Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is there a singular signature thing that identifies your city? Big Ben in London. The crystal ball on New Year's Eve in Time's Square?

Is there a singular signature thing that identifies your city? Big Ben in London. The crystal ball on New Year's Eve in Time's Square?

The opera house in Australia? Niagara Falls? That massive arch in St. Louis? The Golden Gate Bridge? The restaurant at LAX? The tall spire in Seattle? The Lincoln Monument in D.C.? The GRAND CANYON? Las Vegas? Mt. Rushmore? Pearl Harbor? What item/structure identifies your city most particularly? Ever been there?

Posted - April 26, 2020

Responses

Gassy Jack statue in Vancouver -Gastown area is named after that notorious character. Also our famous steam clock in Gastown. I live very close to Gastown area. This post was edited by Kittigate at April 26, 2020 6:31 AM MDT
      April 26, 2020 6:09 AM MDT

Seriously sweetie? GASSY JACK? Whoa momma gotta look that up. It's way too cool to let slide by. Thank you for your reply Kg and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :) Back from looking up GASSY JACK! He would have been such a nifty person to know personally!  Much color and history in your town. Thank you for sharing it. Oh. Ever ski WHISTLER? My son and his former wife did several decades ago and said it was beyond gorgeously beautiful!:) This post was edited by RosieG at April 26, 2020 6:53 AM MDT
      April 26, 2020 6:32 AM MDT

I don't ski and i've never been to Whistler but I keep thinking some day i'd like to go. I would take the train there 'course. 
      April 26, 2020 12:30 PM MDT

There is so much beauty in your country and in America we love you all very bigly. Sometimes dumbhead politicians get in the way but we always overcome them and ignore them. Thank you for your reply Kg! :)
      April 27, 2020 3:47 AM MDT

Hi Rosie,
    The town I live in (Huddersfield) is not officially a city, but it does have one iconic structure - Victoria Tower on Castle Hill:

(Not my dog, in case you were wondering!).

The tower was built to commemorate 60 years of Queen Victoria's reign; there was a small Medieval castle on the site before but nothing survives of it except the well. Castle Hill has however been the site of a settlement since around 2100 BC. Defences - earthen walls and ditches - were built during the Iron Age.

This is the view from the top of the tower which allows you to see some of the old fortifications:

Although the view from the air is perhaps more impressive:

https://www.castlesfortsbattles.co.uk/yorkshire/assets/castle_hill_almondbury.jpg

April 26, 2020 6:22 AM MDT

Hi there Rev! WOW and whoopee! That is a very cool landmark methinks! 2100 B.C. Oh my goodness and good golly there is nothing nearly that old in my country still standing. We are still too young..wet behind the ears..still in our infancy hoping to reach adolescence one day before we die! The first photo is very dark and honestly I can't see much except of course the tower, sun and maybe a dog's nose? Thank you for dropping by to say hi and share. Glad to know you're OK which I presume you are. Stay safe! Happy Sunday to you and yours Rev! :) Oh I GOOGLED Huddersfield to see its proximity to London...164 miles. Ever visit Harrod's? Heard that is the grandest department store anywhere. Very pricey though I trust! This post was edited by RosieG at April 26, 2020 8:24 AM MDT
      April 26, 2020 6:37 AM MDT

Cellphone cameras aren't always good at coping with contrasting light and dark so sometimes the detail is lost . . . but glad you found it impressive. We're lucky to have so much history on our doorstep. Last time I went to London was several years ago - I didn't go shopping, I visited some of the attractions like the art galleries, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, Greenwich Royal Naval College.  For people who live in Huddersfield and thereabouts, Leeds and Meadowhall are more popular than London as shopping destinations, much easier and cheaper to do as a day trip. Anyway stay safe and keep well!
      April 26, 2020 8:24 AM MDT

Ever visited Oxford or seen the changing of the Guard or visited Parliament Rev? There is so much about your country that is impressive. Oh. Shakespeare. Ever hear of him? Winston Churchill? How about the well-known Brit STIFF UPPER LIP meaning they see what needs to be done and DO IT without complaining about it! A trait I adore because Americans make big deals of tiny itsy bitsy little things as if they are enormous. Sheesh. Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 26, 2020 8:35 AM MDT

Yes. 
      April 26, 2020 6:36 AM MDT

What?
      April 26, 2020 6:38 AM MDT

Sorry. But that would give my exact location and I do not give that out online. I line in a town of roughly 10,000 people. If I gave it out combined with other posts I have made a person coulr easily show up at my home. (I do not think anyone on this site is a crazy but there are crazies out there)
      April 26, 2020 6:45 AM MDT

I forgot m2c. Well Hemet is where we live and if someone wants to find me and visit I have no fear of that. Why you do is up to you I guess. Have you always been afraid of 'the other"? Sad that. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      April 28, 2020 3:14 AM MDT

I have always thought you give out too much information. There are also identity thieves out there as well. If my credit is going to be ruined...I get to do it. LOL
      April 28, 2020 6:09 AM MDT

Big balls.

April 27, 2020 5:16 AM MDT

I LOVE them R! You see your reflection in them. They are silvery and shiny and glorious! Only two or are ther emore scattered about? I see it's a mall with shops on either side. Would love to meander there. Looks very nifty. Thank you for your reply and the graphic! Is it a way to track people too?
      April 28, 2020 3:16 AM MDT

Just sculpture. Rundle Mall in Adelaide. Currently almost entirely shut down due to the virus - kangaroos have been spotted in the CBD, which hasn't happened in decades.
      May 2, 2020 8:33 PM MDT

I'm gonna GOOGLE it R. You Aussies are famous for breathtaking design. Artistic is fine. But sad that no one can enjoy it....for now. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thee and thine! :) I just Googled it R. The photos weren't as clear as I hoped they'd be there are many and I bet being there is inspiring. Hopefully one day soon ti will be available again to visit. This post was edited by RosieG at May 3, 2020 3:33 AM MDT
      May 3, 2020 3:28 AM MDT