Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In America is the location of the most famous monuments Washington, D.C.? What location in your country has the most famous monuments?

In America is the location of the most famous monuments Washington, D.C.? What location in your country has the most famous monuments?

Posted - May 3, 2020

Responses

Nelsons Column in Trafalgar Square maybe....can't think of any other over here in England... 
      May 3, 2020 4:05 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply D and Happy Sunday to thee! Howya doin'?
      May 3, 2020 4:22 AM MDT

My whole family are well and doing ok....so far Rosie....hope your keeping out of it to......xx
      May 3, 2020 4:34 AM MDT

Absolutely sweetie. Since Jim and I are in the high-risk group home is safety and life...anywhere else isn't. So far so good. Fingers crossed it stays that way for both of us as well as many others. Time will tell if we are coming out of he** or going more deeply into it. I'm gonna ask!  Thank you for your reply D! :)
      May 3, 2020 4:54 AM MDT

London,  by the city's size and status as capital, and its sheer number of monuments, museums, famous buildings etc.; though Britain generally is very rich in such things.
      May 3, 2020 2:56 PM MDT

Your country is wonderfully old m'dear. More time to create such things and revere them and take care of them. I wonder if those who live in your country take all of that for granted and don't really appreciate it? Maybe that's true of humans in general. They take for granted many things until they're gone. Then it's too late to appreciate. Thank you for your reply Durdle. What is your very favorite spot in your country? Is that question impossible to answer?
      May 4, 2020 5:53 AM MDT

Thank you Rosie!

Yes, it is easy to take for granted the things around you but I think we do generally appreciate what we have. 

I can't really say what is my favourite spot because there are so many, and so very different from each other you can't really compare or contrast them.

The British Isles mainland is only about 600 miles "tall" from the Southern English coast up to the North coast of Scotland,  and about 300 miles at widest East-West (across Wales and England), yet has among the world's most varied landscape for the same area - we don't have the extremes such as very high mountains, plains hundreds of miles wide, and deserts; but many of the lands that do have those seem to change far more gradually with distance.  I have visited Norway several times, and although it certainly is a beautiful country, its basic characteristics don't alter significantly over that 600 miles stretch - even the villages all look much the same!

So... favourites, eh? I live in a town on a stretch of the English Channel coast that has been designated a World Heritage Site for its geology - and from that its scenery - that for a start.

I also love the uplands areas: inland close to home are the rolling Chalk downs, 60 miles North is a another range called the Mendip Hills, 300 miles North are the fine Pennine Hills with magnificent glacial valleys.

One of my favourite roads in England runs N-S runs through the English counties bordering Wales - a region of lovely, fertile, hill and valley  country that (coming South) eventually meets the Bristol Channel (R. Severn estuary) by winding its way down the River Wye gorge.

That's just a few examples of many!    
      May 5, 2020 3:23 PM MDT