet paper....
      March 27, 2020 4:40 PM MDT

I hope it's better than their Max 747s.  
      March 27, 2020 11:05 PM MDT

• Poor people have no choice but to bend over and take the f***ing.  All our taxes paid in and the middle class and rich reap the benefits.  I've never seen such a strong case for inequality in my life!  HOW will poor individuals/families with lower levels jobs (or are now unemployed due to the virus) survive?  Or are we supposed to...
      March 27, 2020 4:58 PM MDT

If I'm reading what this bill is offering correctly, the poorer folks will get two $1200 payments - one in April and one in May.  There is also $500 additional per child.  I have never been in the position of not earning enough to pay for my needs, but I know there are a lot of people who don't.  In some cases, people spend a lot of money they don't have on items they don't really need.  If you earn a low salary, I'm pretty sure you don't need the latest model iPhone, flat screen TV, premier cable channels, Air Jordans for your kid, etc.  I'm not saying it's easy, but there are ways to decrease your spending.  Unemployment has been increased in many cases and extended another 39 week, I believe.  I don't know what skills you have or where you live, but Amazon, Walmart, CVS and a host of other big companies are hiring bigtime.  Put pride aside and take a job for a little less money than you're used to making to keep your family together and when the good times roll around, you can get another, better job.  
      March 27, 2020 11:04 PM MDT

• I've never lived above my means.  In fact, I've lived below them.  Hell, I buy new clothes around every 7 years, they practically have to rip up the butt before I throw 'em away. 

Anyway, there is so much in this bill that I don't understand, and from one day to the next the stories seem to change about what's actually in it, and a lot of it has NOTHING to do with stimulating ANYTHING!
      March 28, 2020 9:14 AM MDT

I agree and I guess we won't know exactly how the bill shakes out until it actually starts to be put into action.  I'm sure there's plenty of pork in it for both sides, but unfortunately, that's the way things work in DC.  

I wasn't suggesting that YOU live above your means, but a lot of folks do and a lot of folks buy things they can really do without rather than more important stuff.  
      March 28, 2020 12:48 PM MDT

As Spunky said and unemployed will get their regular unemployment plus $600 a week.  That may start next week. So it reg ue pays $200 a week that person will get $800 a week. 
      March 28, 2020 5:55 AM MDT

• I'm going to want to revisit this in April and May.  
      March 28, 2020 9:16 AM MDT