Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Antibacterial soaps were the rage decades ago. Then we were told to STOP USING THEM. Why?

Antibacterial soaps were the rage decades ago. Then we were told to STOP USING THEM. Why?

Because bacteria build up an immunity to antibacterial anything and if you need a shot to fight a virus or bactieral infection it MAY NOT WORK AT ALL because you've built up an immunity to it. Didja know that or has that changed over time? Anyone?

We never use antibacterial soap. Never ever. The only thing we use is LYSOL. Not on our hands. Those we wash with hot water and soap. What are y'all doing?

Posted - March 29, 2020

Responses

I was told it was because the antibacterial soap and germx worked too well. Killing everything.  Not allowing our immune system to be exposed to the germ. So it would not create antibodies to kill that germ. As the old saying goes "use it or lose it"
      March 29, 2020 7:36 AM MDT

That is not what was told to us decades ago. Bacteria develop immunity to things we use to kill it which is why every year during flu season we have to come up with something else. In any case we don't use the stuff but we have ALWAYS washed our hands dozens of times daily. And we get our flu shots ever year. Fingers crossed our social distancing, wearing gloves and using cholorox/lysol to sanitize surfaces is enough. Did you know you can be reinfected? That's scary. Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Monday to thee! STAY  SAFE.
      March 30, 2020 3:37 AM MDT

That is what I was taught in my sciences classes.  Does not matter same result. Should not use it all the time. 

But to put some worry away for you:

Fauci does not believe people will be able to be reinfected.   He is not 100% but would bet anything that people who have had it will be immune to getting it again. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-fauci-those-who-recover-will-be-immune-2020-3

March 30, 2020 6:01 AM MDT

There is a case in Wuhan China of a man who released and then was readmitted because he was reinfected and two days after readmittance he died. It is  possible to be reinfected with any virus...unlike
    Further immunity may be short-term and not permanent. This post was edited by RosieG at March 31, 2020 3:34 AM MDT
      March 31, 2020 3:33 AM MDT

Then he was released before he was disease free. China has lied from the beginning of this so not a surprise that they are continuing to lie. Claiming people are clear before they are. 
    They lied about closing the wet market that the disease is linked with....no it is open and operating.
      March 31, 2020 6:38 AM MDT

The virus lasts up to 8 days in the body after symptoms leave.  So they sent him home because no symptoms. But he still had the disease. 
      March 31, 2020 10:27 AM MDT

I don't use anything anti-bacterial for exactly that reason.  Nature gives you an immune system and the more germs to which you're exposed, the better that system works.  Those soaps kill off bad bacteria and the good bacteria that naturally protects you.  I don't use hand sanitizer either.  I wash my hands often and don't touch my face even before this virus.  
      March 29, 2020 4:25 PM MDT

Ditto L. We don't use hand sanitizer either. But the folks who manufacture the stuff made out like bandits apparently. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 30, 2020 3:34 AM MDT

They sure did.  That was the stock to buy!
      March 30, 2020 5:38 AM MDT

Odd that. Folks flocks to things are bad for them thinking they are doing the right thing. SIGH. Thank you for your reply! :)
      March 31, 2020 3:45 AM MDT

It is one of the things the CDC said to use. 
      March 31, 2020 6:39 AM MDT

Because they're ignorant.  
      March 31, 2020 10:15 AM MDT

Antibiotics won't kill virii anyway, but ordinary soap can kill those with a fatty outer coating - such as the Corona genus. It does so by dissolving the fat, but it does require thorough use.
      April 3, 2020 7:20 AM MDT