Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Bernie Sanders dropped out of the race. Too late? Does he matter anymore?

Bernie Sanders dropped out of the race. Too late? Does he matter anymore?

Posted - April 8, 2020

Responses

I understand now.  I would really like to see someone in the 45-60 range.  Being a septuagenarian myself, it's not an ageist thing, but we need someone with vision for the future.  These guys are more experienced in dealing with the way things have been in the past and the election of Trump clearly shows that things in politics will not be the same hereon out.  Honestly, Bernie doesn't have a calming effect on me and after four years of Trump, calm is what this country will need.
      April 8, 2020 10:14 PM MDT

Calm and SANITY.

Intelligence and integrity would be wonderful as well, but maybe too much too ask all at once. 
      April 9, 2020 2:31 PM MDT

Hi SpunkySenior~ :)
    I haven't read this thread all the way down.  I respond as I go along. But you bring a good point to the table.
      Have we ever had a Jewish President?  
    I don't think we have.  Now that I think about it, we are or were pretty much a Christian Country.  Kennedy was Catholic but Christianity stems from Catholicism. 
    Maybe it is about time we spread our wings and realize, religion is important but isn't as revelant as being able to problem solve the immediate problems and future problems.
    What are the 3 things you never bring up at cocktail parties?
    Sex, Religion and Politics?
    One of the many reasons I LOVE answerMug. 
    We cover all three, in depth!
    :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at April 9, 2020 12:18 PM MDT
      April 9, 2020 10:19 AM MDT

No, we've never had a Jewish president and I don't see one on the horizon, especially with the anti-Semitism raising its ugly head lately.  Kennedy was the first and only Catholic president and I would't be surprised if Obama is the first and only African-American for the foreseeable future.  In all honestly, I don't really care what religion is practiced.  I want someone with common sense, an understanding of the Constitution, integrity, honesty and the ability to bring this country together.  
      April 9, 2020 10:42 AM MDT

I totally agree.
    :) :)!!

April 9, 2020 12:15 PM MDT

They've backed the wrong horse, in my opinion. Biden's mental acuity appears to be right on par with Trump's. His racism is showing here as well: 

April 8, 2020 4:45 PM MDT

Point well taken. Neither of the two are particularly impressive specimens in my opinion. 

But by the nature of today’s political campaigns, we the voters are always left to pick from the lesser of 2 evils. If the Dem party apparatchiks can craft the sea of self-damning material Trump himself has provided into an effective message, Biden’s obvious failings may (would) pale by comparison. 

April 8, 2020 5:21 PM MDT

True enough. I listened to Bernie last time around when he said "now is not the time for a protest vote", and voted for the lesser evil, despite my dislike of HRC. I'm not sure that I can do it it again, especially since I'm living blue in a red state. 
      April 8, 2020 8:38 PM MDT

I’d say vote your conscience, regardless. If ”your guys“ lose, at least you aren’t complicit in the follies of the victors you didn’t really believe in. If they win, all the better.
    Blind partisan loyalty is largely why we have the political problems we do. I don’t know the candidates where you are, but I await any compelling argument to re-elect Agent Orange. 
      April 8, 2020 8:53 PM MDT

:) :) :) :)!!!

April 9, 2020 10:28 AM MDT

I’ve been saying for years that the 2016 US presidential election offered voters exactly that: a choice between the lesser of two evils. Had Hillary Clinton prevailed, I doubt that any near-Utopia would have existed. While Donald Trump has been lousy at the job, I think H. Clinton would have been just as bad at it, but in vastly different ways. Now that Joseph Biden is the heir apparent to ascend to the Democrats’ nomination throne, I doubt a Trump/Biden choice is any better than the last race’s horses. 

:[ 

April 8, 2020 9:00 PM MDT

An unfortunate fact of our democratic process that candidates have less interest in extolling their own virtues than demonizing the opponent. So the negatives get the spotlight.

We are left to ask ourselves if we want another term like the last term, or four years of something else. Good luck divining what.
    Out of 330 million Americans we have the pick of 2 dementia patients to take the big chair. 
      April 8, 2020 9:37 PM MDT

Interesting coincidence that Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Trump are all baby boomers and born in the same year, 1946.
      April 8, 2020 11:10 PM MDT

Interesting”?  What’s the relevance?  It may be a fact, but I don’t see how it’s an interesting one. 

April 8, 2020 11:35 PM MDT

Perhaps not to you, but it's a matter of opinion.
      April 8, 2020 11:42 PM MDT

Perhaps to you, but it’s a matter of opinion. 

~
      April 8, 2020 11:45 PM MDT

Which is exactly what I said.
      April 8, 2020 11:49 PM MDT

How do you see it being relevant?
    ~
      April 8, 2020 11:50 PM MDT

Relevant to what? I find it of human interest.
      April 9, 2020 12:08 AM MDT

How does the fact that their year of birth is the same correlate to modern-day politics? It shows that they are all of legal age to be eligible for the US presidency. What else?  A numerologist, astrologist, or conspiracy theorist might salivate over it, but other than that . . .

~
      April 9, 2020 12:21 AM MDT

I haven't specifically researched this, but I am fairly certain that this is the only time we have had two consecutive and three in a span of four presidents born in the same year. I happen to find that fascinating, and I don't need to justify my interest to anybody. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at April 9, 2020 11:04 AM MDT
      April 9, 2020 8:09 AM MDT

April 9, 2020 7:55 PM MDT

Grrr. LOL.
      April 9, 2020 8:16 PM MDT

:) :)!
      April 9, 2020 10:31 AM MDT

Randy~ Yes.  It does have relevance because Stu found it to be; therefore, it is important and does have relevance.  It is an astute observation and one that is worthy of importance and relevancy.
    Everyone, has an observation that means something to them. Wearing buttons or snaps on their shirts make an important statement.
    Others may feel there is a higher dynamic on who is moving the chess peices on the political board.  To me, that brings up an issue similiar to Stus.
    Randy, to you, it might be what their body type is that represents our entire country. As trivial as that may seem, it IS important to me. 
    What is important and relevant to one might not be to the other. 
    :):)
    No harm.  No foul.  It's cool to read and find out who? and why? 
    It is ALL important and relevant.
    If it didn't vary, we would be robots.  I fear the day and I think that is relevant and important.
    :):) This post was edited by Merlin at April 9, 2020 11:05 AM MDT
      April 9, 2020 10:37 AM MDT