Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What is your definition of wisdom?

What is your definition of wisdom?

Posted - April 9, 2020

Responses

Wisdom is accumulated fruit of a life well-lived, of times well-remembered and lessons well-learned. 
      April 9, 2020 6:47 PM MDT

I like it. :)
    How would you define "a life well lived"?
      April 9, 2020 6:51 PM MDT

One you can look back on with pride and tell others about with honesty. 
      April 9, 2020 6:58 PM MDT

Yes, I think that would work. :)

Hmm, but let me think about how it might apply in practice.

It would vary a great deal according to a person's values.

A master violinist could look back and say he gave great pleasure to hundreds of thousands through his music. In the process he helped people use their leisure in harmless ways. Perhaps that he invented a new technique or two which had an influence on composers. Very likely he was also a great teacher by teaching his skills to students.

But a master assassin might be proud of who he killed and how difficult it was to achieve. One might argue that assassinations commissioned by the state are murders that result in more good than harm, and that if the ethics are utilitarian, then the assassinations were wise.
    But if the assassin worked for the highest bidder he could easily have been working for organised crime, or even greddy and dissatisfied spouses.
    How then do we determine if his pride (in the life he regards as well lived) could be defined as wise? This post was edited by inky at May 16, 2020 11:26 PM MDT
      April 9, 2020 7:02 PM MDT

I think pride is relative to the effort involved. Moral values are subjective. 

To take this point further:
    As an Atheist, I find it disturbing to see clergy expounding superstitious nonsense to children, while they take pride in imprinting their narrative on young minds.

Who stands as more wise? Or more just? Is there a spectrum of either?  This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 16, 2020 11:26 PM MDT
      April 9, 2020 7:24 PM MDT

On that I agree.
    Although many of the faithful would disagree, I think it is a form of intellectual and spiritual child abuse to teach religious faith to children under the age of 16.
    I think children should be taught how to compare, contrast, evaluate and reason, then be taught the beliefs of all the world's religions and philosophies, and then be allowed to decide for themselves.

I'm inclined to think that wisdom resides in getting through life causing no harm or suffering to other life, or as nearly so as is possible. I believe it necessarily includes honesty, responsibility, integrity, and understanding of self and others.
    And like you, I believe it is something usually acquired slowly over a long lifetime if one has the enthusiasm to learn. Alas, for numerous reasons, I think some people don't learn.
      April 9, 2020 7:46 PM MDT

Yes. I think those qualities both exemplify wisdom and cultivate wisdom. 
      April 9, 2020 8:08 PM MDT

So I wonder, if enough people discussed the definition of wisdom,
    would a universal consensus arise?

And if this discussion was public, might it be useful to young people 
    or people struggling to find a better way? This post was edited by inky at May 16, 2020 11:27 PM MDT
      April 9, 2020 11:05 PM MDT

It would be worth the effort of discussion to explore those ideas. 
      April 11, 2020 7:33 AM MDT

Knowing when to keep your eyes and ears open and more importantly,your mouth shut and your foot wedged under something heavy..  :) 
      April 9, 2020 8:12 PM MDT

Aah, yes. :) I love it! :)

In Buddhism that constitutes the definition of Right Speech, and the principle of Ahimsa, harmlessness.

How much much easier many of our lives might be if we could be more mindful in practicing these! :)

This post was edited by inky at May 24, 2020 10:31 AM MDT
      April 9, 2020 11:09 PM MDT

I'm not quite sure of the phrase......,but, things spoken in haste are repented at leisure....same thing about things said in anger...
    Mind you ,if your quick with you wit and factual in your speech 'it can be quite effective tool if used to put  a jobs worth down....
      April 10, 2020 3:34 AM MDT

Accumulating and applying lessons learned from others and one's own experiences. 
      April 9, 2020 8:26 PM MDT

being able to see the truth beyond the illusion
      April 11, 2020 7:19 AM MDT