Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » T'is a puzzlement. It seems to me that if thee a genius be it's EASIER to navigate your way through life than for us average folks. And yet?

T'is a puzzlement. It seems to me that if thee a genius be it's EASIER to navigate your way through life than for us average folks. And yet?

I have read that genius can be a burden and that those afflicted with genius may suffer from depression and/or commit suicide.

A genius brother (whom I never met) of my long ago best friend took his own life.

My friend told me it was because he had a very hard time living a life.

How is that possible? They are SMARTER than we are so shouldn't they be the ones out there holding out ther hands to us to help through life? What's going on here? That means the GENIUS is entirely wasted. Which brings up a another question which I shall ask.

Posted - April 9, 2020

Responses

I don't know! You do ask some thought-provoking questions though. 

I had heard that greater intelligence is associated with depression. My guess would be that this is because when one is highly intelligent one is more able to look around and see suffering, pointlessness, hopelessness, futility etc. To see perhaps that however much of a contribution we make, it's all a drop in the ocean. 

Say you invent something fantastic.. but no one wants to know.. or someone takes it and misuses it.. that would be depressing. 

I think it's just that really intelligent people think more.. 
      April 9, 2020 8:13 AM MDT

Depression can be a side effect of greater intelligence because you know you know you just solved a problem, but even after you explain it, nobody understands the solution---and that leads to frustration, which in turn can lead to depression.

And do we think more?---probably---but in the sense that we tend to see see more things that need to be addressed than the average person sees.

And the more formal education we have, the more things we see that we know need to be addressed.

But once you incorporate all that into how you function, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

April 9, 2020 4:15 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Addb and Happy Friday to thee! :)
      April 10, 2020 3:52 AM MDT

I believe I know the answer to this, but I’m having a very hard time expressing it.  It took several hours just to narrow it down to the following (hopefully semi-coherent) response...

One would think that being a genius would be a blessing.  Unfortunately, that’s not usually the case.  Many times genius is a burden. 

Geniuses tend to think more vibrantly than “normal folks” do.  Their minds are always taking them on journeys that “normal folks” can’t comprehend.   Many tend to live in a world all their own; a world without boundaries, where thoughts and ideas can germinate and flourish freely, unhindered by the limits of reality.   This can make them more disconnected with “normal folks”.  Geniuses don’t exactly fit in with “normal” society.  They’re different.  They’re hard for “normal folks” to understand. 

Many geniuses tend to be poor at social interaction.  For some it might not register as being logical, others might not be able to comprehend it.  This can cause then to feel shunned, lonely.  Some geniuses are good at interacting socially, but their way of thinking makes them oddballs.  Others might find them “out of their league” (they can’t understand them).  

Some geniuses can handle this “talent” life thrust up on them, some can’t.   

April 9, 2020 3:25 PM MDT

Well expressed, Shuhak.

When I retired 5 years ago, I would frequently take a break from working in my office and come down and sit in my recliner.

My wife would occasionally walk by and conversationally ask, "Whatcha doing?"  My answer was, "Thinking"  (and I did usually add what I was thinking about).

After about 2 months, if she walked by, she would simply say "Hi" because she knew what I was doing---I was indeed, "thinking."

Fortunately, my wife (and my children and grandchildren) are all also "smart," so the people I interact with most often understand each other quite well.
      April 9, 2020 4:07 PM MDT

I wonder if the problem is that they look inward and not outward? That they focus on themselves rather than others? It seems to me if genius focus on problem-solving it would give them something positive to do. I think being self-indulgent may also be part of it. Of course I am not a genius so I cannot know what the inner workings of the mind of one is like. A waste of potential is not something that resonates with me. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shuhak! :)
      April 10, 2020 3:56 AM MDT

"The greater our "fellow feelings" (our desire to help others) and the greater our intelligence, those so gifted are more likely to see more situations worthy of our active concern and therefore we are more likely to take on more responsibilities than we should (can handle)." 

That comes from a book that all freshmen were required to read before the first convocation at the start of our college career---The Intellectual Life.

And failing to heed that warning can cause a genius a lot of problems.

Thirty or so years later, I went to the Johnson O'Connor Testing Foundation to have my "natural" aptitudes tested. (Much more information at their website: https://www.jocrf.org/testing.)

It was very interesting  (I have previously shared at least one on here---the natural ability to think abstractly vs concretely, one of which is usually the dominant ability in any given individual.)  

I showed the results to a psychologist friend of mine---his comment was that the challenge for us mental 18 wheedlers was that we needed to make sure all our wheels were going in the same direction.

April 9, 2020 3:54 PM MDT

Here's what I wonder. If genius looked outward and focused on problem-solving rather than inward might that not be helpful to the genius him/herself and mankind? Wasted potential is never a good thing. A genius mind is something about which I know nothing. I do have common sense though and I use it all the time to ask questions. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Friday! :)
      April 10, 2020 3:58 AM MDT

No, that's unlikely.

When mice are presented with an unsolvable maze, they tend to lie on their backs and nibble their fore paws. 

When a human is faced with an unsolvable personal problem, he is unlikely to be interested in addressing the world's problems---no matter how important they are from an objective perspective.
      April 10, 2020 11:36 AM MDT

No exceptions? Thank you for your reply tom! :)
      April 11, 2020 4:35 AM MDT

Possible, but not even a particularly healthy sublimation---that is why I said "unlikely."
      April 12, 2020 2:18 PM MDT

I only speak for me. Sometimes when I'm faced with a quandry I find the best thing to do is walk away from it temporarily and focus on something else entirely. Case in point. Tackle a world problem. Take it macro and leave the micro alone. Refocus refresh realign. Not always but sometimes that was all it took to figure out MY problem. Thank you for your reply tom.
      April 13, 2020 1:28 AM MDT

Didn't know that was what you were talking about---I do that all the time and let my subconscious do some processing.

Sometimes I just ask God to get inside my mind while I'm asleep that night and rearrange my thoughts if appropriate.
      April 13, 2020 3:28 PM MDT

I cannot remember a day in my life when I didn't talk to God about something so I can relate. Thank you for your reply tom and Happy Tuesday. I'm going to ask a question about a plot line which may/may not interest you. Anything to divert. :)
      April 14, 2020 1:29 AM MDT