Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Element 99
Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Weather » Have you never seen snow? Up close, that is.

Have you never seen snow? Up close, that is.

Posted - April 3, 2020

Responses

We get snow every year.
      April 3, 2020 8:37 AM MDT

Unfortunately... no.    Up close it's ice... cold, glove-piercing, finger-numbing, car-chain jamming, ice!
      April 3, 2020 9:50 AM MDT

You are the only one to catch it. AP
      April 4, 2020 8:28 AM MDT

• Yes. Although it doesn't snow where I live, I've been going up to the Sierras in the winter since I was an infant. My first memory of being in the snow was when I was about 4. I thought it was the most wonderful magical thing ever. 
      April 3, 2020 11:14 AM MDT

Not since this morning.
      April 3, 2020 9:57 PM MDT

Yes, and more of it than I ever care to see at any time in my life. I was born in a city where snowy winters are a fact of life. When I turned 18 years old, I enlisted in the Marine Corps and went to San Diego, CA for boot camp. After boot camp, for my first year in the Corps, I was stationed in El Toro, CA; Tustin, CA; and Camp Pendleton, right outside of Oceanside, CA. From there, I transferred to Kailua, HI for the next five years. While stationed in Hawaii, I was in a unit that alternated between spending 8 months there, and 6 months aboard ship on Western Pacific Deployments, which put me overseas in such countries as Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Oman, the Philippines, Singapore, Somalia, South Korea, Thailand, etc. 
      Long story short, after having been born and raised for 18 years with snow being a part of everyday life,  I was away from it for for so long in the tropics that I became used to life without snow, and I don’t miss it ONE BIT. I got so spoiled that I wouldn’t even go back to visit family unless it was the middle of summer. Yes, I’ve seen snow before, but it’s been decades, and I never want to see it again.

~

April 4, 2020 4:16 AM MDT

Dang...I can't believe I hooked you in on this one.
      April 4, 2020 8:27 AM MDT

As a youngster, I lived in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney. The tops of those hills get a light dusting most years. It only snows at altitude in mainland Australia.
    My daughter complains that she's never seen snow, my wife always replies that she has - because it snowed outside the hospital she was born in the day after, and her mother held her up to the window and SHOWED her, one day old. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at April 4, 2020 2:18 PM MDT
      April 4, 2020 4:39 AM MDT

Cool...pun intended.
      April 4, 2020 8:26 AM MDT