Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » It seems to me that CONTACT TRACING is an incredibly difficult if not impossible thing to do. Backtracking the infection source. HOW?

It seems to me that CONTACT TRACING is an incredibly difficult if not impossible thing to do. Backtracking the infection source. HOW?

How do you contact someone's contacts and follow those tributaries and follow those and follow those and follow those?

How would you know the names and how to contact them? You're in a huge crowd of strangers and get sick. All those there have the potential to have gotten near enough to you to breathe in your droplets or whatever. and get sick or become carriers. Unless you KNOW everyone there and how to reach them where does contact tracing go? Needle in a haystack? If you miss one contact it may have lead you to hundreds of others. You can't know whom you didn't follow through with so what happens to those you miss?

Posted - May 26, 2020

Responses

I agree that it is virtually impossible to contact trace considering how may people we may come into contact with in any given period of time.  Not only that, what about those who are carriers but are asymptomatic and have no idea whom they may have infected?  I think to some extent, as cruel as it may sound, the virus will just have to play itself out, but distancing ourselves from others, wearing masks and washing our hands is clearly helpful in preventing the spread.
      May 26, 2020 9:55 AM MDT

That's what I think too L! As if the task weren't hard enough even if you knew everyone...they'd have to tell you everyone they came in contact with..then so on and so on and so on! Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      May 26, 2020 12:21 PM MDT

How do you contact trace if you ride o a crowded subway train standing next to ten+ strangers?  Happy Tuesday. :)
      May 26, 2020 3:27 PM MDT

PRECISELY! I mean of course it's good to do as much of that as you can but to think you can do it efficiently completely? How long will it take how much will it cost and in the end what good will it have done since people are now doing their best to pretend everything is swell again? SIGH. Well it occupies their time and they think they are being helpful but if it were possible to ascertain how effective it would be maybe no one would even bother. Thank you for your reply L. Oh. Have you ever ridden in subway? I get claustrophobic so I doubt I could handle it. Are there plenty of buses one can take above ground?
      May 27, 2020 3:13 AM MDT

Yes, I used to take the subway all the time until it became so crowded, hot and dirty that I started to take the express bus.  It costs more, but it's worth it.  Yes, there are plenty of buses above ground.
      May 27, 2020 9:28 AM MDT

Maybe if I grew up with it I could survive subways. But as it is the me who is would probably start screaming or pass out! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      May 27, 2020 12:16 PM MDT

If that was the fastest and easiest and least expensive way for you to get back and forth from work, you would get used to it.  There are subway lines that ride much of the way above ground until they get into Manhattan and then they go underground.  
      May 27, 2020 5:20 PM MDT

What was the rational of going underground L? The cost going down versus being up on the surface I bet is staggering. If that's a silly question apologies. Thank you for your reply! :) I suppose you're right. When push comes to shove you just do what ya gotta do! :)
      May 28, 2020 1:10 AM MDT

It goes underground when it gets to Manhattan to the stops there.  The elevated structures are generally in the outer boroughs.
      May 28, 2020 8:30 AM MDT

It is an incredibly difficult task but it is a vital task  to get the coronavirus  under controll. I was just thinking that people could make the task easier if they kept a log of their day to day activity. Like were they were at a certain time of day and who they had contact with. Cheers!
      May 26, 2020 10:18 AM MDT

I agree with both points Nanoose but I don't see how it can possibly be done effectively COMPLETELY. Some will be missed. Sigh. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 26, 2020 12:22 PM MDT

Vector (biology) Traditionally in medicine, a vector is an organism that does not cause disease itself but which spreads infection by conveying pathogens from one host to another.  (Internet)

When, HIV was first identified, "vector tracing" was very important---I guess the methods of tracing are pretty effective by now; but I agree, it would seem to be a difficult task.

This post was edited by tom jackson at May 26, 2020 1:45 PM MDT
      May 26, 2020 1:44 PM MDT

First they start with who you KNOW you were in contact with.  Family, friends, coworkers.

Next, they look at the locations you visited - and try to find who was there at that time.
    Sometimes this requires putting out a notification, asking for those who were at {such and such a place} at {such time} to come forward voluntarily.

May 26, 2020 3:10 PM MDT

How can they be sure those who were there READ the notices Walt? How crowded are subway trains for example? how often do you know the person jammed next to you. All I know of subways are what I've seen in the movies. Being claustrophobic I can't see myself down there at all. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 27, 2020 3:15 AM MDT

I've seen pictures of the subways and busses in NYC, since the "lockdown" went into effect ... and they seem overcrowded to me.
    Either people in NYC aren't really staying home as much as they should, or the system was massively overcrowded before the pandemic.
    Either way, it's no wonder the virus spread so much there.

Allegedly, the notices go out in multiple formats to increase the chances of people seeing/hearing about it.
    But yes, the health officials do plan that there will be a percentage of people who either don't see it or don't respond.
      May 27, 2020 7:05 AM MDT

As I understand it there are less people riding but the city has cut service so still crowded.
      May 27, 2020 7:28 AM MDT

Based on the prior weekend's activities and where we appear to headed OPEN WIDE WISE do you foresee grimmer ahead? How much how long and will be never recover from it?
      May 27, 2020 7:37 AM MDT