Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Names » Have you ever traced the origins of your surname? If so, did you find anything interesting, surprising, strange or funny?

Have you ever traced the origins of your surname? If so, did you find anything interesting, surprising, strange or funny?

~

Posted - March 31, 2020

Responses

Yes. I am the 'son of will'. Isn't that amazing?
      March 31, 2020 9:26 AM MDT

No, but I did find out something surprising about one of my ancestral surnames. My maternal grandmother always claimed that her own great-grandfather, William Nickisson, was Danish (or Norwrgian - I forget which). My own research indicates that this is untrue - it's an English surname that just happens to have a Scandinavian-looking spelling. The other part of the family legend - that he was raised in a prosperous family but was later cut off by his parents after he eloped with a household servant - did however turn out to be true.
      March 31, 2020 9:59 AM MDT

I can understand that last part: I’ve had my own trouble keeping my hands off of the hired help. (Cough, cough.)

~
      March 31, 2020 7:54 PM MDT

No...I have no interest in my sperm-donor's name. I don't even like it.
      March 31, 2020 10:21 AM MDT

• It pretty much means cross.
      March 31, 2020 10:36 AM MDT

Yes, and it has engendered some pretty interesting results. Good to see you again on here again, Randy D. I haven't been on here for some time for obvious reasons.
      March 31, 2020 3:52 PM MDT

(((((How are they obvious?)))))

~
      March 31, 2020 7:45 PM MDT