Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Is there a branch of science that draws your interest more than others?

Is there a branch of science that draws your interest more than others?

What about it draws you? 

Posted - April 7, 2020

Responses

Earth Science. It's hard to explain my fascination and urge to learn more. Maybe it started when I saw a beautiful formation like the Grand Canyon and I wanted to know how it got there. 
      April 7, 2020 5:04 PM MDT

Geology. Great one. 
      April 7, 2020 5:28 PM MDT

Kinetics

Synergistic permutations and and extrapolated hyperbolics

Different
    This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 7, 2020 10:32 PM MDT
      April 7, 2020 6:04 PM MDT

Yea, I can google too. 
      April 7, 2020 6:48 PM MDT

Wrong!! I didn't google Don!!!!!!! GD.. I just got off the phone with a genius again and my head was reeling with words. I didn't google it Don man GD!!! This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 16, 2020 3:44 PM MDT
      April 8, 2020 12:30 AM MDT

So what draws you to kinetics, other than some important sounding jargon? This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 16, 2020 3:44 PM MDT
      April 8, 2020 10:30 AM MDT

I want to thank you you Don because you inspired enough anger to make me win the hardest chess game I've ever played with a checkmate! Thank you thank you thank you! This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at April 8, 2020 11:06 AM MDT
      April 8, 2020 12:31 AM MDT

My pleasure
      April 8, 2020 5:25 PM MDT

I used to sit around all day and try to figure ways to reduce drag, friction, and any other way to increase the performance of a 1973 Yamaha MX360 racing motorcycle. In one summer, I went from an also ran to bumping wheels with America's top points novice class flat tracker. 
      April 7, 2020 7:26 PM MDT

Indeed. Fits under the umbrella of multidisciplinary studies called Performance Science.
    Makes you a performance engineer. 

April 7, 2020 7:41 PM MDT

That's swell, but I only have a diploma from Yamaha Motors for mechanical training. Do you think that would impress MIT?
      April 8, 2020 1:55 PM MDT

I don’t think motorcycle tech is within their scope of instruction, BH. Like discussing forestry in an AA meeting. 
      April 8, 2020 2:01 PM MDT

Geography, I can’t exactly put it into words what fascinates me about it, but I find it a interesting as all get out. 

How about you?
    ~
      April 7, 2020 10:32 PM MDT

I enjoy all of the natural sciences. Geology and astronomy were certainly early sources of interest, I also took a liking to paleontology.

As an engineer, the scientific method itself has been of great use to me. 

April 8, 2020 12:26 PM MDT

Any thoughts on how several pieces of extinct 'horn' coral ended up in my midwest garden? 
      April 8, 2020 1:58 PM MDT

The middle of the North American continent was once beneath a shallow sea. 
      April 8, 2020 2:05 PM MDT

Probably biology because it has such a profound effect on how things work here on the land.
    And it acts like a manual for helping keep my own body healthy.
    The anatomy and physiology of plants affects orchards, veggies, weeds and native forest regeneration.
    The types of grasses affect the health of the horses.
    All the plants affect the wildlife.
    Insects play a vital role in the lives of the plants, and affect the health of us all.

Having been a breeder and trainer of horses, I needed to understand how their bodies (and minds) worked for the sake of nutrition, fitness training and numerous other tasks. I sometimes needed to do minor bits of surgery if a vet was not available. And I've done my fair share of vet nursing. At one point, I did a week-end prac in equine anatomy run by Dr Deb Bennett. We did a complete anatomical autopsy on a horse that had been euthanised due to founder. Emotionally, it was hardest seeing the freshly dead body; terribly sad to see such a beautiful animal had to die due to the ignorance of his owner. Once the skin was off, it was more like dealing with meat, much easier to do the work.

Geography and meteorology and climate have been important as well. The plants and animals can't be what they are without the influence of these.

As time went by, I found everything so interrelated.
    Plants and animals depend not just on the simple mechanics of their bodies, but on biochemistry.
    Biochemistry is dependent on chemistry, and chemistry on physics.

I guess with me, it starts at the practical level of wanting to understand and work well with the natural world around me, but then in goes beyond that and becomes a fascination in its own right.

That said, I'm an ignoramus. Nothing worse than someone who knows a little. I have no expertise in maths which severely limits what I can understand.
    I'm more a consumer - I love the documentaries, articles in Scientific American, and whatever I can find online when I have a question. My go to sites for answers are the universities. They all have their course material online now, and one can access small bits of it for free. Being at SCU at the moment, I get access into almost all unis. This post was edited by inky at April 16, 2020 3:43 PM MDT
      April 7, 2020 11:32 PM MDT

Geology, but I have a broad appreciation of the natural sciences generally.

Also Engineering - which can be defined as applying scientific laws to practical purposes.
      April 16, 2020 3:38 PM MDT