Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The UPSIDE of our current lives? We are saving a lot of money. No more weekly grocery store shopping. Using what we have. What about YOU?

The UPSIDE of our current lives? We are saving a lot of money. No more weekly grocery store shopping. Using what we have. What about YOU?

Posted - April 10, 2020

Responses

My inventory is increasing.
      April 10, 2020 9:03 AM MDT

You have fewer sales? Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Saturday to thee.
      April 11, 2020 2:27 AM MDT

No sales. I am not allowed to be open. 
      April 11, 2020 6:04 AM MDT

I'm actually spending more since I'm shopping at a small local supermarket and their prices are higher than either Target or Walmart.  However, I would have to drive to both of those places, so I guess I'm saving money on gas,but considering how cheap it is these days, I'm not sure the trade-off is worth it. :)
      April 10, 2020 10:37 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply L and Happy Saturday. Of course you still work so you're losing money I presume. We're retired and as far as I know we will still be receiving our social security. So the same money but nowhere to spend it. :)
      April 11, 2020 2:29 AM MDT

I'm actually working remotely from home and my firm is paying us our regular salaries, so I'm no worse off.  Happy Saturday. :)
      April 11, 2020 6:03 AM MDT

That is a very good thing L. I"m happy for you. What is devastating is Hart Island and the Potter's Field forming there. Where the unclaimed dead are taken for burial. I expect those that woulld have claimed them are dead. A sorry end a sad end and unbelievable thing to comprehend. We die in isolation and never will say our last goodbyes. Thank you for your reply.
      April 11, 2020 6:18 AM MDT

It is sad that there's no one left to mourn these people.  Truth be told, not everyone expires while their loved ones surround them.  Both my parents passed away in the middle of the night in a nursing home.  Each was 93 when it happened and deep into dementia, so they probably had no idea.  
      April 11, 2020 7:58 AM MDT

I am so sorry to hear that L. We are sailing on extraodinary seas and have no idea what the destination will be, when we will reach it and how. Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 11, 2020 8:38 AM MDT

I've always said that I'm not afraid of death itself - just the run-up to it.
      April 11, 2020 4:24 PM MDT

More money you will get a bonus soon. 
      April 11, 2020 6:06 AM MDT

More money with no place to spend it. Did you hear about the Potter's Field being set up on Hart Island in New York m2c? This is where they are taking unclaimed bodies for burial. I'm thinking those who would have claimed them may have already died. I am beyond tears about that. How sad at the end of those lives there were no final goodbyes. More to come I fear. Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at April 11, 2020 6:12 AM MDT
      April 11, 2020 6:11 AM MDT

Perhaps family also sick in quarentine.   Sad either way. 
      April 11, 2020 6:52 AM MDT

I hadn't thought of that. If they don't make it who will there be to claim THEM? :( This post was edited by RosieG at April 11, 2020 8:13 AM MDT
      April 11, 2020 7:03 AM MDT

No grocery shopping? I recently ordered $150 worth of food from ShopRite and Wegman's on Instacart for delivery. The main difference is that they no longer deliver the next day - one needs to order 4-5 days in advance.
      April 10, 2020 10:41 AM MDT

Our routine WAS Tuesdays shopping at Walmart and Thursdays shopping at Winco SSB. By now I think you know I LOVE TO COOK. Grocery shopping was always my favorite outing. I know. Weird. Now? I don't like it at all. It is very unpleasant...an ordeal/chore so I am finding ways to do without and use what we have in the cupboards and freezer and repurpose things. Anything to keep from having to go grocery shopping. I have a list of things building. We have one egg left so eggs is on the list.We have milk. We're out of fresh fruit and veggies except for oranges and lemons. Our neighbor has an orange tree part of which grows on our side and every year it's loaded with oranges and he tells they are ours. So I'm adapting adjusting. SIGH. We have the same amount of money coming in as far as I know but no where to spend it except on normal bills. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday.
      April 11, 2020 2:34 AM MDT

• I'm not really saving money because I've been ordering so much food delivery from DoorDash. 
      April 10, 2020 10:49 AM MDT

I've always loved to cook NB. Grocery shopping has always been my favorite shopping. Now I will do anything to avoid having to do it. Sigh. I'm using what we have in cupboards and freezers. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to you! :)
      April 11, 2020 2:36 AM MDT

The neighbour's family do my weekly (food) shop. I am saving through not wining and dining out, paying for any tickets to events or transport, nor being tempted to buy anything in any shop windows. 
      April 10, 2020 11:52 AM MDT

Exactly Malizz! We're retired and as far as I know we will still be receiving our social security. So our income is the same but we have no place to spend it except for the usual bills. Grocery shopping used to be the highpoint of my errands. Now I will do what I have to do to avoid it. I suppose now is the time to find out what we're made of. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      April 11, 2020 2:38 AM MDT

We are spending about the same, but we buy in quantity so we don't have to go very often. We are saving at lot on gasoline.
      April 10, 2020 4:38 PM MDT

I used to LOVE grocery shopping E. Going to the market was always the high point of my week. I ADORED it. Now I will do anything I can to avoid it. It is a chore..an ordeal. I haven't been out of the house since a week ago Tuesday. Well I was very sick for five days but still I'm using what we have and we have a lot in cupboards and freezers. I have three refrigerators so we will not starve. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday to you and the family! :)
      April 11, 2020 2:46 AM MDT

• We've had to transition from a lifestyle centered on comfort, complacency and instant gratification, to one of improvisation out of necessity. No, there are no weekly trips to the grocery stores because there's nothing on the shelves to buy. Yes, one tank of gas does in fact last nearly a month. Are we finding out what we're made of? You betcha. Will we make it through? Of course. The main thing that I see as a benefit is the elimination of distractions that really weren't deserving of our attention anyhow. We've discovered an obsolete form of communication here. I think that it's called conversation. We look at this as a time of coming up for air after being submersed in the truly unimportant for years. 
      April 11, 2020 9:57 AM MDT

yes... but....

Making do with what you have. You still had to buy it! I wonder if this thread has shown many people shop as much from habit as necessity.

I tend normally to shop little and often with the occasional trip for a trolley-load from Aldis or Lidls, but have had to modify that a bit in the present situation. I did not go mad so have a modest but reasonable stock of food, though still need visit my local Co-op, only a few minutes' walk from home, every few days for fresh foods like milk, bread, and salad veg.

My local, independent bakery has closed for the duration; as have the local café and pub, two Chinese take-aways, and fish-&-chip shop. The pizza chain shop has moved to telephone-and-deliver trade, but when I want a pizza I buy the Co-op ones for heating at home anyway. One of those plus salad is two meals for me.   

I've found I am beginning to eat a bit less - not enough exercise perhaps, especially with the weekend caving-trips that had been a regular part of life now suspended indefinitely.

With other things off too, I probably am saving at least some money overall - just as well because once things are back to normal (ish) I need estimates for important house repairs I can't carry out myself and won't be cheap!

That café by the way, is run as a charity mutual-support group by and for ex-Services personnel, but open to the civilian public as well. When it is open and not closed by a pandemic lock-down. I soon spotted the irony that the clients of an ex-Services café for people who have been through Hell and high water in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc., are now kept in their own bunkers by one of the tiniest and simplest but nastiest scraps of life.   

April 11, 2020 6:11 PM MDT