Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Allegedly in America we have 45,000 to 55,000 suicides a year. The COVID 19 virus may cause that to go higher. Ever consider it? WHY?

Allegedly in America we have 45,000 to 55,000 suicides a year. The COVID 19 virus may cause that to go higher. Ever consider it? WHY?

Posted - May 13, 2020

Responses

Over 32,000 people die from car accidents a year. 609,640 people die from cancer every year. 840,768 people die from cardiovascular disease every year. 26,339 to 52,664 die from the flu every year. 44,964 people die from suicide every year (as you mentioned). 49,157 people die from pneumonia every year. Ever consider those numbers?

Obviously, these numbers are approximated but they are still staggering nonetheless. The thing is, now that COVID-19 has taken center stage, most of the above fatalities go pretty much unreported or are ignored altogether. Why is that? Is it because of COVID-19 being worse than the other named causes of death or is it intentionally being blown out of proportion by the powers that be for other reasons?

Why have so many of our Constitutional rights been taken away due to COVID-19? Were the Constitutional rights of those who developed heart disease, cancer, the flu, pneumonia, taken away? Of course not. I'm no conspiracy theorist by any stretch of the imagination but I have to say, something isn't right with this whole COVID-19 thing. The numbers don't add up.
      May 13, 2020 10:30 AM MDT

Are you equating Covid-19, a highly contagious airborne virus, with car accidents, cancer and heart disease?
      May 13, 2020 12:09 PM MDT

:):):)
      May 14, 2020 1:33 AM MDT

You're missing the whole point of my answer. I could attempt to explain it to you but I'm sure you can figure it out.
      May 14, 2020 7:29 AM MDT

No, I haven't missed your point.  Your argument is comparing apples and kumquats.  Simply because more people die in car accidents or cancer or the flu or any other reason doesn't mean that we shouldn't be taking this virus more seriously.  You are able to go out when you need to do essential errands.  Why do you find it so difficult to understand that by remaining at home as often as possible, it will contain the spread of this virus?  Do you think it's more important for some woman to get her nails done or work out in the gym or any other non-essential activity than to help prevent the spread of the virus?  Do your constitutional rights to go out whenever you want without a mask or other face covering supersede my right to avoid people sneezing and coughing all over everyone?  
      May 14, 2020 8:06 AM MDT

Everyone is taking the virus seriously.  But we should not treat the entire country as if it is NYC.  It is not and the virus is not spreading as it did in NYC.  
      May 15, 2020 12:00 PM MDT

Tell you what - do whatever you want to do.  I really don't care and apparently, you don't either.  
      May 15, 2020 12:10 PM MDT

I don't think you can spread cancer or heart disease.
    And we have proven treatments for the flu and pneumonia.

If you have a contagious disease, it's MY Right that YOU don't infect me.
    If you don't voluntarily isolate yourself - it is the Right of society to quarantine you, to protect others.
    Remember, your Rights end at the point that they endanger others.  Otherwise, human sacrifice would be allowed under "freedom of religion".
      May 13, 2020 12:30 PM MDT

People's rights are being trampled who are not sick. These people cannot make you sick....if they are not sick. 
      May 13, 2020 1:11 PM MDT

Are you saying that when there is no reliable testing, and people can be carrying the disease and transmitting it (without showing symptoms) - society shouldn't institute measures to protect everybody's health?

At the point there is reliable testing, and enough to test even those who don't show symptoms ... sure, the rules should change to only quarantine those who have the virus.

But if you TRULY believe society doesn't have the Right to limit your Rights due to health reasons ... explain why you didn't complain about the state/county Health Departments, previously.  They are the ones making the decisions.
      May 13, 2020 2:11 PM MDT

I do not believe anyone not sick should be forced to quarintine as if they were sick.   No country is testing everyone. 

My state/county health department is NOT who shut my business down for a month and half. That was the Mayor and city counsel.  And YES, I did complain. It was and is safer to come in my store than it is to go to any restaurant or Walmart/Home Depot/etc who were all allowed to sell my product that I was not allowed to sell. This post was edited by my2cents at May 14, 2020 7:03 AM MDT
      May 13, 2020 4:01 PM MDT

Exactly. Many understand that while many others don't want to understand it. It's quite clear that our civil liberties are under attack here and that should never be.
      May 14, 2020 7:40 AM MDT

Why do you refuse to understand that simply because someone doesn't show symptoms of this virus they can still be carriers and infect others?  People without any symptoms have tested positive for Covid-19.  That means they can infect you without actually experiencing sickness themselves.  Why is that so difficult for you to grasp?  
      May 14, 2020 8:09 AM MDT

And this is why we practice social distancing, masks, etc. This is not a reason to quarantine. Quarantine is for those who have the virus or are known to have been exposed to the virus. 

The reason for the stay at home order was to slow the spread so the hospitals and doctors are able to keep up with the need.  No until the virus is gone completely or a vaccine. 

NO country is testing 100% of their people.  
      May 14, 2020 10:20 AM MDT

I'm guessing you have no idea how difficult it is to social distance in a city that has 8.5 million people in 321 square miles.

Edited to include area of NYC. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at May 14, 2020 11:51 AM MDT
      May 14, 2020 11:47 AM MDT

OK.   But that does not mean the entire country should be shutdown.  That means that perhaps NYC should consider remaining shutdown.  

Again...My town opened on 5/4/2020.  We have not had one new case of Covid-19 as of 5/13/20 at 2:00pm last update.  We do still have 2 active cases in the county both were diagnosed before we reopened.    NO reason for my area to be shutdown and forced to quarantine.  Certainly not because NYC has problems social distancing.  Areas should be evaluated by the case data in their county/city...not state.  
      May 14, 2020 12:11 PM MDT

Well, apparently your mayor thinks otherwise.  People are mobile, do you really think that once you open up places people from one place will not travel to another?  But, it's your town, not mine and I can't worry about you when I have enough to be concerned about right in my own backyard.  
      May 15, 2020 8:00 AM MDT

I just told you we are OPEN.   And NO new cases. 

Each area needs to look at the data that applies to them....not NY not NYC not NJ or IL. And make decisions based on that information.   Yes.... still require social distancing and be ready in case of a spike in cases.   
      May 15, 2020 11:58 AM MDT

Do whatever you want.  I really don't care what happens in your neck of the woods.
      May 15, 2020 12:12 PM MDT

:):):)
      May 14, 2020 1:33 AM MDT

You also are missing the whole point of my answer.
      May 14, 2020 7:31 AM MDT

Why? Because sh*t happens.
      May 13, 2020 1:23 PM MDT

So you kill yourself? That makes so much sense to you apparently. Not to me. Different strokes.
      May 14, 2020 1:34 AM MDT

I didn't suggest that. All I said is that sh*t happens. Always has and always will. Don't try to guess at hidden meanings and don't put words in my mouth, thanks.
      May 14, 2020 3:32 AM MDT