Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Vague Question Series. Do you like sadness? If so, why? If not, do you know anyone who does? ~

Vague Question Series. Do you like sadness? If so, why? If not, do you know anyone who does? ~

Posted - May 20, 2020

Responses

I don't know anyone who likes sadness.  
      May 20, 2020 6:20 PM MDT

No, and I tend to disassociate from buzzkills who do. 
      May 20, 2020 8:21 PM MDT

In some case, very definitely I like sadness.

Some of the most powerful and best movies for me are very sad. I enjoy that a movie, though sad, can be so moving and powerful. The best movie I've seen is very sad - - director Lars Von Trier's "Dancer in the Dark."
    And I really was overwhelmed by "Ordinary People." 

And my favorite painter - - Edward Hopper. His works strike me as very sad a lot of the time.

I guess I can quite often like sadness.

And music -  some of the best for me - - is very sad. Henryk Gorecki's entire "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs" is perhaps THE saddest music I've heard - - I cried when I first heard it --  how could I not like this kind of sadness?

And I might go ahead and post a lot of things that move me to sadness in somehow good-to-me ways.

Janet Baker singing Mahler's   'Kindertotenlieder: Songs on the Death of Children" - - I was in a music appreciation class when I first heard it -- and, with just listening, I started to quietly cry in front of others but I didn't care. The first music you hear in the video I posted is the movement that made me cry. 

Janet Baker with "Kindertotenlieder" - - the English translations to the original lyrics tore me up, too, as I listened to the beautiful music. Those last two lines especially -- within the context of the piece, that little star going out in my tent yet greetings to the dam* light shining on everyone.

"Now the sun wants to rise as brightly
    as if nothing terrible had happened during the night.
    The misfortune had happened only to me,
    but the sun shines equally on everyone.
    You must not enfold the night in you.
    You must sink it in eternal light.
    A little star went out in my tent!
    Greetings to the joyful light of the world"

The third and final movement of Gorecki's "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs"

1981 - Drama: Ordinary People | Golden Globes

Edward Hopper: the artist who evoked urban loneliness and ...

"Falling"   Julee Cruise  

Amazon.com: Watch Dancer in the Dark | Prime Video This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 25, 2020 9:42 PM MDT
      May 25, 2020 9:15 PM MDT

Once I stick in lots of things in an answer, I have trouble rearranging things. as far as adding stuff. 
    Anyway, please consider this just another addition to my other answer.

If you have a spare 50 minutes, David Lycnch's art/ music film, "Industrial Symphony No. 1: Dream of the Broken Hearted"  (featuring Julee Cruise) is great and sad. Yes, that's Laura Dern and Nicholas Cage in the beginning. most of the performance piece is Julee Cruise on a stage.

EDIT: It seems 'unpostable' -- but it's easily found on youtube or probably other places.
    Here's a direct link, too.

EDIT #2 : It takes about 22 seconds to start.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9xKt-SmRhM

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 25, 2020 10:17 PM MDT
      May 25, 2020 10:11 PM MDT