Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Do you believe that we are in the last days?

Do you believe that we are in the last days?

Personally, I feel that through gradualism, most have become complacent and feel that what mankind is dealing with is normal. Thoughts?

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/end-times-prophecy-sign/

Posted - May 29, 2020

Responses

Nope. Every generation since time immemorial has heard the dire preachments of death cults and doomsayers, all have the same 100% record of being wrong. 

Humankind will stumble forward long past our lifetimes here. 

May 29, 2020 4:47 AM MDT

Hello Don. "Every generation since time immemorial has heard the dire preachments of death cults and doomsayers, all have the same 100% record of being wrong."
    Don't know about them. What are some differences and similarities between their time and ours in relation to the scriptures about the last days?

"Humankind will stumble forward long past our lifetimes here."
    Absolutely! What do you think is supposed to happen after the last days?
      May 31, 2020 3:49 AM MDT

What do you mean you don’t know about them?  Within the past decade, there was the speculation that the ancient Mayan calendar predicted the world’s end in 2012, there have long been clerics and philosophers and many others throughout history claiming they knew when the works would end (dates that have come and gone without the suppositions playing out), the examples are practically endless. 

~

May 31, 2020 5:31 AM MDT

I've heard of some of those like the 2012 thing but don't know a whole lot about them. I am aware of the Jim Jones suicide and the Waco guy but don't know a whole lot about them. For sure I don't know about all of the ones mentioned in every generation nor the dire preachments of death cults and doomsayers since I don't share their beliefs and their beliefs have nothing to do with my Bible based beliefs. Some may look at the words of Jesus and the apostles as "dire preachments of death cults and doomsayers", but I don't see it that way. Do you?

EDIT: I was thinking that Don was mostly referring to past generations more so than our time. This post was edited by texasescimo at June 2, 2020 8:49 AM MDT
      May 31, 2020 6:06 AM MDT

Your question asked, “DO YOU BELIEVE we are [living] in the last days”.  Clearly, I stated I do not. 
    There is no more cause to think so now than there has ever been, as there is also no prevailing cause to lend credence to Biblical claims. Most, if not all of the End Times “symptoms” described in the NT and Revelation have been present in every generation, in every decade, and there have always been those like you -and worse- to extoll them as imminent to their contemporaries. 

The Bible is demonstrably wrong on the origin of life, the origins of the earth and the origin and history of man. Being so remarkably adrift about where we came from leaves no reason to assume it could be any more correct about where we are going. IMO.

Live in fear or anticipation of the end of the world if you like (though both positions strike me as rather stunted and sad), and those of us who give no weight to ominous myths and discredited legends will continue to live within the bounds of our own realities. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 31, 2020 8:29 AM MDT
      May 31, 2020 6:46 AM MDT

Your likely well meant as clear answers came through a little foggy with much of that. Can you clarify so I know where you are coming from?

1. What are some differences and similarities between their time and ours in relation to the scriptures about the last days?

2. What do you think is supposed to happen after the last days? 
      May 31, 2020 9:25 AM MDT

Being that the Judeo-Christian holy book presents no compelling merit to me beyond the literary weight I’d place on Grimm’s Fairy Tales, I can’t honestly say I find any value in expounding any further on such topics to one who hasn’t comprehended very well what I’ve said until now. 

“God knows” I have no inclination to inspire your posting of ever more quotes of scripture I won’t read. 

Just so you know where I am coming from. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 31, 2020 10:16 AM MDT
      May 31, 2020 9:48 AM MDT

Don't know why you posted to begin with? Many wars have been fought over sweeping generalizations. "I have my biased opinion and know need to consider the evidence", right? Perhaps some of us are considered less human or less evolved than others.
      May 31, 2020 10:37 AM MDT

No. But even if we are, what would be the point of knowing it? It would be like knowing in advance when one is going to die, which would interfere with the enjoyment of life.
      May 29, 2020 6:00 AM MDT

That is true to some extent, but I'm sure there are those who would like to know their expiration date for the simple reason of being able to do all the things they meant to do and kept putting off until there was no time left.  That might not interfere with the enjoyment of life, but enhance it.
      May 29, 2020 6:59 AM MDT

A truly wise person would live as if tomorrow was their last day, regardless. It might be. 
      May 29, 2020 2:46 PM MDT

It might be. Unless, of course, it isn't. The proverbial two possibilities.
      May 29, 2020 2:54 PM MDT

Then we are granted another day to pursue our best life. 
      May 29, 2020 2:57 PM MDT

I wonder if there any validity to the opposite train of thought: living as if one’s last day is far off into the future?
    ~

May 29, 2020 3:20 PM MDT

I think there is a spectrum to be observed there. Valid is good, but is merely valid enough? 

Every second lived is one less that remains, are we best served to take for granted we will always have more time?
    I suggest it is wiser not to. 

May 29, 2020 3:30 PM MDT

Words to live by. :)
      May 30, 2020 6:52 AM MDT

I started living life like time is running out about five years ago.  I sure am glad I did but glad I waited to.  If I'd started living like this when I was 18, I wouldn't have had much money to do things with and I wouldn't have accumulated enough to live well that way now.  So, while I whole heartedly support living in the moment, or the day, you have to spend some time planning your next meal etc.
      May 31, 2020 7:32 PM MDT

Hi Stu,
    Quote:"But even if we are, what would be the point of knowing it?" A lot, what do the scriptures say we should be doing?

(Zephaniah 2:3) Seek Jehovah, all you meek ones of the earth, Who observe his righteous decrees. Seek righteousness, seek meekness. Probably you will be concealed on the day of Jehovah’s anger.
    (John 17:3) This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.

(Matthew 24:14,42; Mark 13:33; 2 Timothy 3:1; Hebrews 3:14; Rev 18:4-8; Jon 3:10;Ezek 33:11; Matthew 28:19-20)

Quote: "It would be like knowing in advance when one is going to die, which would interfere with the enjoyment of life."
    Are you aware that according to the Bible, only the wicked are destroyed at Armageddon?
    What are you doing in opposition to God that would make you unhappy if you changed? Acts 20:35 ..‘There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.’”
      May 31, 2020 3:58 AM MDT

What ever happened to “I think” or “I believe” instead of “I feel”?  There’s a vast difference between an emotion and a thought/belief. 

~

May 29, 2020 6:10 AM MDT

What ever Whatever.
      May 29, 2020 6:29 AM MDT

Nope, not this time. 

~

May 29, 2020 6:35 AM MDT

Yes, this time. Just like the film title, "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane."
      May 29, 2020 6:43 AM MDT

I ain’t doin’ it, I refuse!  Grrrrr.
    ~

May 29, 2020 6:52 AM MDT

LOL. Grrrrr. The rule of thumb is when in doubt, assume Stu Bee is right because, well, just because.
      May 29, 2020 7:19 AM MDT