Active Now

Shuhak
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Why do some people care so much whether or not others believe in God?

Why do some people care so much whether or not others believe in God?

Posted - May 5, 2020

Responses

Beats me.  I don't care personally and I can't think of any time in my adult life that anyone ever inquired as to my religion.  There was someone many years ago who was a friend of a guy I was dating.  He found out I was Jewish and, being the good anti-Semite he was, spent a lot of time making nasty comments and remarks about Jews when he was around me.  Well, one July 4th weekend, I was away at a family gathering and when I came home, found out that Jimmy, who was a biker, managed to have an encounter with a tree.  The tree survived and Jimmy became one of God's chosen people.  
      May 5, 2020 10:17 PM MDT

Jewish or dead?
      May 5, 2020 11:15 PM MDT

Dead.
      May 6, 2020 6:43 AM MDT

Why do some people care whether or not others do not believe in God?
    ~
      May 5, 2020 11:12 PM MDT

Exactly.
      May 5, 2020 11:14 PM MDT

I read it as dead. 

~
      May 6, 2020 1:26 AM MDT

You read it correctly.  Karma catches up sooner or later.
      May 6, 2020 6:43 AM MDT

• People think their beliefs would be better for everyone if they shared them, so they feel the need to try and convince others and change their beliefs, if possible. This could apply to any belief, but it applies especially to religion. That's not how I've ever viewed it myself, though. Religious beliefs are deeply personal and while I will share them if asked, I'm not out to change anyone's mind. 
      May 5, 2020 11:32 PM MDT

Because I  think way deep down they do not feel significantly convinced that there is a God/spirit. (it's hard to feel convinced anyway about something they never have seen real evidence for) They continually try to force themselves to believe by going to church regularly,  studying the Bible, praying, communicating with other Christians... etc.  So when they come in contact with a non-believer/non-Christian it might rattle them up a bit; a subtle notion of feeling unconvinced again that they been trying so hard to supress. This post was edited by Kittigate at May 6, 2020 4:43 PM MDT
      May 5, 2020 11:34 PM MDT

For the same reason some people care why some people care so much whether or not others believe in God, I suppose. 
      May 5, 2020 11:42 PM MDT

Varies.

Some believe they are not being good believers unless they're converting others,
    because, according to their scriptures,
    their prophets (Jesus or Mohammed) instructed them to spread the word.

Some believe that all non-believers are destined for hell
    and want to save them from the suffering of the damned.

Maybe it is more comfortable to surround oneself with others who think the same way,
    and out there in the workplace it's not always so easy to find.
    Ego and self-image are propped up when others agree.
    With fellow believers, there is more support when moments of doubt arise.

Conversely, many atheists think much of the world's most unnecessary suffering is due to belief in God
    and the differences between the various religions and sects.
    They believe the world would be a healthier and happier place if we all followed science and logic,
    including the specific logic of emotional and social intelligence.
    Richard Dawkins would be the most well known and strident advocate of atheism. He sees religion as far more harmful than beneficial.

This post was edited by inky at May 6, 2020 4:44 PM MDT
      May 5, 2020 11:44 PM MDT

Richard Dawkins seems such a clever well informed guy considering how many completly innocent normal people were slaughtered I'm their millions by religious nut nuts trying desperatly to force they views on them all..
    Who but the mentally insane would sacrifice men ,women  children and babies to some imaginary make belive evil thing no one has ever seen of encounter unless drunk of off their cake on what they've drunk or I other ways ingested. 
    Teach a baby nonsense from birth and the would world has a problem...just look to the Middle East if ever you need proof....Dis believe and you still get your head chopped off...  
      May 6, 2020 2:28 AM MDT

And I bet he's fun at parties - not. Probably doesn't get invited, he's a joyless lump of gristle whose only interest in life is prolonging the misery and making everybody else as miserable as he is.
      May 6, 2020 2:32 AM MDT

Who are you talking about ? 
      May 6, 2020 4:26 PM MDT

He denied his only daughter a childhood. No fairy tales for her.
      May 7, 2020 5:12 AM MDT

I've never heard of him ,so how did he do that ? 
      May 7, 2020 5:23 AM MDT

I just looked him up ...I do recognize him....he's  a very astute scientist and a follower of Charkes Darwin......
    The man is nothing more that a genius ...
      May 7, 2020 5:32 AM MDT

No taste for intellectuals, huh. 
      May 6, 2020 4:47 PM MDT

A large part of it is that those who believe insist on trying to legislate their belief onto everyone.
    When one insists on viewing government as an extension of your religious views - it's natural that anyone who participates in government will also question your religious views.  Because when you combine your religious views with governance, your religious views affect everyone's daily life more than if you kept them as a strictly religious view.
      May 6, 2020 7:40 AM MDT

I do know. Personally I believe. 

I do not dislike or care if someone does not believe.  If someone sounds as if they are interested I will of course offer help. 

I do not find that preaching at someone helps bring that person to the Lord.  

May 6, 2020 7:53 AM MDT

Some people are compelled by the
    tenets of their faith to proselytize; to “spread the Good News”; to shun non-believers; or to convert (or kill) the infidel, to kill apostates and heretics. 

These concerns rarely arise outside of religious prompting. 

May 6, 2020 5:37 PM MDT

Except Mao Zedong, Josip Zhugashvili (Stalin), Pol Pot et al who killed millions for daring to believe at all.
      May 7, 2020 5:14 AM MDT

Tyrants will apply any reason to eliminate dissent. Prejudicial beliefs of any stripe are often impetus for genocide. 
      May 7, 2020 5:56 AM MDT

Some love their neighbors regardless of their belief and want to share their hope with them.

Others despise anyone that doesn't believe what they believe or don't believe and want to ridicule, demean and insult anyone that believes differently.
      May 6, 2020 6:04 PM MDT