Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » My only experience with prison is in movies or on TV. Never been in one in my entire life. Have you? Ever visit one or know an ex con?

My only experience with prison is in movies or on TV. Never been in one in my entire life. Have you? Ever visit one or know an ex con?

My idea of prison is once you're there everyone can attack you beat you rape you whatever to you and no one lifts a finger to interfere. Including guards. That's what it appears to be like. Is it really that way? Once you're in prison anything goes? I'm scaring myself.

It happens.

Posted - May 10, 2020

Responses

Known a few - armed robbers, drug peddlers, etc. I toyed with the idea of becoming a prison chaplain at one time.

It can be like that, but not often. Most prison guards/correctional service personnel (an ex-gf of mine was one) are conscientious - like cops, you get a few bad apples who sully the reputation of the profession as a whole, but they are a minority.
      May 10, 2020 8:27 AM MDT

Our conversation triggered all that Thank for your FIRST PERSON knowledge and not just an opinion. I appreciate that R. I'm pretty sure Maureen wouldn't want you anywhere doing anything in any prison for any reason. In the olden days the clergy were safe from harm...nuns and priests were off limits. At least so it seemed. NOW. Sheesh. :) Are you now in your Monday? This post was edited by RosieG at May 12, 2020 3:04 AM MDT
      May 10, 2020 8:42 AM MDT

Not really, her parents ran a home for delinquent boys when she was little. She also visited a friend in prison several times, I got to know him quite well.
      May 13, 2020 2:48 AM MDT

My nephew spent a few years in prison (because he was a lazy dumba**) and many years in various jails.   While in prison, he continuously phoned grandma (collect) to beg her to send him paper, pens, and postage stamps.  He claimed he wanted then so he could write to people.  In reality, he only wanted them for barter (because none of the rest of the family would put money on his credit).  We all told her to block the calls as he was only using her, but she refused to listen.  When he finally came out he was sporting a prison tat (not sure what that cost him).

May 10, 2020 9:58 AM MDT

"The black sheep"? I always wonder how that happens. Some glitch somewhere causes a person to go "in the wrong direction". Can the glitch be unglitched? Thank you for your informative reply Shuhak. Having to be on guard with a relative must be very disheartening! :)
      May 11, 2020 2:31 AM MDT

No "glitch" with him, just lazyitis.
      May 11, 2020 9:27 AM MDT

Lazy? Oy vey! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      May 11, 2020 9:38 AM MDT

It sounds like my half-brother but only when he calls my mom she puts all the money he wants in his account even when she can't afford it. 
      May 11, 2020 6:22 PM MDT

That is so sad Liv. :(
      May 12, 2020 8:57 AM MDT

I have never had any first-hand experience with being in prison nor am I aware of anyone I know having been incarcerated.  Happy Mother's Day, Rosie. :)
      May 10, 2020 3:32 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply L and for the "Happy Mother's Day". I appreciate both. Well in my real life to my knowledge I've never known anyone but there was an Answerbag member who moniker was "excon". That's as close as I got. Certainly as close as I ever want to get. :)
      May 11, 2020 2:33 AM MDT

He's still on here.  I guess that's my closest, too. :)
      May 11, 2020 7:13 AM MDT

He is? Huh! Well he never visits. Long ago on Answerbag we used to be best buds. I don't know what happened. People change. SIGH. Why is never for the better? Thank you for your reply L! :)
      May 11, 2020 9:45 AM MDT

Is it possible he doesn't realize you have your own corner?
      May 11, 2020 12:11 PM MDT

I have no idea sweetie. I'm not alphabetized as you well know so going down the list of possibilities must be complete to find me. Maybe he just hasn't bothered. Maybe he enjoys how he engages enough to not explore. Maybe he knows I'm here and just has no interest in engaging with me. Who knows? Gosh you know L years ago in the infancy of Answerbag there was a bagger named KEVIN with whom I was great friends. Wherever I went he went too. It didn't matter if it were a WHAT IF or fantasy or reality. The subject didn't matter nor the destination. He was a traveling companion for whatever reason. I miss those days. There was tight community at Answerbag. Once we had a POTLOCK party on the bag and brought various dishes connected with our heritage. Someone suggested I open a restaurant (they knew I love to cook) and so many folks participated in suggestions for naming it. That was then. This is now. A different world. But I have my memories. What did they decide to name my restaurant? Honestly I forget but it started with "Rosie's". But I digress. People change. What appealed to them once upon a time no longer does. He could be a fan of da big cheese. Thank you for your reply L. Any fan of da big cheese would NOT want to engage with me. I'd be the last thing they'd want to waste any time on. SIGH! :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 12, 2020 8:13 AM MDT
      May 12, 2020 3:24 AM MDT

I understand.  There was a cadre of friends on SodaHead which is how I started off.  Then one day, without any wanting, the owners of the site closed it down and we were all left hanging.  Fortunately, some of us had exchanged personal emails and we kept in touch for a bit, but then it was less frequently, until now it's pretty much a Happy Birthday or Merry Christmas.  
      May 12, 2020 6:10 AM MDT

That's precisely what happened to Answerbag L. I think it was in December 2015. No warning. Just goodbye goodluck so long! A few of us had stayed in touch elsewise. It was Old School who came here first from Answerbag and then said he was asked about me by a few old pals so I came on down to see what it was like and well here I be! Thank you for your reply. I suppose when new folks come into your life you have to make room for them by letting old ones go. I shall ask! :)
      May 12, 2020 6:43 AM MDT

I had a friend in my twenties, what you would call an extreme drinker and motorcycle buff. I extremely drank in my twenties too. He committed armed robbery when 17. A basic good kid but troubled because of what he did. He had people come to his home to check on him periodically and this probably made his parents cry. He made it to be a normal enough man.
    Where I worked though, a guy killed someone in a fight at 17 and he spent 5 years in prison. Bad guy label. He is swearing to never, ever go back and unbelievably through all the small crookery and respecting no-one he hasn't yet. He can't find a decent job because of his behavior because everybody kicks him out eventually. He told me how he bit a cops finger off while a group of girls watched him fight. Some people. Nobody else though. Good. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at May 11, 2020 6:18 PM MDT
      May 11, 2020 9:34 AM MDT

You "extremely drank" in your 20's CW? WHY? Geez Louise you're lucky you're still here and not dead from a broken liver or something. Sounds like a real "winner"! :( Thank you for your informative reply and Happy Monday! :)
      May 11, 2020 9:47 AM MDT

I had a brother who was in and out of jail most of his life. I visited him once.
      May 11, 2020 5:29 PM MDT

That must have been tough on you E. Older or younger brother? I always wanted to have an older brother growing up. Someone to watch out for me and over me on whom I could always count. I'm the older sister and that's different. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      May 12, 2020 3:12 AM MDT

Not that tough until nearly the end. We tried over and again to help him, but he continued abusing drugs and alcohol until he died 4 years ago. He was 60.
      May 12, 2020 8:13 AM MDT

Condolences. Life is a beautiful thing to waste. I don't have to tell you that E. You already know. Thank you for your reply. Oh I was going to look up skank. What is it? An over-the-hill skunk?
      May 12, 2020 8:56 AM MDT

An unsavory, nasty person usually referring to trailer-trash women.
      May 12, 2020 11:21 AM MDT