Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Do you contribute to charities or do charitable work?

Do you contribute to charities or do charitable work?

What causes are important to you? 

Posted - April 7, 2020

Responses

I make a monthly donation to St. Jude's Children's Hospital. Children's cancer is an abomination.
      April 7, 2020 4:59 PM MDT

St Jude’s is among our charities, too. We also give to the Shriners Hospitals, Save the Children and Wounded Warriors. 

You’re right. If there were a benevolent god, neither of these causes would be needed. 

April 7, 2020 5:25 PM MDT

I find it sad when wounded warriors have to have a charity foundation. I thought that's what the VA was for.
      April 7, 2020 7:56 PM MDT

The VA isn’t what it should be. 
      April 7, 2020 8:05 PM MDT

Indeed.
      April 7, 2020 8:06 PM MDT

That's the same in Australia.
    Had a big brouhaha on the news about it yesterday.
    Looks like there's soon be a royal commission into it - after the lockdown.
      April 7, 2020 11:19 PM MDT

Charity begins at home I was told and I give enough freely there only.....:)D 
      April 7, 2020 5:01 PM MDT

I think you misunderstood the quote. 
      April 7, 2020 7:16 PM MDT

I tend to help anyone when I can.....
    So many charities pay their top executives in England more than one million pounds a year....my sister use to work in payrol for one of the biggest charity in England.....it was Mencap ...
    Charity to me means doing things and giving you time for free, or for very modest costs ,even Charity Workers need to eat,pay their bills and travel...
      April 8, 2020 3:20 PM MDT

Sounds like charity to me too
      April 8, 2020 3:28 PM MDT

:) 
      April 8, 2020 3:33 PM MDT

If it's any help, the charities regulator publishes the expense ratio, which should show up any with excess admin and managerial costs. 
      April 8, 2020 3:36 PM MDT

Charities have top executives that invest all monies donated to make even more money for the charities...most all charities are huge businesses....the big charities employ a lot of people....
    In England there are religious groups and one is called the Salvation Army.....they have the most luxurious offices near Liverpool street in East londen in the City.....
    My dads friend plastered their offices.....they had to put a scaffold tower with a lift in it to gain access to the floor through a window....
    Why would any charitable organizations need such free luxury buildings in the most expensive areas of a city...?   
      April 8, 2020 3:59 PM MDT

Yes there are 3 that we give to monthly. 
      April 7, 2020 7:03 PM MDT

I mostly give locally to animal rescues, organizations that support people without homes and folks with mental illness. I volunteer for these causes as well, though not as much as I could. 

One of my favorite Dalai Lama quotes: 

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." 

This post was edited by SavvyAnsley at April 9, 2020 2:18 AM MDT
      April 7, 2020 8:47 PM MDT

I was involved with the Children's Miracle Network and our local hospital for most of my adult life, until I left my home town and state.  I have never reconnected and now live where there is no local Children's Hospital; the closest one is about 50 miles away.    I was active in  The Telephone Pioneers for my whole career and am still a lifetime member but not active.   Charitable mission activities in connection with my Church have always been part of my life as well. I have been asked to become involved in the historical society; I am considering it.   I'm very picky about where I donate as far as charities go.  Many have good intentions but are not efficient and effective.  This website is helpful in finding good places for your charitable dollars to land:  

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.cnadvisories
      April 7, 2020 8:57 PM MDT

Yes, I do contribute regularly to St. Jude's Childrens Hospital, DAV, VFW, Tunnel to Towers, Feed the Children, City Harvest and a couple of others not as regularly.  My employer also matches donations.  
      April 7, 2020 9:57 PM MDT

Yes, I used to make it a point to give 10% of my net income (which wasn't very much by most American's standards) to Christian charities like the Christian Children's Fund and our local Church.  I also give occasionally to various food drives etc. promoted by our grocery store at check out.  But I NEVER tell anyone about my charitable giving because that would be too much like bragging and, I am proud to say, I am a very humble, generous person. Oh and I help my elderly friends by giving them rides to the Dr. etc. Don't tell anyone.
      April 7, 2020 10:11 PM MDT

Your secret is safe
      April 8, 2020 4:58 AM MDT

I don't have enough money to donate, barely enough to make ends meet at home and on the land.

But I tutor a Githabul kid for an hour once a week.

And counsel eight hours a week on the phones at Lifeline; once a month, I do an all nighter.

I do a day's Landcare once a month. That's weed control and the planting of endemic species in public places with a local team. 

Annually, I usually help with various tasks for the local World Environment Day Festival, but this year it's been cancelled due to COVID.

When it comes to election times, I hand out Greens how to vote slips at the hustings, and later help with the scrutineering.

At uni, I help with online structural, copy and proof editing of a literary magazine. This post was edited by inky at April 9, 2020 4:43 PM MDT
      April 7, 2020 11:14 PM MDT

I would say those are noble, charitable works. I for one, salute you.

We all know money isn’t the answer to everything, and writing a check to a charity hardly puts people like me on the front lines. But, IMO, the breadth of humanitarianism needs actors and benefactors, and we can gain some pride in playing a role in the process. I think it an imperative to be of service in some capacity to our fellow man. Clearly, you are. Seems we have a group here that are as well.  

This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 9, 2020 2:20 AM MDT
      April 8, 2020 5:10 AM MDT

Thank you. :)
      April 9, 2020 2:22 AM MDT

It's a bit of a shambles at the moment, what with charities not able to run their usual annual fundraisers. I'm waiting for the dust to settle on this virus business.

Foodbanks have also been disrupted with their usual supplies not always available in the shops and many of their volunteers unable to venture forth. 

April 8, 2020 2:30 AM MDT

Volunteer for Red Cross on Saturday mornings, donate to the Salvos, shop at opportunity shops.
      April 8, 2020 4:18 AM MDT