Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Here’s a paradoxical Q for you: is all venom poisonous? (Thanks, Professor.) ~

Here’s a paradoxical Q for you: is all venom poisonous? (Thanks, Professor.) ~

Inspired by this question which was posted by another member:

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/106959/have-you-ever-encountered-a-poisonous-snake

Posted - May 13, 2020

Responses

No. You can ingest snake venom if you have no mouth sores of any kind.
      May 13, 2020 8:21 AM MDT

venom and poison do not equal same thing. they are both toxic but the difference is how they are delivered. 

poison is normally used as a defensive mechanism by passive prey animals (frogs, toads, insects) to avoid being killed/eaten 

venom is mainly used by predators to kill prey 

poison can be inhaled, absorbed, or swallowed 

venom HAS to be entered via the blood stream which is why it goes hand in hand with biting (or in a jellyfish, it is administered via needle like tentacles) 

this is why you can safely suck the venom out of a snake bite. (You could also probably drink a cup of venom and be ok provided you have no cuts in your mouth) 

anyway thanks for coming to my TED talk ! 
      May 13, 2020 8:49 AM MDT

I love you.
      May 13, 2020 6:03 PM MDT

Are they poisonous?

May 13, 2020 5:53 PM MDT

YES

Venom is a specialized type of poison, that has been evolved for a specific purpose.

However ... referring to organisms, being venomous and poisonous have different meanings.
    Venomous means the organism actively injects its prey with poison.
    Poisonous means the organism is toxic to touch or eat.
    Some organisms can be both.
      May 14, 2020 2:48 PM MDT

Sort of like those women who file overlapping (and utterly frivolous) restraining orders against their beaus, thereby putting a damper on the whole romance/love/affair/lust interlude thing, right?

(I have to create these narrowly-focused analogies in my mind in order to conceptualize the greater world that exists outside the vicinity of my crotchular area.)

~
      May 14, 2020 6:11 PM MDT