Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Getting worse? 40 million unemployment claims filed so far. Read more companies will be laying off thousands of people. Where will it end?

Getting worse? 40 million unemployment claims filed so far. Read more companies will be laying off thousands of people. Where will it end?

How many companies now closed will never reopen? How  many folks who had jobs will have to retrain to learn how to do something else? The number of unemployed seems staggeringly high. How long will it take to stablize? Months or years?

Posted - May 28, 2020

Responses

Wait until the backlash hits.  We’re only dealing with current lost revenue.  Lost tax revenue from this year will mean tighter budgets nest year.  That means less for police, fire and such, which in turn means layoffs in those sectors.   Less people working equals less sales (no income, no “extra” spending – new cars, real estate, large appliances, etc.).  Less sales means layoffs in other sectors (manufacturing, retail, etc.).    It took several years to recover from the 2008 “hiccup”.  This is far more serious than a few restaurants closing and low stock market returns. 

May 28, 2020 1:31 PM MDT

I'm grateful that Jim and I are retired. So far we are not being hurt but I know so many millions are in dire straits Shuhak and I see far worse ahead of us. What I don't understand is why donjohntrump hasn't taken a page out of the FDR book and created another WPA to repair roads and bridges. It is desperately needed. What's he waiting for? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      May 29, 2020 1:40 AM MDT

because there's nothing in it for him.  He can't think up new things.  Only rehash whats already been (why he thinks coal will save the country)
      May 29, 2020 9:56 AM MDT

Do you think he is finally winding up so tight he will pop some springs? Wouldn't the folks he put to work be grateful to him for doing that? I don't get it. I say that a lot as I also SIGH a lot these days. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      May 29, 2020 10:01 AM MDT