Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
my2cents
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Have you ever seen a wild animale do a real brave thing out of love?

Have you ever seen a wild animale do a real brave thing out of love?

Today at work I was trimming up some cedar hedges and a pair of small birds started flying real close to my head and they were chirping  at me like crazy. Turned out they were protecting their nest that probablly had eggs in it. I'm probably a 100X bigger then both those birds put together plus I had a 36 inch hedge clipper in my hands so I  thought it was very brave and loving of them. Cheers!

Posted - May 20, 2020

Responses

Totally Cool
    Communication
      May 20, 2020 6:36 PM MDT

We have birds around here called kilder - they build  their nests in  brush piles on the ground. If a predator starts getting close to the nest the male will get in front of the predator and start pretending it has a broking wing. The  predator will think it has a easy kill and go after the Kilder - the Kilder will keep hoping on the ground untill it gets the predator far away from the nest then it will  fly. away I've watched  them do it and figured they deserve an acting award because they make it look like they are ininjured. Cheers 
      May 20, 2020 7:01 PM MDT

I saw a video of a mother bear hugging a man who saved her cub from drowning.
      May 20, 2020 7:25 PM MDT

I  saw thar one too - it  blew my mind. Cheers!
      May 20, 2020 7:28 PM MDT

Are you saying that these birds in hand were not as important as those in your bush...
      May 20, 2020 7:46 PM MDT

Maybe  I  am  -  I could of had more wages in my hand if  I took the time to trim the hedges in the area that the nest was in.  But it was priceless watching my grounds keeping customers getting excited that soon they might have  baby birds hatching in their yard. Cheers!
      May 20, 2020 8:27 PM MDT

Eye think any birds on the nest together will always draw crowds.....Far far better to hide your Pen's if there are still Cob's on their tail.  :) 
      May 20, 2020 8:45 PM MDT

Many species make daring sacrifices to protect their young. I think it is difficult in most cases to ascribe such actions to love. Gallantry yes, and primal instinct, but love, IDK. 

I have seen small birds assault much larger hawks or eagles many times, when they approached their nests. (It doesn’t always end well for the small birds- they can easily be meals for eaglets) Bees and ants do the same thing, selflessly protect against threats to the colony. Anyone who’s ever whacked a nest of bees (yep, I’m one) will have seen this firsthand. I can‘t confirm love is the driving force, though. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 27, 2020 8:26 AM MDT
      May 20, 2020 8:17 PM MDT

I've had little  Robin Redbreast's land on my front and peck insects off me when I was stripping  Ivy off of a building...  How Ivy  got on there ,God knows...
    It was a bit embarrassing when the little feller got its pecker working ....he was just such a cute little nipper ,so I just stood perfectly still so he could enjoy his meal  for two most likely......

This story is completely true....only the words have been adulterted a tiny bit as its past midnight and well in to the more adult hours :( 
      May 20, 2020 8:30 PM MDT

Yes. There's a YouTube clip out there somewhere
    which shows a hippopotamus rescuing a zebra from the jaws of a crocodile.
    Apparently it's not that unusual for hippos to rescue other herbivores if the opportunity arises..

Though no one has ever seen a hippo save a human being from a croc.
    I wonder why...
      May 21, 2020 12:33 AM MDT

My sister had a hanging planter on her patio.  A couple of birds made their nest in there and laid three little blue eggs.  One day, my sister went to water the plant and seemingly from nowhere, one of the birds came flying at her full bore and landed in her hair.  My sister hadn't realized there was a nest there.  She was very careful after that when watering the plant.
      May 21, 2020 8:33 AM MDT

One morning, as I went zipping down the highway, I noticed two mourning doves on the highway. One was lying there motionless and the other was just standing there. I figured they musta been mates. Meanwhile, big trucks roared past, but the brave dove stood his ground. I didn't stop to see if it flew away. This post was edited by B.H.Wilson at May 27, 2020 8:27 AM MDT
      May 21, 2020 4:30 PM MDT

I have seen she Bears (cows) dive into the rapids and save a cub
      May 27, 2020 8:13 AM MDT

"Greater love hath no man than a mother cat dying to defend her kittens"
    - Robert A Heinlein, Starship Troopers
      May 27, 2020 9:53 AM MDT