Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I wonder. During the other pendemics we have encountered were they as uptight about the economy as we are?

I wonder. During the other pendemics we have encountered were they as uptight about the economy as we are?

Or was their ONLY CONCERN STAYING ALIVE?

Is America the only country that puts the economy ahead of life? Or just the noisiest loudest most obnoxious about it?

Whatever.

Posted - May 11, 2020

Responses

There's actually a paper written in 2007 about the economic effects of the 1918 pandemic.
    The main problem is ... there is little economic data from that time.
    https://www.stlouisfed.org/~/media/files/pdfs/community-development/research-reports/pandemic_flu_report.pdf

The HIV pandemic has killed 36 million people since 1981.
    However, due to the nature of how it spreads, there has been little economic impact.

The flu pandemic of 1968 killed 1 million people.

The "asian flu" pandemic of 1956-1958 killed 2 million people.

Bank officials estimate that a "mild" pandemic, similar to the Hong Kong flu of 1968-69, could kill 1.4 million people and reduce global GDP by 0.7% in the first year, Bloomberg reported.  Oct 17, 2008

That's POINT seven percent. Put another way, global GDP would still be at 99.3% of normal.

Of course, when they did those numbers I doubt they took into account the economics of "shelter in place".  IE: They used figures of everybody still working.
      May 11, 2020 3:15 PM MDT

In what other pandemic did they force an entire country to stay home and not work?
      May 11, 2020 7:07 PM MDT