Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Spunky
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » To those of you who have more than one sibling (lucky you) are you closer to one than the other(s)?

To those of you who have more than one sibling (lucky you) are you closer to one than the other(s)?

I have one "baby" sister (she's 75) and I adore her. But I always wanted an older brother and I wonder if I had had one how we would have gotten along in old age.

Why did I want one? Well I was very shy and introverted and I always though an older brother could help me through the awkward stages of childhood. A shining night in armor who'd always look out for me. I expect that is what older brother are obligated to do aren't they? And not just when you're a kid but your entire life right?

Posted - May 27, 2020

Responses

Five brothers, one sister. I'm probably closest to.my youngest brother these days, he's the only one who keeps regular contact.
      May 27, 2020 9:47 AM MDT

It's nice that you have him R. Who else shares the same memories with you than your siblings? I have one baby sister whom I adore of course but well I always wished I had an older brother too. Would we be pals when we were old? I don't know but I sure would hope so. Maybe in time the others will reach out. Maybe in time they'll realize that time grows shorter not longer. Thank you for your reply m'dear and Happy Thursday(?) to thee and thine! :)
      May 27, 2020 10:03 AM MDT

I'm the oldest but not the biggest. Younger siblings can expect hand-me-downs, do you have any idea how incredibly galling it is to get hand-me-UPs?
    Didn't happen often, thankfully. My next two brothers were rough on clothes, they wore them out more often than outgrowing them.
      May 27, 2020 10:08 AM MDT

Oh m'dear. My baby sis got all my hand me downs. I cannot recall ever receiving a hand me up. On the other hand finding use in them was not a bad thing at all. Too many things are thrown out or set aside that still have a useful life in them. And size matters only intellectually in my opinion. That content is far more important than the packaging.  I say that all the time so you are probably bored hearing it. But it's true so what's a body to do? Stop saying what's true? Besides. Great things often come in small packages. You can't judge a book by its cover or a person by his/her size. I know. Stating the obvious again. What could it hurt? Thank you for your reply R! :)
      May 27, 2020 10:35 AM MDT

• I have two siblings, a brother and a sister. I'm the oldest, being three years older than my sister and eighteen years older than my brother who is 50 this year. Little brother was born after his dad's death and the truth is, his siblings raised him. The sibling relationship was between myself and my sister while growing up Our brother is more like our child, as we were mostly grown at his arrival. We all have a special bond with each other, but little brother is our pride and joy. The journey has been filled with special problems to overcome because of the circumstances of our father's early death. He is technically what you'd call a "half brother" but in our family there is no such thing as halves. We are all three very different in temperament and personality, but we are also very close.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 27, 2020 11:07 AM MDT
      May 27, 2020 11:04 AM MDT

I have one brother and one sister (both older).  I have never been “close” to either, but I’m furthest from my brother.  Beginning around the time I was 8 or 9 my brother became jealous of me.  I was smart and he … well… let’s just say he preferred brawn to brain (a bully).  When I was in my 20’s we even had a few physical fights (he initiated them and I lost).  He had problems (“burdened” with a kid at 19, alcohol, marital, etc.), I didn’t.  He refused to get a job (didn’t want to “work for the man”), I went on to college.  To him I “had it made” and he didn’t.   After his divorce, he moved out of state and I said good riddance.  Even when we talk, which is rare, he treats me like a little kid.

May 27, 2020 12:07 PM MDT