Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » South Africa got rid of Apartheid. Did it get rid of RACISM too? America is still a RACIST country. Is it the most or just one of the most?

South Africa got rid of Apartheid. Did it get rid of RACISM too? America is still a RACIST country. Is it the most or just one of the most?

Posted - May 10, 2020

Responses

Nowhere has ever gotten rid of racism. "He is different and therefore a barbarian." Minorities get marginalized, race is one way of doing that.
    In Zimbabwe it reversed - whites are now a persecuted minority there.
      May 10, 2020 8:00 AM MDT

You gotta be kidding me! RECIPROCITY? TURNABOUT? The targeter is now the targetee? HOW SWEET IT IS. Gonna ask. Why is racisim a disease that cannot be stamped out. Gonna ask that too. Thank you for your reply R! :)
      May 10, 2020 8:05 AM MDT

It's not always as clear cut as black and white, either. The Twelve Tribes have been persecuted for 5000 years just for existing. The South Chinese, "the Jews of the East", are reviled throughout the rest of Asia. Hutus and Tutsis are equally black, but hate the sight of each other's shadow.
      May 12, 2020 7:04 AM MDT

Believe it or not R remember OLD SCHOOL from Answerbag? That was his stock reply to almost every question I ever asked. "It's complicated". It made us laugh when he said it and I reacted to it. Of course it is true. The more you research dig investigate the more complex things can become. Surface superficial snapshot doesn't begin to explain anything! Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply m'dear. So can you tell me if anything isn't? Complicated that is? If you follow through long enough do you find complexity in everything? If so AARRGGHH! :( This post was edited by RosieG at May 12, 2020 7:08 AM MDT
      May 12, 2020 7:07 AM MDT

As slati said.. South Africa didn't get rid of racism.. the black, (perhaps rightly?) hate the whites and still resent them.. the whites probably still hate the blacks. It's a very dangerous place for white people and was even before apartheid 
      May 10, 2020 11:18 AM MDT

That is sad. So very sad. I guess "better than" is an inborn defect among homo saps. A basic "need" without which they cannot survive. Dumb. Thank you for your reply Addb. Now comes a "what if" question.
      May 11, 2020 2:35 AM MDT

I wouldn't say it's inevitable or even inbuilt.. I think that with South Africa has a whole long history and culture that has contributed to how things were and how things are now.. different places will have different issues and different influences.
      May 11, 2020 1:25 PM MDT

I dunno m'dear. Whether it is religion or politics or business or society isn't it a driving need to be thought of as "BETTER THAN"? Isn't that how groups perceive one another? Whatever group they are in is "better than" those they aren't. Where does that not apply at some level in some way? I'm just saying I think feeling superior is part of human dna. Is that true of other animals? I shall ask. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 12, 2020 7:12 AM MDT

LOl well I disagree! I don't believe it's in the dna.. Uk isn't a religious country... and while we are far from perfect we are less racist. I guess with less religion we don't have as much need to feel superior? In which case religion or certain forms of it are a large part of the issue? Re politics - we really don't see the divide you guys experience.. I don't vote conservative.. but I don't in any way hate the conservatives... I believe mos of the time most parties do a fairly good job of running the country.. So for these reasons I think the issue is societal and learned rather than innate.. 
      May 12, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

Interesting response Addb. I did not know you looked down upon those who believe in something beyond the finite. I wonder why that is? I don't look down on Atheists. Why do they look down on me? T'is a question I've asked before that no one as yet has answered satisfactorily. Perhaps you can. I love broccoli. You may despise it. Does that make me less than you? You think that is an absurd example? I think it is very logical to ask it. We are wired differently. We are "victims" of that wiring. So I will continue on being puzzled I guess. Thank you for your reply. I expect your parents were not "religious" and so as the apple doesn't fall far from the tree you aren't either. Which you cannot help. Thank you for your reply. Of course I shall ask the question. This post was edited by RosieG at May 13, 2020 3:21 AM MDT
      May 13, 2020 2:42 AM MDT

Mans always dominated man as most want independence from God.
    (Jeremiah 10:23) I well know, O Jehovah, that man’s way does not belong to him. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.
    (Ecclesiastes 8:9) All of this I have seen, and I applied my heart to every work that has been done under the sun, during the time that man has dominated man to his harm.

(Acts 10:34, 35) At this Peter began to speak, and he said: “Now I truly understand that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.

Some of the most beautiful words ever written, outside of the words of our Lord Jesus on the sermon on the mount anyway.
    (Romans 12:17-21)
    Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.
      May 11, 2020 3:13 PM MDT

Hi tex. Long time no see. Hope all is well with thee and thine. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 13, 2020 2:32 AM MDT
      May 12, 2020 7:13 AM MDT

Hi Rosie, I am doing well, thank you.
    How are you and Jim?
    How are your sons? (Two, right?)
      May 12, 2020 4:45 PM MDT

We're doing fine m'dear. We are in the high-risk group as you know and so far so good.

We had three sons sweetie. Our eldest, David, passed away May 5, 2019 from bladder cancer he fought for a few years. We have two sons now. One lives in Fernley, Nevada with his wife and the other lives in Honolulu. Boy since we last chatted the world has really changed. I wonder how much more it will swing in the direction it's going before that pendulum starts swinging back? I guess we'll find out. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday tex! :):):) ((hugs)) This post was edited by RosieG at May 13, 2020 2:56 AM MDT
      May 13, 2020 2:35 AM MDT

So sorry for your loss Rosie. Although I have not experienced it myself, I know that outliving a child has to be one of the hardest things one could go through.
    From talking to people over the years, I gather that the anniversary of their passing away is very hard, especially the first one. Deepest sympathies to you and yours Rosie.
      May 13, 2020 3:02 AM MDT

Thank you my friend. Our daughter-in-law lives in Arizona and we love her dearly. She is the best thing that ever happened to David. We called her on that day and well you can imagine. They loved each other so dearly...second marriage for each. They had such an awesome relationship. Both very religious and basically serious but oh what fun they had! Much laughter in their lives. She has struggled through that first year. Her parents live with her. After David's passing they bought a house and she lives upstairs and they live downstairs. So she isn't alone which is a blessing. We keep the beautiful memorial pamphlet she had made with a wonderful picture of David in the front on our table so he is always there smiling at us. It warms us. I carry one of them in my purse as well. He was a VERY GOOD man. The memorial service was unbelievably loving. So many attended and embraced us and told us about how much they loved him. But I digress. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Oh. His favorite hymn was featured and we all sang it. They had a screen in front with the words on it. Everyone sang it and it will always be in my memory. It was a joyful hymn. So was David! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 13, 2020 3:12 AM MDT
      May 13, 2020 3:11 AM MDT

Rosie, I am so glad that David lived a full life and had not only loving parents and siblings, but was blessed with a wonderful wife as well. (Proverbs 31:10-31)

I am convinced that David is in Jehovah's memory and will be united with your loving family again. That time will not be like now with suffering and death. Was David a JW?

(Hosea 13:14) From the power of the Grave I will redeem them; From death I will recover them. Where are your stings, O Death? Where is your destructiveness, O Grave? Compassion will be concealed from my eyes.
    (Job 14:14, 15) If a man dies, can he live again? I will wait all the days of my compulsory service Until my relief comes. 15 You will call, and I will answer you. You will long for the work of your hands.
    (Psalm 37:10, 11) Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.
    (Revelation 21:4) And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
      May 13, 2020 3:49 AM MDT

Yes m'dear. He was and his wife is a Jehovah's Witness. I'm pretty sure we discussed that once upon a time in the long ago. In fact when people used to talk to other people in parking lots before social distancing more than once we'd be approach by a JV with a pamphlet and we'd tell him/her our son and daughter-in-law were JV's too and everyone relaxed because I think sometimes JV's are not treated with respect. Why that is I shall never understand. Thank you for your caring and very kind reply tex! I do feel David's presence all the time! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 13, 2020 3:59 AM MDT
      May 13, 2020 3:58 AM MDT

I didn't know which son as a JW but by your description of David and the loving Memorial service, I thought perhaps it was him?
    What was his favorite song?
    This is my current favorite: The New World to Come
    https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODOriginalSongs/pub-osg_58_VIDEO

Although Christians were always hated and persecuted, Jesus told us in Matthew 24:9-12 that it would increase in the last days and that because of the increasing of lawlessness, the love of the greater number will grow cold.

(2 Timothy 3:12) In fact, all those desiring to live with godly devotion in association with Christ Jesus will also be persecuted.
    (John 15:18-21) If the world hates you, you know that it has hated me before it hated you. 19 If you were part of the world, the world would be fond of what is its own. Now because you are no part of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, for this reason the world hates you. 20 Keep in mind the word I said to you: A slave is not greater than his master. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have observed my word, they will also observe yours. 21 But they will do all these things against you on account of my name, because they do not know the One who sent me.

May 13, 2020 4:34 AM MDT

That's lovely tex but no that wasn't it. Here it is!

We really want to imitate our God
    To be impartial as we know he is
    To save all sorts of people is his will
    He welcomes all to come and to be his
    CHORUS
    It's the person not the place
    It's the heart and not the face
    God's message to all people we extend
    So because we really care
    We keep preaching everywhere
    All sorts of people can become God's friend.

There's more but our sweet Yolanda had it printed on the back of his memorial pamphlet. I did not want you to think I remembered it by myself. I have to tell you the folks there got really into it..especially "It's the person not the place it's the heart and not the face". We were rocking! Thank you for your reply tex. I sort of teared up a bit when I reread it just now! :) ((hugs)) This post was edited by RosieG at May 13, 2020 5:48 AM MDT
      May 13, 2020 5:29 AM MDT

Yes, love that song! Preaching to All Sorts of People

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/children/become-jehovahs-friend/songs/57-preaching-to-all-sorts-of-people/
      May 13, 2020 5:49 AM MDT

I knew you would. It is infectiously addictive and it just made me so happy singing it along with all the others who were there to honor our son. :) Thank you for the link m'dear. I appreciate it as I appreciate you! Take care tex! :)
      May 13, 2020 5:58 AM MDT

Good reason to get rid of religion then :P
      May 12, 2020 1:38 PM MDT

Why, because God is not partial?
    Really don't know where you got that from my post?
      May 12, 2020 2:32 PM MDT