Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If God is a trinity, shouldn't it be mentioned in the Bible?

If God is a trinity, shouldn't it be mentioned in the Bible?

Shouldn't statements that flat out say that the Father is the only true God be considered spurious and not in every manuscript and translation?
Saying our everlasting life has something to do with coming to know the Father, who is the only true God seems a bit confusing if the only true God is Father, Son and a Holy Ghost.

(John 17:3) This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
(1 Corinthians 8:5, 6) For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him.
(1 Corinthians 11:3) But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God.
(John 3:16) “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.

When the nation of Israel received the Law covenant, which forms part of the Bible, they were commanded: “You must never have any other gods against my face.” (Deuteronomy 5:7) How many persons were speaking here? Without any confusion, Deuteronomy 6:4 reads: “Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah”​—not three in one. Israel had just been liberated from Egypt, where Osiris, Isis, and Horus —one of a number of triads of gods—​were worshipped. Therefore, Israel was commanded to worship just one God. How important was it for people to understand this command? According to Dr. J. H. Hertz, a rabbi: “This sublime pronouncement of absolute monotheism was a declaration of war against all polytheism . . . The Shema excludes the trinity of the Christian creed as a violation of the Unity of God.”

This is not in the Bible:
2 Nephi 31:21
21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.

Posted - May 4, 2020

Responses

There's nothing you have said that I disagree with Stu, but all I said is that there were Jewish believers in Christ and still are.

May 10, 2020 11:57 AM MDT

Trinity or not, one or not, cow or not, golden calf or not, God is the ultimate self-fulfilling prophecy, existing for those who choose to believe in whatever form they choose and not existing for those who choose not to, such as atheists. No objective, incontrovertible reality to any of it.
      May 5, 2020 8:32 PM MDT

There are many man made beliefs created, which are not in the Bible, like God residing at the center of the universe on the star Alcyone in the cluster known as Pleiades, as Jehovah's Witnesses studied. 
      May 15, 2020 4:32 PM MDT

I know you mean that as some sort of jab as I have seen you post that before but can you post a link to the article you are talking about? I know that JW's USED to believe some things that I don't which is to be expected after well over 1,000 years of apostasy when anyone that didn't accept Church doctrine risked being burned at the stake at the order of various bishops and popes.

EDIT: Is this what you are referring to?
    https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1953850 This post was edited by texasescimo at May 15, 2020 6:29 PM MDT
      May 15, 2020 5:26 PM MDT

I know you mean that as some sort of jab as I have seen you post that before ...
    lol

bishops and popes
    Bishops and Popes are a perfect example of man made doctrine. The name Jehovah was created by a Catholic monk. Whether you call your God Jehovah, Larry or Buddy, it's created by man on Earth.
      May 15, 2020 8:02 PM MDT

You could pretty much say that every name in English was created by someone, eh? Who created the English name Jesus, and when? Jehoshaphat?

Curious, are you back to pretending that you are just a non biased critic of JW's or are you back to admitting that you are a life long Catholic?
      May 15, 2020 8:16 PM MDT

You could pretty much say that every name in English was created by someone, eh? Who created the English name Jesus, and when? Jehoshaphat?
    Every name in every language was created by someone. Every concept, image, notion, theory, view, belief, or religion, was given a name by someone, eh? 

Curious, are you back to pretending that you are just a non biased critic of JW's or are you back to admitting that you are a life long Catholic?
    I am neither pretending nor admitting to anything. 
    I am less of a critic to JW's because I find their doctrine too illogical to the foundation of structuring Christianity. I've met JW's at public places (you know the ones carrying portable wire racks with Watchtower pamphlets) who could not answer questions. It's a lost cause, not worth pursuing. 

illogical

illogical

illogical

May 16, 2020 12:23 PM MDT

What's illogical about that? The fact that the English name Jesus was not used in the first century? The fact that you do not apply the same ridiculous thinking to other names as you do God's name?

The Bible was always written in the common language of the people. If you are Catholic, perhaps you think that Latin is a Holy language and God only speaks and understands that?
    If you are Muslim, perhaps you think that Arabic is a Holy language and God only speaks and understands that?
    Some Protestants seem to think that God is stuck in archaic English?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus - "The name “Jesus” is an Anglicisation of the Greek Ἰησοῦς (Iēsoûs), itself a Hellenisation of the Hebrew יהושע (Yehoshua) or Hebrew-Aramaic ישוע (Yeshua), meaning “YHWH rescues”. "

Some have suggested that Jesus may have been pronounced as Yeshua, Yehoshua, Yahshua, Yahshuah, Y'shua, Yeshu, Yeheshua, Yahushua or some other way, the first 4 of which are mentioned here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeshua_(disambiguation)
    Why keep English forms of Jesus and other names but substitute LORD for God’s name?

"Jesus" (pronounced /ˈdʒiːzəs/) is a transliteration, occurring in a number of languages and based on the Latin Iesus, of the Greek Ἰησοῦς (Iēsoûs), itself a Hellenisation of the Hebrew יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yĕhōšuă‘, Joshua) or Hebrew-Aramaic יֵשׁוּעַ (Yēšûă‘), meaning "Yahweh delivers (or rescues)".[25][26][27] "Christ" (pronounced /ˈkraɪst/) is a title derived from the Greek Χριστός (Christós), meaning the "Anointed One", a translation of the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Messiah).[
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus#Etymology

https://dictionary.babylon.com/jesus/
    Rakefet - Jesus [Latin of Greek Iesous from Hebrew Yeshua` contraction of Yehoshua` a proper name meaning savior or helper, or that which is spacious or widespread]
    Smith's Bible Dictionary - The Greek form of the name Joshua or Jeshua, a contraction of Jehoshua, that is, "help of Jehovah" or "saviour." (Numbers 13:16)
    Wikipedia English - "YHWH is salvation".

If you have a sincere question, ask it. Over the years of your bashing JW's on the internet, I have never seen a sincere question yet.

May 16, 2020 12:58 PM MDT

You're the one deeply involving your energy into the name of Jesus, not me.
    Jesus is a male name given to a human by his parents. 
    Jezi, Yesu, Jesu, Исус, ईसा / عيسى, イエス, ഈശോ, عیسیٰ, Ісус. 
    Read and write Jesus in any language you desire. They've all been developed by humankind on Earth.
    Like I said, every concept, image, notion, theory, view, belief, or religion, was given a name by someone in different languages; humankind on Earth.
      May 17, 2020 7:27 AM MDT

So then you were just making conversation in relation to when God's name was translated in to English? Kind of redundant as you have said that many many many times on answerbag and answermug. Kind of like a broken record.
      May 17, 2020 7:53 AM MDT

"Kind of like a broken record."

So are the repeated lengthy postings of  biblical text that nobody reads in vain circular-logic attempts at actual proof of the God, creation, immaculate conception, and resurrection myths.
      May 17, 2020 8:06 AM MDT

Yet ones like you often post in the religion section. Perhaps I should follow you around and post that all atheist believe that man came from monkeys so you can get the point of my post to antibiotic?
    Have you ever heard that misconception? Has anyone spent years of clogging your post saying that?

If post about God bother you, it shouldn't be too hard to avoid them, eh?
    Yet you sometimes start threads to stir the pot just so you can say how tired you are of hearing it. Go figure?
      May 17, 2020 9:50 AM MDT

You don't seem to get the point, nor are you seeming to make one. 
    As I said earlier,  You can call your God Jehovah, Larry or Buddy. I don't care what you call this man who you believe created the universe. I don't care how you translate Larry to English. I don't care how how you translate Buddy to English.Your God's name was created by humankind on Earth, just as humankind also create names for their own children, pets and tow trucks.

You've defended the notion that Jehovah is a a man, since he speaks (has vocal cords), has hands, can see, and has feelings and emotions because he is a jealous god. He must have lungs; does he breathe oxygen or other gas?
      May 17, 2020 2:13 PM MDT

Thank you for your opinion and your permission.
      May 17, 2020 4:23 PM MDT

Stay healthy. Stay safe. Wash your hands frequently and try not to touch your face until after you do.
      May 17, 2020 6:51 PM MDT

And now thank you for your advice!. lol
      May 18, 2020 7:12 AM MDT