Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Education » I'm having trouble concentrating on my work, any suggestions?

I'm having trouble concentrating on my work, any suggestions?

It's the coronavirus that has me worried.  I worry about my loved ones and those running out of food I've never met.  

Posted - April 4, 2020

Responses

* Tune out.  Yes we want to know the news, but most of it is negative and that promotes worry and depression.  Limit your news intake - one or twice a day ,and then only briefly.  Don't let the headlines scare you.  Most are done simply for sensationalism, not to impart information.

* Live in the here and now.  While it's ok for one to try to prepare for the future, we must realise that no one really knows what will happen (did you think you'd be where you are now a few months ago?).  We can only do what it is in our control to do.

* Relax.  Do yoga, breathing exercises, or walk.  When we worry/stress our bodies tighten up - literally.  When that happens, we tend to focus on that tightness, which makes us even more tight.  By taking our focus off that tightness, we allow it to loosen up.

* Know your limits.  Its ok to be concerned for others, however worrying about someone you have no control over (you can't help them) does no one any good.  

* Laugh.  Laughter truly is the best medicine.  It's free (no co-pays), its available anytime, anywhere (just don't let it wake your neighbors at 3am), and it's one medication that's really hard to OD on (meaning, feel free to become a laughter junkie).

April 4, 2020 11:35 AM MDT

Thank you.
      April 4, 2020 12:38 PM MDT

It's a worrying time for many, we've none of us seen anything like this and there is much uncertainty. We are stuck home and the news keeps on telling us of increasing death rates and panic buying. It's hard to not be worried in a setting like that. Ultimately though, we can't do anything and worrying doesn't change the situation.. So somehow, someway we must find a way to keep worry to a minimum 
      April 4, 2020 2:44 PM MDT

Keep in touch with your loved ones by phone or email .
    So long as they're practising isolation and good hygiene they are highly likely to come through this without catching the virus.

I'm assuming when you imagine people running out of food, you're referring to people who - for whatever reason - can't get out once a week to do their shopping and are too poor to pay for delivery services.
    If so, consider joining one of the hundreds of charities that has sprung up to assist people.
    There are many ways to do this:
    volunteer on the phones or websites to help organises deliveries,
    donate time in a warehouse that packs the food and groceries,
    or become a delivery driver (wearing a mask, frequently washing hands, and keeping five to six feet away from others.)
    If there's no free food-delivery service in your area, start one. Even Facebook can be used in this way. It's amazing how fast the word spreads if you use a popular social site.

I also agree with all the tips Shuhak offered.
      April 4, 2020 2:47 PM MDT