Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Did you know that the reason liquor stores are considered essential businesses is that the government needs the taxes they generate?

Did you know that the reason liquor stores are considered essential businesses is that the government needs the taxes they generate?

Do you find it bothersome that our government relies on revenue from something that harms so many? 

Posted - April 10, 2020

Responses

Not at all. The opposite approach was tried with Prohibition, and history shows how that worked out. Just as with legalization of marijuana for recreational use, the government may as well derive some profit from vice rather than leaving it all to black market players. And if people want the stimulus payments and other assistance, that money has to come from somewhere.
      April 10, 2020 8:43 AM MDT

Sure. I'm not suggesting that we make it illegal (again), or not tax it. I do find it a bit disturbing that we're so reliant upon the tax dollars that liquor stores are deemed essential for that reason. 

April 10, 2020 8:54 AM MDT

I don't think that's the only reason. If it were, Massachusetts wouldn't have dictated the closing of recreational marijuana dispensaries with what they and the localities make from those sales. Another important reason is that people don't wish to be without their vices.
      April 10, 2020 9:34 AM MDT

Massachusetts closed dispensaries? Did they close liquor stores as well? 

Plenty of alcohol available in most every grocery and big box store I've ever been in. No reason for liquor stores to be open other than tax revenue. Vices aside, alcoholics do need alcohol to avoid potentially life-threatening withdrawal, unless they have access to medications to prevent that. 

Good luck buying marijuana in grocery stores, though. 
      April 10, 2020 9:43 PM MDT

I was in western Massachusetts in late March. Theory Wellness, a dispensary in Great Barrington, closed for recreational sales due to the coronavirus while I was there. The place often had a long line to get in, so social distancing was problematic. But governments make out like bandits on those sales. You pay close to 20% to cover sales and excise taxes for the town of Great Barrington and the state.
      April 10, 2020 10:08 PM MDT

Apparently the mayor of Denver initially didn't include marijuana and liquor stores in the 'essential' category and changed his mind within 3 hours, when crowds began to swarm the stores and social distancing guidelines were out the window. 

God forbid people loose their booze or weed right now. Not to mention their Xanax and Valium! Living on nothing but coffee, vitamins, fresh air and essential oils isn't easy right now, let me tell ya! 
      April 10, 2020 10:29 PM MDT

I had the same thought Stu did, which is honestly a little scary. lol (Just kidding, Stu!)

But why are you so sure that's the reason? I have a feeling liquor sales are through the roof right now. Everyone is losing their sh*t and numbing it away any way they can. I even placed an online order for a massive booze shipment. Excited, too, because I couldn't previously justify going out of my way to find cake-flavored vodka to make pineapple upsidedown cake drinks... yeah... been wanting one of those for years. But now that I can't get a dang thing in the stores... might as well order myself a treat. To be clear, I'm not drinking all that much really. Think I maybe had a single drink last week. But I could see how people would be drinking a lot more. And, I could also see how taking that away from people would result in an all-out mutiny. 

I personally don't care that it generates a lot of tax dollars. It's a regulated industry. There's infrastructure needed to support it. And, considering my mother was an alcoholic and her alcohol dependence likely caused the stroke that put her in a nursing home for life (on tax dollars), looking at it from your perspective, I actually feel like she paid for her care now. So, that's cool. 
      April 10, 2020 10:37 AM MDT

I googled it, as I couldn't understand why they were considered essential, particularly when liquor is readily available in grocery and other retail stores (even gas stations, where I live). 

I didn't know you could order booze online! Man, I hope I live long enough to see the day when you can order weed online, too! Not that I'd become a complete pot head, but I sure could use a bit of that 'numbing' that you're talking about, and I don't drink (my mom was an alcoholic, too). Of course I wasn't suggesting that alcohol be banned, just didn't understand why, when you can buy liquor from so many other stores, liquor stores would be considered "essential". 

I just think it's funny how the government tries to convince us that they're protecting us from ourselves by making 'street drugs' illegal. I'm sure there's much money to be made by regulating and taxing heroin and meth, too! 
      April 10, 2020 9:56 PM MDT

I take a more relaxed view on it.. lots of people do like to drink, in this stressful time, when people are bored and at home, they might consume more alcohol. If it helps them get through this then I wouldn't judge them.. Alch can relax people..  If misused then yes, of course alcohol is a bad thing.. and it does have that potential.. but I think that for protecting people's mental health I'd allow alcohol. 
      April 10, 2020 11:58 AM MDT

Perhaps alcohol is only sold in liquor stores in other states and countries? 

I wasn't suggesting banning alcohol, just laughing that liquor stores, most of them pretty small, enclosed areas, are allowed to remain open only because of the tax revenue they generate. Especially if what Stu says is true and some states are closing marijuana dispensaries! That's a f-ing outrage. Marijuana is legitimate medication for numerous people. 

I don't think experts would ever recommend the use of alcohol for protecting mental health. Unless they're alcoholics themselves. ;)
      April 10, 2020 10:03 PM MDT

I think, as JA is saying, the govt doesn’t want massive civil unrest when the stressed out populace can’t get their hooch. Unhealthy or no, a fact of society is people have vices, they work hard, they need to let loose. That taxes can be collected from these vices is just as well. But cut off the booze, it goes underground, or people go to other states to get it, and then no taxes are collected. 
      April 10, 2020 12:05 PM MDT

Yeah, I never meant to suggest that alcohol be banned... maybe there are places in the US where liquor stores are the only place you can buy it? I've lived in several states and visited many, and I think I've always seen alcohol at Walmart, Target, and regional grocery stores, as well as pharmacies. 

I know that each state has their own governor, so there are different standards as to what is and isn't essential. I think it's sad that many other small businesses are forced to shut down, while liquor stores are allowed to remain open. In my opinion, it's ridiculous that people who 'let loose' by drinking alcohol are allowed to carry on (even though they could buy it elsewhere), but people who choose to, I don't know.. make pottery, are out of luck. Ridiculous and complete BS, in my opinion. 
      April 10, 2020 10:20 PM MDT

When stressed, some people turn to alcohol (and/or weed to help "numb the pain".  These are very stressing times.  Many of my neighbors are bringing home loads of booze each time they go to the store.  My next door neighbors are out smoking their bong nearly every single day.
      April 10, 2020 12:11 PM MDT

I get it. If weed were legal where I live, I'd happily be snacking on a special brownie right now. :)
      April 10, 2020 10:32 PM MDT