Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » History » Do you think The USA would be different today if the confederates had won the civil war?

Do you think The USA would be different today if the confederates had won the civil war?

Posted - May 3, 2020

Responses

Yes. There’s a possibility that there would be two separate countries: the United States of America and the Confederate States of America. 

(There already exist dozens of writings that speculate on that exact premise.)

~
      May 3, 2020 10:12 AM MDT

I must add that there is also the probability that had the Confederacy won the 1861 US Civil War, that another war would have eventually erupted between the USA and the CSA at some point in time. 

~
      May 3, 2020 3:13 PM MDT

Well... that is an ongoing speculation.
    We were industrial.  The confederates were agricultural.
    We needed and still DO need each other.

The important thing we were trying to instill and preserve was the Constitution and the continuity of the United States.

Separating the contiguity of the UNITED states would definitely have made a difference for me and all other U.S. citizens.

I would like to add Don's insight on the question, if that is o.k.
    He claims there would have been no other outcome.  We would not have quit until we won. 

This post was edited by Merlin at May 4, 2020 6:09 AM MDT
      May 3, 2020 11:45 AM MDT

(((((Where is Don’s answer?)))))

May 3, 2020 2:55 PM MDT

I believe it would be very different.  Just look at the disparity wealth, education, health, etc. between the North and the South today.  Merlin is right, though - the North needed the agriculture and the South needed the industrialization.  That is what makes this country strong - we are co-dependent.  I think it is less the people themselves who are so divided than the politicians who work to keep us that way.  In doing so, they maintain their power and authority over us rather than foster the reality that we need each other.  
      May 3, 2020 2:29 PM MDT

Great answer!!
      May 3, 2020 3:10 PM MDT

Thank you. :)
      May 3, 2020 7:29 PM MDT

When comparing present reality and a historical probability such as the South having prevailed in the US Civil War, one extremely important point to consider is that there’s no guarantee that modern-day status quote is what would have resulted from that outcome. We’re talking about 159 years (1861 when the war began to today, 2020) of potentially untold or unimaginable events having taken place during that time span. Those disparities you mentioned may or may not   come to pass. (Mind you, I am NOT saying that what you’ve written above is incorrect!)

~

~
      May 4, 2020 5:01 AM MDT

Thanks for another perspective.  After I posted, I thought about the slavery issue, but couldn't seem to get my thoughts clear enough to set them down.
      May 4, 2020 6:27 AM MDT

Yes...we'd all be living like this:

May 3, 2020 2:44 PM MDT

You can’t see Randy D in the photo because he’s out back killin’ the fatted hen for that evenin’s suppa. (By the way, he knows absolutely nothing about grammar. Grrrrrr.)

~
      May 3, 2020 2:55 PM MDT

Nobody does. Especially Mr. and Mrs. Redneck.
      May 3, 2020 2:56 PM MDT

Uhmmm, no
      May 3, 2020 3:11 PM MDT

So, the auto industry would be centered in Detroit, Georgia.  There would be no McDonalds, but Kentucky Fried Chicken would be the world's top franchise. Since Sherman wouldn't be burning Atlanta, it would be the new 'southern New York City'. 

May 3, 2020 3:11 PM MDT

??
      May 4, 2020 9:48 AM MDT

When Reading B.H. Wilson's comment, were you feeling a bunch of thinking going on and then A Sudden Burst of connection in the middle, followed by a bunch more thinking???
    ;) :)

May 5, 2020 1:10 AM MDT

I must say.  It was worth the wait. 
    :) :)!!
      May 5, 2020 1:14 AM MDT

Yes, probably! I will be interested to read other people's responses on this however. 
      May 4, 2020 2:14 AM MDT

• Confederate monuments would have been able to be looked upon as more than participation trophies. 
      May 4, 2020 6:09 AM MDT