Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Are babies dumb?

Are babies dumb?

Posted - April 4, 2020

Responses

yes, and smelly and annoying 
      April 4, 2020 5:52 PM MDT

• And bald.
      April 4, 2020 6:08 PM MDT

If a baby is dumb, it learns from the parents. 
      April 4, 2020 5:56 PM MDT

Not at all  - the other day I asked a baby what Donald Trump's  brain  is made of and it said  -  goo goo. Cheers and happy weekend!
      April 4, 2020 6:01 PM MDT

No,they are just like a book waiting to be written....Blank pages mwhere the lines can be filled in slowly and also where fiction can become reality over time...:)D 
      April 4, 2020 6:35 PM MDT

Very Nice
      April 5, 2020 6:56 PM MDT

I thought so two.....:)D 
      April 5, 2020 9:39 PM MDT

• Shet, I wouldn't think.  All the little mouths have to do is scream and they get fed, burped, changed, and put down for a nap.  They're the world's best trainers. 
      April 4, 2020 7:05 PM MDT

Depends on your definition.

If "dumb" means without a voice or unable to communicate, then no; every normal, healthy baby has a range of different noises that can express needs and emotions, as well as gestures and facial expressions.

If "dumb" means unable to learn; then no; babies learn faster than all other humans. The rate is exponential in the first year of life.

If "dumb" means unable to solve complex problems, then yes, all babies are born dumb; it takes at least until 12 years old for the average brain to be sufficiently developed to start learning complex reasoning skills.
    (Although age is no guarantee; having the right circumstances and teachers is also necessary.)

This post was edited by inky at April 5, 2020 8:15 PM MDT
      April 4, 2020 8:56 PM MDT

Not all the babies are dumb,
    Some babies may help their own parents, I probably read a page in a book about it someplace.
      May 3, 2020 7:33 AM MDT

Not when they complain.

By the way, it is inappropriate to use the word "dumb" as a comment on intelligence.
    The word is associated with those who have been deaf from birth and who, as a consequence, have difficulties in learning to speak - It is now considered disrespectful to deaf people to use the word in that way, since as far as deaf people are concerned the word has no relevance to their intelligence.
      August 5, 2021 4:23 PM MDT