Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Should any company that makes or uses any types of plastics be forced to collect and reuse/recyle their own plastics unwanted waste.

Should any company that makes or uses any types of plastics be forced to collect and reuse/recyle their own plastics unwanted waste.

With so many different types of plastics including cling films and wrappings , how is it possible to separate all the different types like bottle tops and what all the differnt type that are made and are only suitable for just specific foods or other chemicals....
Are any of theses single use throw away items ever meant to be recycled..... 
Do you think your government cares that all of these item are not possible to be recycled....and it's all just another ploy to get people to vote for them ? 

Posted - April 25, 2020

Responses

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Not just plastics, I can’t stand it the way litter in general accumulates so much faster in the proximity to fast-food joints, and for quite some time I’ve thought that those businesses should have joint responsibility in cleaning up after their customers. Of course, the person who litters has the primary responsibility there, and since the business rakes in obscene amounts of profits every single day, they should devote more effort at clean-up. 

:(
      April 25, 2020 7:14 AM MDT

Do you have Starbucks and Costa Coffee places in America... They use paper cups in England made from virgin wood pulp....they all have the recyle tag on the side .....It refers only to the paper sieve and not the cup....the cups are lined with a plastic polymer coating and impossible to recycle....all these companies lie consistently...they need to all be banned from trading for lying and spending millions $.€.£ in tying to  work out more ways of deciving the people they sell to and  the dopey people in government that are to thick or more likely getting paid millions to keep their mouths shut...

Yes . Shops that sell crap ,food or what ever ,should be forced to clean away the mess they are creating...
      April 25, 2020 7:36 AM MDT

Starbucks originated in the US, there are now thousands of its outlets nationwide, and thousands more worldwide. I’m not a coffee drinker, nor do I think it makes sense to pay five times the value of something just to pay for the corporate name, so I never patronize their establishments. I’m not familiar with the company called Costa Coffee. 
    ~
      April 25, 2020 7:58 AM MDT

It's rediculous what people are prepared to pay for one small'ish paper cup full of coffee in the city and central London...some are approaching ten pounds almost every....Fools and their money are soon parted in England...
    There is a quite nice clean restaurant about about thirteen miles north of central London....a full English breakfast use to cost 3£ English pounds... One small Cup of coffee with your meal cost another £ 3 more lol
      April 25, 2020 3:19 PM MDT

Costa, despite its cod-Italian name, is a coffee-shop chain that started in London, and was eventually bought by the fellow-British, brewer-turned-pub-owner Whitbreads. I don't know who owns it now - probably some anonymous international cabal of money-traders!

It's like any other supposedly trendy coffee-bar chain though: trading on a superficial air of sophistication and up to price rather than value.
      May 3, 2020 4:01 PM MDT

I agree with your general point but usually, making any manufacturer responsible for collecting the waste packaging or other materials from its own products would be hopelessly impracticable and create far more environmental difficulties than it solves.

Instead, the packaging and where applicable, product, materials should as far as possible be salvageable and be salvaged, but salvaged through separate bulk arrangements sending the waste directly to its own processors, as indeed does happen.

If the manufacturers were made to take back their packaging etc. that would lead to all manner of practical difficulties for the retailers, and all the manufacturers could do is send the collected refuse to the same processors anyway.

Some retailers in certain trades do dispose of the waste for you, but have to pass the resulting costs to the customer.

Is unfair to put all the blame on the manufacturers or retailers for litter and other wilful acts of mis-disposal, though.  That's like blaming car manufacturers for the acts of those who flout driving laws.
      May 3, 2020 4:19 PM MDT