Active Now

Danilo_G
Randy D
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "These are the times that try men's souls". Any time more trying than this?

"These are the times that try men's souls". Any time more trying than this?

Posted - April 29, 2020

Responses

I've been hearing such phrases more than I ever have before--"this trying time," "these difficult days," etc.--and it occurs to me that people never seem to speak of "these wholesome weeks," or "marvelous months," or "this easy eon."

Whether it's during an economic crisis, or with the election of a new president, or now with the virus, many people always seem to consider this specific moment to be the most arduous. So it will also be once this pandemic passes, with little regard to the hardships suffered by those who came before us, or indeed by others at this very instance.
      April 29, 2020 2:58 AM MDT

You really think so DG? I'm 82 and in my life there has never been a viper so evil as Pumpkina**! Since January 2017 everything he has done/said was dangerous shifty corrupt criminal self-aggrandizing evil. In my opinion. A depraved degenerate reprobate deadbeat cheapskate who stiffed many people along the way. Now I cannot speak to times before I was born. i can speak to my 82 years and I will tell you that Pumpkina** has been responsible for the deaths of many due to his abject self-aggrandizing obsession, covering his arse and complete indifference to the plight of others. He is a worthless piece of crap and we are suffering because of it. In my opinion. That's all I have. My observations and opinion. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee. I do hope wherever you are you are safe so far and stay that way. Jim and I are in the high-risk group so our perceptions are framed by our experiences! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 29, 2020 11:17 AM MDT
      April 29, 2020 3:07 AM MDT

I do think so, in the sense that the phrase "these are trying times" never truly seems to be out of place. And if it is always, to some extent, passable, then that phrase--in and of itself--can't retain its meaning.

Thank you, Rosie. Life in the Serbian countryside hasn't changed much, but we're taking the necessary precautions. My best to you and Jim, and have a Happy Wednesday!
      April 29, 2020 11:20 AM MDT

Right backatcha sweetie. Isn't it sad though that what is bonding countries together is a pandemic? "We're in this together" has never been truer or more heartbreaking. Of course we've read about prior pandemics but never imagined we'd actually experience one. Here we are! Since Jim and I are retired our lives haven't really changed that much. We're among the lucky ones. Thank you for your thoughtful and kind reply DG and Happy Thursday to thee and thine! :) I think I'm going to ask a question about it. SIGH.
      April 30, 2020 2:58 AM MDT