Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I wonder if our SEARCH for EXTRA TERRESTRIAL INTELLIGENCE (SETI) will have an end? Will we make contact or just give up?

I wonder if our SEARCH for EXTRA TERRESTRIAL INTELLIGENCE (SETI) will have an end? Will we make contact or just give up?

Posted - May 19, 2020

Responses

I think it will just fade away, though I believe the watchers have detected odd natural signals worth proper investigation.

Even if identifiably artificial radio signals were detected the time between their origin and arrival here would be in many years, and the further away the source the fainter and less identifiable the received signals for a given transmitter power.

The idea of communication relies on assuming both parties being at least equally, similarly and suitably highly developed technically, so that drastically lengthens the odds. It also assumes the listener realising the faint signal is artificial, understanding what it is and where it came from, and having a radio transmitter powerful enough to reply - each lengthening the odds still further.

Even if it was possible though, it would be a remarkably disjointed "conversation" thanks to the distances involved.

If the other planet is 20 light-years away then a single return would take 40 years - radio signals travel at the same speed as light. 
      May 21, 2020 3:51 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply to my question Durdle. I did some research and it blew my mind. I'm going to ask a question about it incorporating some of what I discovered. I doubt that the search will ever end. Maybe there will be breakthroughs that will cause us to find a way or have "the other" find a way to make contact. We are always making "breakthroughs" in science. The truth is out there. All we have to do is access it. Our species may develop further if we don't annihilate one another. I think I'm going to ask that question. Hope you and your are all safe healthwise and otherwise. Happy Friday! :)
      May 22, 2020 3:40 AM MDT