Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why do the most exotic mystical mysterious creatures on earth live in the oceans?

Why do the most exotic mystical mysterious creatures on earth live in the oceans?

Posted - May 5, 2020

Responses

I don't know if anyone really knows, though I have read one point that when you live entirely submerged you are free of constraints that mean most of the larger land animals have essentially the same morphology: 4 limbs and a body all supported by a skeleton of rigid bones articulated for movement, and a skin usually covered with fur or feathers - we are the exception. The reptiles have scales in place of hair.  

Whereas in the deep sea, anything goes as a far as style is concerned. Free-swimming fish and marine mammals have skeletons and are generally shaped for efficient movement through water, but the invertebrates don't need bother with such niceties!

What's peculiar too is just how richly coloured are many sea animals, considering they live in a world that is colourful where shallow but becomes predominantly blue then dark with depth.

At one time studying deep-sea animals could only be done by trawling the poor things up, but with modern equipment biologists can observe them going about their normal lives in the wild. 

I do wish I could swim (I can't because I do not float), because I live at the seaside and would love to go snorkelling around the rockier areas, just looking at the seaweeds and the little animals living among them.  
      May 5, 2020 4:15 PM MDT

It just boggles my mind Durdle. What lives beneath the oceans can't  possibly exist but exist it does. I expect for those who enjoy snorkeling or whatever you call it a big part of the lure is incredible beauty. Other worldly. Something that Disney created for another fantasy movie. I wonder what other wonders exist that we do not know about? Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply. I guess underwater life fascinates you too.  Documentaries we see of what explorers of the seas see always amaze me. Is it braver to go under the water to see what's there or high up in the sky to see what's there? What causes some to be so very brave while others (like me) are not? Happy Wednesday and hopefully you and yours are doing well all things considered! :)
      May 6, 2020 2:28 AM MDT

Thank you Rosie!

It's actually Friday evening now, as I don't come on here every day, but never mind!

I have always had a broad general interest in science. I can't really say which would be the safer to explore, but a lot of deep-sea work is now done with remotely-operated vehicles so if anything does go wrong, you might lose a very expensive machine, but no lives.  They still do use special manned submarines though.

One of the biggest surprises the oceanographers had was when they explore the ocean-bed geological features called "spreading ridges" - where the Earth's crust has split into two plates that are slowly drifting apart. The break is sealed as it happens by magma emerging from far below and solidifying; but these places also hold springs of very hot solutions of minerals dissolved from the rock.

The geologists thought the springs would be barren, or have only very sparse life around them; so were startled and delighted to switch on the cameras and lights and see loads of sea-worms and small fish quite close to these underwater fountains. The biologists came and looked, and spotted that the mineral solutions, which would be poisonous to many animals, support special types of bacteria in the cooler fringes of the springs. Those are eaten by the little fan-worms, sponges and similar creatures - which in turn are dinner for the fish!  

The springs themselves are beautiful things, as the minerals cool and crystallise around the openings to form hollow stalagmite-like tubes standing up from the sea-bed.

The oceans are deep, dark, mysterious, powerful and fascinating places! 
      May 8, 2020 2:54 PM MDT