Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Do you think getting a pizza to go is safe?

Do you think getting a pizza to go is safe?

It was in the oven and is hot.  The box might be a problem though.  Should I chance it?

Posted - April 9, 2020

Responses

I would. And I have.

When I got home from getting the pizza, I put the pizza box on the stovetop and opened the box using a paper towel. Then I washed my hands.
    The pizza itself, inside the box, was on top of wax-like paper; the pizza was not in contact with the box. I carefully took the pieces out without touching the box. 

Then I ate what I wanted.

Without touching the box, I carefully put the remainder pizza slices in some plastic, "zip-loc"-like bags.

I took the box to the garage. 
    And I washed my hands again.

And I've done something like this more than once. And I'll do it again, most likely.
    :)

The pizza from this place is SO good!
    :)
      April 9, 2020 7:30 PM MDT

Go for it.  You only live once.
      April 9, 2020 7:40 PM MDT

Depends if you fit into a high-risk group or not. The stores were empty and I couldn't get groceries for a while, so the kids and I lived off delivery for about two weeks. I wasn't really worried about it, though I did have an awkward moment where I unintentionally opened the door while my "no contact" delivery driver was there and we both fumbled around for a moment trying to figure out whether I should just take the food directly from him or have him leave it where he stood. We did a hand-off, but I still felt compelled to explain to him that I was safe and hadn't had contact with an external human for two weeks. 

At the same time, we know that COVID-19 can live on surfaces, including cardboard and plastic, for some time. Whether it's enough to actually get someone sick remains to be seen. You touched doors and were by people on top of it. 

That in mind, it's a personal call... I mean that sincerely. If anyone in my house was in a high-risk group and they might not survive COVID-19, I might forgo it. Arizona isn't taxed yet in terms of medical supplies... that would weigh into my decision as well. i.e. If I have a loved one at home who's high-risk for complications and the hospitals were full and low on supplies, I'd stay home. In my current situation, I'd probably just order the pizza. 
      April 10, 2020 10:59 AM MDT

Local TV commercials tout one of the major pizza chains bloviating about the 400-degree temperature of their ovens and how human hands never touch the pizza after it’s been cooked, and finally, their offer of touch-free delivery. I’m sure that most of its competitors are doing the exact same thing. 
    ~
      April 13, 2020 6:33 AM MDT