Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Military » Don’t you just hate it when you’re expecting to see a good ol’ action-packed war movie, but it’s actually a soppy love story? Grrrrrrrr.

Don’t you just hate it when you’re expecting to see a good ol’ action-packed war movie, but it’s actually a soppy love story? Grrrrrrrr.

Men, now hear this: under all costs, stay away from the 1956 hankie-soaker “D-Day, Sixth of June” starring in part Robert Taylor, Dana Wynter, Edmund O’Brian, and Richard Todd. Whenever you get the word that it’s on the cinemagraphic horizon, grab your helmets and flak jackets, hunker down in a bunker to wait out the bombardment of sap and mush, avoid it like the plague. Don’t fall for the scuttlebutt that it’s a man’s movie based on its title; the enemy is pushing out the propaganda machine in full force to lull you into a booby trap of chickflickitis, as it is known in Latin. Consider this territory off limits.  Yick!

Posted - May 23, 2020

Responses

No I don't...nothing disgusts me more than watching men delighting in kiilling others so they can take some thing for free that doesn't belong to them....
    Look what the English,French ,Dutch and German people did to the American people so that they could steal their lands ....Why do so many people de'light in watching people kill themselves... 
    It  seems every tv channel and most American film made is over the top excessively violent...What is a matter with all the weirdo's that enjoy watching violent stupid films...Why do parents let their kids watch them...
    America use to make so many great films that made people think ...Today most all are pathetic ...If you are a father ,do you want you children to watch such crap or would prefer for them to grow up normal and non aggressive...
    My dad is huge and non aggressive, unless you are a fool and keep provoking him....
    I am not amused...:( 
      May 23, 2020 2:26 PM MDT

America's Leader

Americas Teacher

May 23, 2020 4:39 PM MDT

He makes me cringe every time I see his image...I'm afraid Mug rules don't permit me to say what I feel when I hear him speak...:( This post was edited by Nice Jugs at May 24, 2020 4:49 PM MDT
      May 23, 2020 4:46 PM MDT

You should try what I do; don’t ever listen to him. 

~

May 23, 2020 5:08 PM MDT

Like you ,I rarely listen to ignorant fools or bigots...  :(
      May 23, 2020 5:20 PM MDT

Me too.
      May 23, 2020 5:53 PM MDT

Sure do. Even with films that are mostly about the action... I'll watch some old Jackie Chan stuff, for instance, but there always has to be some love drama thrown in there. There's a time and a place, man--and this one is for broken bones!

After I rewatched Escape from Alcatraz a while ago, I read on Wikipedia that screenwriter Richard Tuggle had sent his script to a bunch of literary agents, and all of them rejected it: apparently, it lacked a love interest.
      May 23, 2020 2:26 PM MDT

Grrrrrrrrr
      May 23, 2020 4:24 PM MDT

IMO, the only films worth watching about D-Day are "The Longest Day" and "Saving Private Ryan."
      May 23, 2020 4:46 PM MDT

Saving private Ryan was exceptional...so many things reduced me to tears even thinking about them now...
    The little girl being given to Tom Hanks and the the girl hitting her dad when given back,just after the Sniper scene...The old mother slumping to the floor as an army vechile approached her home...Great film that depicts the horrors of war... 
      May 23, 2020 5:00 PM MDT

No “A Bridge Too Far” or “The Big Red One”?

(I’m not endorsing either one of them; I’m just asking.)

~

May 23, 2020 5:01 PM MDT

Not as memorable to me.
      May 23, 2020 5:44 PM MDT