Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Are these the musings of a sane person?

Are these the musings of a sane person?

From Axios this morning:

" 5. Lysol fires back at Trump's medical musings  

Photo: Michael Reynolds/EPA/Bloomberg via Getty Images

President Trump said at yesterday’s briefing: "I'm not a doctor. But I’m like a person that has a good you-know-what."

His medical musings prompted pushback from medical professionals after he offhandedly suggested that ultraviolet light and disinfectant might be used to fight coronavirus:

So, supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it's ultraviolet or just very powerful light — and I think you said that that hasn’t been checked, but you’re going to test it.  ... upposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or in some other way, and I think you said you’re going to test that too.  It sounds interesting. ...
I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that. So, that, you’re going to have to use medical doctors ... But ... it sounds interesting to me. 

Reckitt Benckiser, the maker of Lysol, said in a statement dated today, "Improper use of Disinfectants":

• "nder no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body."

Posted - April 24, 2020

Responses

I agree.  
      April 24, 2020 10:09 AM MDT

If this works, maybe Trump can come up with a cure for cancer too. The sad thing is that there are people who cannot see the flaws in his thinking or the harm in his pondering these ideas in a public forum. 
      April 24, 2020 9:31 AM MDT

You're right.  Pretty scary that there are people who believe his ramblings.  
      April 24, 2020 9:59 AM MDT

Not only believe them, but defend them. 
      April 24, 2020 10:17 PM MDT

Can you imagine what his cure for cancer might be? Maybe he will suggest people wear smoke detectors like necklaces because smoke detectors are radioactive and everybody knows radiation kills cancer. Cheers and happy weekend!
      April 24, 2020 10:04 AM MDT

Mayhaps trump will volunteer as a test patient. He can inject himself with Lysol and lay naked in a tanning bed for 12 hours.
      April 24, 2020 10:31 AM MDT

I volunteer to provide a postage stamp with which he can cover his "junk."
      April 24, 2020 11:07 AM MDT

April 25, 2020 6:45 AM MDT

HaHaHa
    good one
      April 25, 2020 7:28 AM MDT

April 25, 2020 2:43 PM MDT

Lol. Not getting rid of us that easy. 
      April 25, 2020 2:40 PM MDT

No, y'all are doing a fine job of that yourselves.
      April 26, 2020 8:59 AM MDT

I am here to stay. 
      April 26, 2020 9:37 AM MDT

This post was edited by my2cents at April 26, 2020 9:38 AM MDT
      April 25, 2020 6:44 AM MDT

Sane or no, are these the musings of a competent chief executive? I say not even close. In the light of the current crisis, is this the best imitation of leadership we can expect from Trump while people are dying by the thousands every day, from a catastrophe he spent far too
    long stupidly denying and downplaying the potential of? It seems so. 

Surely Trump, if no one else alive, grasps how powerful his pulpit is. For him to be so cavalier, so recklessly inane in his pronouncements from that pulpit demonstrates either his complete indifference to the consequences of his misbegotten claims, or a brand of narcissistic malevolence that is as dangerous and unprecedented as the crisis it is so badly mucking up. 

The ONLY THING, that -To me- stands nearly as bad, is the predictable, fact-averse defenses parroted by the cult of delusional Trump suck-ups and stooges. 

April 24, 2020 2:05 PM MDT

I said to m2c that science rules. I was wrong...stupidity rules.
      April 24, 2020 4:14 PM MDT

Science has rules, stupidity just ”is”. 

I might use the word ‘Infects’ to describe stupidity. 

April 24, 2020 4:22 PM MDT

Good point. We agree to agree.
      April 24, 2020 4:45 PM MDT

Stupidity is  both more dangerous and more easily spread than COVID-19
      April 25, 2020 12:04 PM MDT

It has already infected billions of people. "Hey...let's pop out ten babies that will probably starve death." or "That virus ain't gonna fect me. Let's party. Where's the meth?"

April 26, 2020 9:07 AM MDT

I couldn't have said it better.  To be honest, I'm not sure that he isn't suffering from some mental incapacity like dementia.  Even a narcissist wouldn't say some of the dreck that comes out of his mouth.  There is a definite indication that he is not in control of all of his mental faculties.
      April 25, 2020 6:49 AM MDT

I know there is a cultural taboo about diagnosing illness from afar, absent proper examination (which we both know Trump will never allow, and we can guess why), but just listen to the man speak (if you can tolerate doing so). He is frequently incoherent, misinformed and misrepresents known truths; repeats himself over and over, drifts off-topic, is quick to anger and cannot fathom owning responsibility for his foibles. 
    Then there is that malignant narcissism.

There was troublesome conjecture early on in his tenure, from a number of more credible authorities than you and I about his erratic mental state. It is hard to argue any of that has been dispelled. I think, in fact, a greater case can be made for it as time goes on. But I am no psychiatrist, nor can I conjure support for an obvious lunatic.

This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 25, 2020 10:24 PM MDT
      April 25, 2020 7:07 AM MDT

I agree that we are not professionally qualified to opine on his mental health, but you don't have to be a professional to see that there is definitely something wrong.  When he is speaking off the cuff, he is almost unintelligible and even when he's reading something prepared for him, he falters and speaks as though there is no comprehension in what he's reading.  If I were the sole arbiter of whether or not the 25th Amendment should be invoked, I would say it should.  
      April 25, 2020 7:21 AM MDT

I venture to say yours wouldn’t be a lone voice in the wilderness on that account. 

I dare say the warped intellects who reflexively deny any problem exists here are less concerned with that problem than with forcing their partisan goals. Like religion, politics poisons everything. 

April 25, 2020 7:27 AM MDT

We agree on that, too.  I don't think they give a hoot about Trump at all, only to the extent that it furthers their own agendas.  The Founding Fathers are spinning in their graves.
      April 25, 2020 7:33 AM MDT