Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Language » Evolution of language. Isn't it a very simple concept in general that there are right ways and wrong ways to use language(s)?

Evolution of language. Isn't it a very simple concept in general that there are right ways and wrong ways to use language(s)?

Some people are quick to point out that language evolves, and I agree that it does. Their point might be that the evolution of language is supposed to be accepted or acceptable merely because it happens, yet I counter that there are certainly some instances that show evolution of some things had negative connotations.  When it comes to language, it can be used correctly, neutrally, or incorrectly. Additionally, time, place, context and audience are important considerations for how one speaks or writes.
  Even with my person stance on the subject of proper English, I have long acknowledged that I am not perfect. That being said, we as humans are susceptible to our environments, those being of time period, place, surroundings, culture, customs, people, media, etc. The same English I speak in 20th and 21st century North America would be largely unrecognizable in 16th and 17th century Anglo-Saxon Europe, or almost anywhere in 24th or 25th century planet earth.

To babysit, as a verb, should be followed with the preposition “with“.  Jeannette babysat with the Randall twins for $10 an hour.

When referring to or pointing out someone, “It was him” is incorrect. It should be, “It was he.” 

The word “suffer” was once a synonym of “allow” or ”permit”.

The word “nice” once had the exact opposite meaning than it has today.

Boy and girl were once a single word similar to “child”.

The word “bother” was a euphemism for the word “rape”.

The word “photograph” was considered scandalously misused when abbreviated to “photo”.

Married women were referred to by Mrs. followed by their husbands’ first and last names. For instance, Mr. and Mrs. Randy D, or Mrs. Randy D. The woman’s first name was often omitted entirely.

The contraction of the words “there is” is often misused when the subject is a plural. “There’s six people waiting for you” should read “There’re six people waiting for you” or “There are six people waiting for you”.

Do you know of any other ways the English language has evolved, either positively or negatively?
~

Posted - May 9, 2020

Responses

Funny you should mention this.  I was thinking about this very subject the other day.  Lyrics to music has had a very big impact on our language.  I remember not too long ago when someone said "24/7," I was horrified.  It was a gang term, every time someone said it the hair stood up on my head.  Now it is just another term everyone uses.  Proper English is not stressed anymore.  Some educated people say "I seen it," which is another one that absolutely rankles my nerves. OMG, it is such a pet peeve of mine.  

Of course, don't listen while I wait forever for this answer to upload.  Then again it may not and you will never hear my answer. 
      May 9, 2020 6:06 PM MDT

I seen
    I seent
    libary
    should of
    could of
    would of
    had went
    norf (north)
    souf (south)
    me and another person

Grrrrrrrr. 

May 9, 2020 6:21 PM MDT

It still bothers me that "literally" is now used as a synonym for "figuratively." I guess that was always an "accepted" definition but I'd never heard it used as such until recent years. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. 
      May 9, 2020 7:21 PM MDT

So like I’m literally floored by that ;its like the worse thing they could of dun two peeple like me whom have went thru sew mulch too putt english like on a hire pedistol then N-e other langwidge ever Im all like know dey dent .For reals

May 9, 2020 7:29 PM MDT

I frequently posit that language, and more especially, the use of it evolves. I don't say that it's right or wrong, good or bad. Often it just 'does'. 

There are gazillions of examples but the only one I can think of at this time is groovy. In the 60's it was apparently a positive word for trendy and cool. When I was growing up groovy was an insult, as in someone really unfashionable and nerdy. I believe it swung back to a positive meaning for the following generation.

With the examples you gave above, was it not the case that some of those words, e.g. suffer and bother had several meanings simultaneously? 
      May 10, 2020 10:52 AM MDT

It's all good, man. Chillax. For reals. 

July 9, 2022 7:17 PM MDT